• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous That insane sort of writing you can do on psychedelics.

Intoxo

Bluelighter
Does everyone know what I'm talking about?

There is a sort of drugged out psychedelic writing style, where the author's mind flattens and merges with the written word, like a farting balloon letting out the last of its gasses.

Anyway its a really peculiar style and I've seen it come from several independant sources. I know I'm guilty of a few posts with it, Yaetsom is too, hell- even the rotten core of "be here now" is totally written in that style.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

My main question is, looking back on something you've written, what is your reaction to it?
I read some of the volumes of old shit I wrote, and I get the most peculiar mix of emotions- 2 parts embarassment, 1 part excitement, and one part " 8) ".

I highly encourage anyone who hasn't tried it to buy a journal from your local bookstore, get a nice pen, and an eighth of mushrooms. When you figure out the universe or whatever it is you're thinking about, write it down. Its some bizarre shit, from a weird perspective, and it just might make you bust a gut laughing if you ever read it again.

What the hell is this effect?

Usually when Im tripping my thought processes are going so fast that before I can even write a sentence my last thought has since been made only the foundation of an entire branching tree of thoughts that all split into more and more. It just doesnt seem to make sense writing, because my thoughts are taking place so much faster than I can write them down, but something interesting always does manage to come out =)

See, I love writing that kind of stuff down, but if you go into a trip thinking about writing your thoughts down, it's going to take away from the trip. I'd rather trip and enjoy myself, then later recall the events as I can remember. Even with a high dose of mushies I've been able to remember what took place, although a lot of it is usually very hard to explain, as would it be just as equally hard to understand some of the things you wrote down while tripping.

I often attempt writing but all too often the same thing happens, as the trip progresses and the ideas get more interesting the handwriting becomes increasingly messier until eventually its pretty much scribbles.

Not really writing but I did find one peice of information that was rather interesting, not on psychs, this was on dxm, I had very bad double vision - to try and communicate to other people exactly how bad this double vision was I drew a dot with one eye closed, opened the other and moved the pen so that in my other eye the pen was over the dot and drew a second dot. The end result is a sober person crosses their eyes until the dots line up and then keeping your eyes like try and do something as simple as getting a glass of water - thats water dxm style :)

I know exactly what you're talking about, my handwriting looks like some awesome graffiti-tagging shit that flows amazingly when I eat mushrooms. Writing on mescaline is much more difficult I've found. Those are the only psychedelics I've written with.

I love writing while tripping. Some of the "higher-order" (for lack of a better term) psychedelics like mushrooms really severely alter my writing style, and I wouldn't want to post or publish anything in that style usually without going back and writing about the gist of it later. Some chemicals though like 2C-I allow me to write elaborately and uniquely, but very comprehensibly. In some cases I spend those trips writing and thinking and end up posting a trip report as is.

In any case, I always write during my trips and at least go back and read through it later to myself. It helps me to gather my thoughts and remember some of the more abstract happenings once I've come down.

Well it looks like you all know what I'm talking about.

That CHERISH LIFE caps in the middle of the page is exactly it- totally the same thing as Be Here Now. And the deeper thoughts to bad handwriting is a well known phenomonon as well.

As far as the whole "starting trip with intent to record" thing, I totally agree that messes up the trip. If I do that I get an odd state of mind where I'm documenting myself, effectively fracturing my personality and trampling on all the delicate magic of the trip. It reminds me of the quote that goes something like 'the man who leads two lives is half a man' or something.

I'm still interested in hearing about what your reactions are to your own writing, after the fact. Is it embarassing or charmingly naive to anyone else? I think judging that sort of stuff is a really interesting way to look in the mirror.

Usually when I look back on notes taken in the middle of trips, I feel a bit of embarassment, especially some of my early trips. Mostly though, it's fascinating to me and helps me to get back into that state of mind.

Three parts embarassed.
You want a sample from a trip last year? I wrote this, In bold, black letters, on the side of a post box, it is still there to this day, in a weird fatcaps/graffiti mix style.
"Whats funny? A chinese man holding a basketball walking down the street. But no, No audience could bring themselves to laugh at that."

The funny part is though, whenever I think about it, I always remember me, sitting there, frying my brain on DAMN good microdots, laughing at this chinese guy walking down the street, dribbling the ball.

Hey, You all would have laughed. Since then i've stopped writing.

When I'm really out of my head, and enjoying myself, sometimes i'll decide to go write some stuff out, or draw pictures. I've found that drawing while on DXM is a lot of fun- you feel the curves you're drawing. Other times i've found myself writing out random words to see what's going through my head.

It's always a little embarassing to look back on, but I think it helps give insight into your trips, and maybe a little conscious recognition of what it's doing to your brain.

