• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

THC & Dreaming?

SmoochieCuddlekins

Greenlighter
I wish i could post some links but i am on my phone and i can't get it to work...I have read that smoking marijuana reduces rem sleep and reports of users not dreaming and after stopping use they started dreaming again and able to recall more details. I have been smoking for about ten years pretty much everyday with month long breaks here and there. I would say i am able to rember more of my dreams during the breaks but when smoking i have no problem dreaming. What's your experience?

I am a daily cannabis user and I can say the fact that THC suppresses dreams is very much true, also, when I do not vape/smoke before bed I have extremely VIVID dreams.. And night sweats.. Oh and can't forget the restlessness while attempting to fall asleep.
Incase you were wondering, as my username insists, yes when I rarely do dream, it's always about opiates! Gotta love em.

pop an edible right when youre falling asleep for vivid dreams.

THC has no effect on my dreaming.

I dream every night. I look forward to them every night. They're incredibly detailed and almost always in certain "dream locales" that my mind has made up. Like there's a Frostburg, MD, and then there's a dream Frostburg, MD that's similar but so much more insanely awesome.

I love my dreams and they don't change when I stop smoking.

That said, I take melatonin frequently to help me get to sleep, and that may play a part.

^ Definitely plays a part.

I was reading something a while ago suggesting that THC/weed, shortens REM sleep. They suggested that this is why when users quit they experience more vivid dreams.

However, I sometimes dream very vividly whilst high & drunk. In fact, I had the most detailed, lengthy dream the other night whilst high and tipsy.

So with that being said, it's not certain how it affects dreaming. More often than not when I smoke I never dream. When I don't smoke I usually have a dream.

Melatonin is the best for vivid dreams. When I used to take that, every night I'd look forward to going to sleep. Just as Jib said.

One of the most disappointing things that has happened to me from using edibles for sleep is that I no longer remember any dreams. Recently I was at a conference on plant medicines and it was suggested to use mugwort and lavender to counteract this. I haven't noticed any improvement. I'm jealous that some people seem to have more vivid dreams. :(Polling my friends that also use pot for sleep, not remembering dreams is pretty common.

THC has no effect on my dreaming.

I dream every night. I look forward to them every night. They're incredibly detailed and almost always in certain "dream locales" that my mind has made up. Like there's a Frostburg, MD, and then there's a dream Frostburg, MD that's similar but so much more insanely awesome.

I love my dreams and they don't change when I stop smoking.

That said, I take melatonin frequently to help me get to sleep, and that may play a part.
It's also this way for me. But I hear that cannabis does disrupt your REM sleep but I guess that would happen if you go to sleep super high? I could never sleep while stoned and would only fall asleep after I was no longer stoned.

I wish i could post some links but i am on my phone and i can't get it to work...I have read that smoking marijuana reduces rem sleep and reports of users not dreaming and after stopping use they started dreaming again and able to recall more details. I have been smoking for about ten years pretty much everyday with month long breaks here and there. I would say i am able to rember more of my dreams during the breaks but when smoking i have no problem dreaming. What's your experience?

I've read that thc reduces REM sleep in users and more so with heavy use. IME, I would confirm this. Normally I only remember one dream if any and I feel as though I don't really get full sleep until the end of the night, probably as my body sobers up. Also, I used to be able to fall right asleep about 30-60 minutes after smoking when I first started. I didn't always fall asleep within 30-60min, except the first few weeks when I was trying to keep up with people who had been smoking for years. Now I notice I can't fall asleep until 60+ minutes if I'm really baked, like I have to sober up almost or wait until the high starts to wear off and then I start to get tired. Even if my body feels exhausted I'll be laying in bed tossing and turning or staring at the TV until it wears off.

Beyond a hit or two I don't really think it is beneficial for helping me fall asleep and based on what I have read believe it to be bad for sleep in general. No intoxicated sleep is more beneficial than healthy sober sleep.

As far as dreams, I haven't experienced vivid dreams when I smoke less. I haven't completely quit yet but I've drastically cut back and will go a day or two without. Definitely wake up feeling more rested though.

Yeah I love to recall my dreams, but I hardly every do when I goto bed stoned, which is alot.

Every now and then when I can't get weed I start to recall my dreams. Very detailed and fun dreams mostly, most often with people from my past in them and pets as well sometimes..

If I go a long time without weed the dreams get so full on but only once or maybe twice can I recall negative or somewhat scary dreams.

yep weed killed my dreaming... only when I happen to wake up early and fall back asleep i get the most vivid dreams...

Yeah I love to recall my dreams, but I hardly every do when I goto bed stoned, which is alot.

Every now and then when I can't get weed I start to recall my dreams. Very detailed and fun dreams mostly, most often with people from my past in them and pets as well sometimes..

If I go a long time without weed the dreams get so full on but only once or maybe twice can I recall negative or somewhat scary dreams.

Once you start getting used to dying some pretty fucked up deaths in your dreams, it starts to get hard to be scared by them.

I haven't had a scary dream or nightmare in so long.... I kind of forget what they're like. :(

Like, fucked up shit happens in my dreams but it never gets much of a reaction out of me. At the worst I'll hit panic mode in the dream, get maimed or some shit, and then everything goes to black and I just kind of monologue my thoughts to myself until I realize I'm dreaming or another dream begins. By the time I wake up all I can remember is how I completely owned that situation in my dream and everything's good.

It's kind of fucking eerie, tbh.

when Im on a binge of cannabis I dont dream, when I stop, I dream a lot.

I dream when im smoking but i also have wayy more vivid dreams during a t-break. Even months after my last toke.

this phenomena of rebound dreams has actually exhausted me at times.

It seems i enter into a new realm when i sleep without pot. Its quite exhausting really, because it feels as if Im constantly part of some sort of consciousness 24/7. These dreams are exceptionally creative and awe inspiring, with me waking up blown away by what i have just experienced.

Some involve me in some kind of Nintendo-style multi coloured wonderland, with me bouncing on bubbles suspended in the air and then diving into turquoise water. Others, Im in the middle of an apocalyptic like landscape with military and tanks shooting at me, hiding in buildings with me running for cover and trying to save people around me. It was funny that it wasnt ISIS, but US military shooting us down.

All this is quite absorbing and interesting.. I think its beneficial to get this REM sleep back and get an understanding of what 'real' sleep is every few days a week, because i always wake up much more alert and replenished.