• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

That FIRST smoke of the day?

Yobytruk

Greenlighter
Hey I am sure it is with everyone, but that first smoke of the day whether its a joint or a good old fashioned cone, but that first original high that I get off the first smoke I inhale for the day gets me really intensely high and I feel at my peak with being stoned when I first get stoned..

So I've come to ask what exactly is happening in the human brain to make this first smoke of the day so good? I seem to never be able to get that first original high of the day again until the next day or I have a long enough sleep, I simply am just stoned like don't get me wrong I am still stoned just not anywhere close to feeling like I did with my first smoke of the day.

Like it instantly makes me want to interact with people and feels literally amazing.. possible theory?: maybe heaps of endorphines are being loaded out and then once my body gets use to the high, it contracts them? pure theory I got no idea how the brain works but I would love to work it out

I'm assuming it's releasing something in the brain that can only be recharged by sleep etc I am really not sure but would love to know guys

Last edited:
It comes like anything. The first cigarette of the day gives me a strong buzz. Any after that and I feel like I'm wasting my time. Same for weed. The brain hasnt produced that much dopamine for the day until you take a drug that may activate those receptors. So the first high of the day (off most drugs) whether they're GABAergics, dopaminergics or serotonergics, will get you the highest.

I don't know for certain but my guess is that it has to do with two things, the first being that in the morning, or whenever the first smoke comes, you've likely spent a long enough amount of time for your brain to return to fairly normal levels, or to put it simply you are completely sober. So on the first smoke of the day you experience going from completely sober to completely stoned, and it feels like a big change or atleast much bigger than going from partly stoned to stoned.

also I think it might have something to do with building a small "daily" tolerance. I think the more you use drugs that stimulate the brain, the less stimulation the drug causes over time. Part of that is possibly because the body becomes better at processing these chemicals and part of it is that you have less chemicals in storage ready to be stimulated... if that makes senese lol

i feel like my first smoke of the day doesn't necessarily get me the highhest unless it's within the first hour or two after waking up. Wake n' bakes get me like around 4-5x more stoned than if I smoked any other time of the day.

I have realized recently that I only get that really good buzz with a cigarette in the morning (I don't normally wake and bake only on some occasions like days off or when I'm sick) but if I don't go out right away its not as strong as it could be. I think its more of a "I'm still kinda half asleep" but then again i could be wrong.

Tolerance is the main reason. During the work week I don't puff until I get home and usually I only load two bong loads and call it a night. I get great highs that last until bedtime.

During weekends, since I love to smoke, I end up smoking more than needed. Strains have a ceiling. You can only get so high off your stash regardless if you smoke, eat or vape.

As one person said, when you truly get a good night of rest your brain kinda resets itself, so if you puff as soon as you wake up; that will indeed be the best high of the day.

This thread is making me want to take a few days off from puffing so I can get really baked come Monday night after work.

Yep after that first smoke of the day, it's all downhill from there unless you really smoke a lot. Tolerance is a bitch.

So I've come to ask what exactly is happening in the human brain to make this first smoke of the day so good?

when you smoke frequently, CB1 receptors internalize and tolerance develops. a portion of the CB1 receptors are literally pulled inside of the nerve cells so that they can't be agonized by the exogenous cannabinoids (this is the body's attempt to maintain homeostasis). when you go a period of time without smoking, they start to externalize again. so when you have that first smoke of the day, its been a while since you've smoked last so there are more externalized receptors available to bind cannabinoids. that is why you get higher.

Last edited:
I stopped smoking at work and the first high when I get home is amazing. I work to actively keep a low tolerance and then I started this habit, I get absolutely toasted off 1 hit nowadays unless the weed really sucks. Roughly 24 hours between tokes, not every 2 hours, the difference is like night and day.

I stopped smoking at work and the first high when I get home is amazing. I work to actively keep a low tolerance and then I started this habit, I get absolutely toasted off 1 hit nowadays unless the weed really sucks. Roughly 24 hours between tokes, not every 2 hours, the difference is like night and day.

Same here. If it wasn't for work, I'd puff more than needed and not get that enjoyment I get now after a long hard day.

I noticed Im not as irritable all the time when sober either and sleep isnt as impossible as it used to be. That irritability was a killer, snapping at loved ones who did nothing wrong was straining my relationships. I love Mary Jane immensely but I feel like Im a better person since cutting back so heavily. Sure was hard at first though...

I noticed Im not as irritable all the time when sober either and sleep isnt as impossible as it used to be. That irritability was a killer, snapping at loved ones who did nothing wrong was straining my relationships. I love Mary Jane immensely but I feel like Im a better person since cutting back so heavily. Sure was hard at first though...

My big thing is I LOVE smoking. I refuse to pick up cigs or smoke blends to feed this need. So on weekends, I still puff nonstop smoking herb is more than just about getting high for me. It's a ritual.