All of my creative processes experience a temporary quantum leap after I have taken most psychedelics. I have experienced many bouts of automatic writing while tripping, and I am always amazed at what comes out of me. Once in college, I was taking this poetry seminar taught by the poet Elaine Equi, and I handed in this poem about horses that I found in my poems saved directory but had absolutely no recollection of having written it. I handed it in stating that I wasn't sure that I had written it though ;)

EDIT: I actually found a copy of the poem in my shitpile closet. Here it is...nothing too amazing, but interesting, and entirely out of character for my writing style at the time...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Picture Horses"

The man in question doesn't picture horses
when memories up and whisk for points of style,
his person away, leave that fellow he won't snuff out sentiments,
cupping her visages, to the issue of her horse filiality, I am meaning faces.

Transcendentally, he won't snuff out sentiments
to the issue of her horse filiality,
wants to say sniff out, cupping her visages, but holds off
for points of style, the man in question doesn't picture horses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After years of thinking about where that came from, I now think I do sorta maybe kinda remember writing it while in a dxm fugue state. Most of my writings that totally amaze me came out of many many many frequent back to back to back dxm experiences. I was even going to classes on dxm, and amazinlgy in sync with my creative abilities AND able to exhibit them in classes. It was one amazing strecth in my life for sure. LSD had several amazing flow experiences with creative endeavours for me as well. I spent my first lsd trip alone in front of a computer typing a delusional fever brained epiphany dialog between me, my newly discovered meta self and my friend who was planningon taking acid first together with me for my first time but ended up taking it the day before with this new bunch of friends he made. It was certainly an amazing thing though...the Joycian quality to the many threads of thought and the inerconnectiviety and interweaving gestaults of thought just blow me away even today when I read back on it. I could never formulate such a style to such a eep, multi strata out pouring of thought.

I also experienced bursts of tlanet in areas of drawing and collaging, as well as photoshop based art. You can check out my gallery for most of it if you care to. Every drawing, collage and piece of computer art was pretty much made while tripping. And bear in mind I have had no art training except art class in middle school and such.

Music I especially find to be aided by psychedelics. I am hyper prolific while on psychedelics. I can write 2-3 songs in a few hours completel through when I am in the mania uber mind. They just pour through me as if I am just some funnel guiding the etheric oils into the brain to lube the creative flow. Sometimes I have actually "felt" the presence of passed on family members, pets, and random other sentient presences while I am in the conduit mind. One time I wrote this song, "Unexpected Lightness of Being". It is more complex than I could really credit myself with having the overt ability to craft, but the night I wrote it I felt the presence of my dead father. I kept seeing in the corner of my eye the shape of a man dressed in flannel, which he always wore. I hadn't seen him since I was 13 and had only learned of his death by accident. I could have invented the whole scenario to fulfill something lost to me...I do believe we are the scriptors of our own realities for sure...but, if I am to believe my gut sense of what I am living through, he was there, and he gave me that song.

People interested in this topic should check out the book "Memetic Magic". It deals heavily with automatic drawing and what spiritual gateways it can open for communication with the supposed spiritworld. It is a great read and gives an interesting angle at least.

Also, if you want to hear the song I described above...here it is:

http://www.uberlabel.com/music/play.php?band_id=384&song_id=2068&mode=song_hifi

Last edited:
Intoxo said:
Its some bizarre shit, from a weird perspective, and it just might make you bust a gut laughing if you ever read it again.

What the hell is this effect?
I love re-reading the stuff that I have written whilst tripping. Mostly because I know that, although the trip has allowed my brain to release it, the information/creativity was there all along. And that is comforting to me!
But I more-so enjoy my drawings done whilst tripping =D Very very cool stuff.

I love doing this. Everytime I try to write while tripping, it comes out in the form of some mad scientist jotting down weird little notes. For instance:

Triangle= "3 eyes"
Try
"Treye" + "Angle"=
Perception of three eyes.
2 foundation
1 higher, "heyer"
and then i drew a little picture of a triangle with three eyes at all the points.

lol madness. Next time I'm gonna try to be more coherent, or write in a more lengthy fashion. More people should share their embarrassing trip out ramblings. :)

Haha when I did LSD for the first time my friends and I were having amazing, fast paced conversations about very interesting topics. We eventually came up with a one sentence "epiphany" and were DYING to write it down. We had a note pad, but forgot the pen in the car just across the parking lot. We were tripping so hard that on the way to get the pen, only a few hundred feet away, we got side tracked and didn't return for 6 FUCKING HOURS! haha i love lucy

haha, OP, talk to IGNVS about insane, trippy writing :)

See PD social for his wacky posts. Warning: might make you a little disoriented though ;)

On the most intense trip I had of my life, I in essence wrote down... everything.

I remember writing it down. I remember telling myself, "When you come down, you will not believe you felt this way. You will not believe you reached the limit of your existence, all you can do until death takes you away. Maybe writing it down will help convince you."