• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Texting Etiquette

modelskinny

Bluelighter
Feel free to add to this, please.
Currently enjoying a bit of "so and so is typing" for the last 20 minutes. Alas, no response as of yet.

Hence this thread.

Textiquette Do's

• If you are running late, text to let the person you are meeting know that you're on your way. You get bonus points for giving an estimated time of arrival.
  • If it's your friend that's running late, use the extra few minutes of down time to respond to any texts that may have appeared in your inbox on your commute over. That way when your friend arrives, you can be fully present.
  • Always double check your text before hitting the send button. We have all seen some tragic auto-correct mishaps that can easily be avoided by taking two seconds to proofread.
  • Make sure to verify who you are sending your text to. Unfortunately, when we write about people in text messages, we aren't always -- ahem -- praising their best qualities, and you would hate to send it to them accidentally.
  • If you are waiting to hear about something pressing, let your guest know so that when you check your phone regularly, you don't seem rude. And let them know when the situation is dealt with so they know that they now have your full attention.
  • If you're texting someone you haven't spoken to in a long time and the thought crosses your mind that you might not be in their phone, you're probably right. Avoid getting back a text that says, "Sorry, new phone. Who is this"? and simply "sign" your text, or open with a friendly reminder of who you are.
  • Slightly different than the mass text is the group text; which is one sent to a small group of people when plans are being made. Do yourself a favor and make sure that everyone in the group has this function on their phones. My husband has an old iPhone, and while he can receive group texts, he can only respond to the sender and confusion inevitably ensues.

Textiquette Do Not's

• Don't confuse someone who you've been on only a few casual dates with by including them in mass texts. It can get awkward, fast.
  • Don't text while eating or drinking with others unless you can talk about what you're texting, or it's an emergency. If it's the latter, excuse yourself and handle the situation.
  • Never text while another person is speaking, unless it is extremely important. If you do have to text, offer a brief explanation immediately so you don't hurt their feelings. Consider excusing yourself if you don't want to share your private details.
  • Texting a "thank you" note is not OK. You should always call, send a physical card via snail mail or send an e-card.
  • Never text, "Let me get back to you" when someone asks you to do something within the next 24 hours. It's best to decline if you aren't sure. You can always try to join up later if you change your mind.
  • If you're going back and forth with your friend trying to make plans and you're both being indecisive, save yourself the time and trouble and call them.
  • Don't use LOL and other text slang when it doesn't make sense. Consider who you're texting because many people don't have a clue what ROTFL or SMH mean.
  • Don't use text slang unless you know what it means, either. I knew someone who thought LOL stood for "lots of love" rather than "laugh out loud," so when he repeatedly texted LOL to his friend whose father had died, you can imagine the friend's dismay.
  • If you are tempted to text while walking, don't do it. Step to the side and text out of harms (and other people's) way.
  • Don't text somebody you know is driving. You do not want to be responsible for them getting in an accident. And, for that matter, don't text while you are driving!
  • Don't ever text about death or serious illness. Conversations like these require emotion, nuance, and support. They are too fragile to risk being misunderstood or accidentally skipped over.

• Don't text "Hello?!" or any other indicator that you're annoyed at not getting a reply, especially if it's only been a few minutes since you sent your text.

• Don't text in the middle of the night. Just because you're awake, doesn't mean the person you're texting is. Most people leave their phones on, so a text in the middle of the night is the same as a phone call.

Specifically for me:

• Don't text me...period. I have a pos government phone and it takes me forever and a day to respond to your texts. Damn it.

@ Model's do-not's-very true 'DONT WALK AND TEXT!' I broke my foot while walking down stairs texting WTF!!! I have learned my lesson.

- Don't text while you are working so you make less mistakes at work.

Don't

type as if you're on a 10-key while on a benzo blackout.

Do

use some punctuation if you're entering multiple sentences.

ebola

Never send texts to your friendly cab driver, asking how long they will be, or anything else. They will not remain friendly.

do

be patient. just because youre available and have time to talk doesnt necessarily mean others are. do not respond with "hello?!" a minute or two after sending a text if you dont receive an immediate response, its rude.

...kytnism...:|

@ Model's do-not's-very true 'DONT WALK AND TEXT!' I broke my foot while walking down stairs texting WTF!!! I have learned my lesson.
I have an app on my phone called "walk and text" it overlays the front camera onto the screen and has the transparent keyboard beneath. It even utilises the camera light for night use.

do

be patient. just because youre available and have time to talk doesnt necessarily mean others are. do not respond with "hello?!" a minute or two after sending a text if you dont receive an immediate response, its rude.

...kytnism...:|

I agree with this one a million times over.

text-messaging-500x400.jpg

I don't think that you will stop people texting and driving. So here it is... My solution to the problem. Any car designers or accessory developers may use my idea in the name of altruism (although any royalties quite happily accepted to the 'makebunny high foundation')
Righto, either built into the steering wheel or attached to it at the top, is a qwerty keyboard that can be used by thumbs. The display, naturally, is a head up display on the windscreen.
Simple.
Good luck getting it cleared by authorities though.
But I do believe that it would make texting *relatively * safe.

^ Could just start installing cellphone jammers into new cars that activate when your vehicle is in motion. Passengers be damned.

But I do believe that it would make texting *relatively * safe.

Not sure if srs.

^ Could just start installing cellphone jammers into new cars that activate when your vehicle is in motion. Passengers be damned.

Well they do install breathalyzers in people's cars that have had DUIs lol. Not sure how a jammer would be feasible tho if people could just find a way to take it out. I guess make it so if it's tampered with it emits a lethal flesh eating virus or something?

Last edited:
I text whenever I want....middle of the night texts are my favorite because I work third shift.

If I texted you 12 hours ago and you just woke up and saw it...don't ignore it...reply, no matter how long it's been...this annoys me

I text a lot when I'm around other people. Sometimes they care, sometimes not. I always multitask so honestly I'm listening to them at the same time that I'm texting....they don't always get that though

If any of this makes me a bad person, oh well

Is this really necessary? Are we that mindless that we need a list of do's and dont's for texting?

Most of us are adults, do we really need to be told that you should inform the person your meeting that your running late? Or texting while walking isnt always the best idea? Or that a phone call is more time efficient than texting back and fourth??? lol

Haha this is common sense...Treat others the way you want to be treated

Most pointless thread ever :p

honestly all I really ask is people be consistent

if youre going to text like a 16 year old schoolgirl, w/e I can still decipher most of what youre saying

just dont start dropping full sentences on me out of nowhere

Is this really necessary? Are we that mindless that we need a list of do's and dont's for texting?

Most of us are adults, do we really need to be told that you should inform the person your meeting that your running late? Or texting while walking isnt always the best idea? Or that a phone call is more time efficient than texting back and fourth??? lol

Haha this is common sense...Treat others the way you want to be treated

Most pointless thread ever :p

I wish I could agree with your opinion but the truth is that a lot of people actually don't have the common sense to realize these simple things. I've witnessed it on numerous occasions and I'm sure others can say the same.

texting is so EHH for me, too much context collapse possibility. i try and behave the exact same way across the board - my boss, board members, rappers, my employees.

i'm in the consistency boat.