• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Texas man, 62, is sentenced to life in prison after TWELFTH DUI arrest

First off, do you begin all your posts with "I'm a bit confused to be honest?" What's so confusing about this? They found three empty whiskey bottles in his car and he blew a .3. Do you honestly believe he had only a half a pint?

Not sure why you find it necessary to address the way I start my comments, but alright. I admit that I didn't read the article carefully enough and I thought that the "half a pint of whiskey" was suggestive of how much he had drunk.

Then why is it .05 across much of the developed world outside of the United States? Also, you can be arrested with any amount of alcohol in your system if the police believe it has impaired your driving.

Then why are drugs illegal across the world? It's a logical fallacy to conclude that something is right/correct just because it's that way in most parts of the world or being practiced by the majority. As crimsonjunk said, the legal limit is questionable at best and I provided a few reasons why.

As I said in another post, I heard a convicted felon at an AA meeting state that after 18 years in prison, the first thing he did on his first morning of freedom was go get shitfaced. This was in Florida, which is in many ways similarly regressive to Texas and demonstrates that the forced abstinence of prison doesn't work. As a habitual drunk driver (although I never was caught but should have been) who has seen the light, I really feel little empathy for this man and as much as I think law enforcement and the justice system gets it wrong all too often, their stated duty is to protect the public and I think they made the right call getting this guy out from behind the wheel where he could still kill or maim someone. I just find it baffling how someone can receive a life sentence and then be eligible for parole in 15 years. Seems a bit incongruous.

I agree that he has no place behind the wheel, and considering 11 preceding DUIs it is very likely that he has no regard for the law in that aspect, so as long as he's free out in the open he's going to drive drunk. However, I think that putting a person in jail for an indefinite amount of time is just a waste of tax payer money (aka societal resources). Either try to fix the guy or put the fucker to sleep.

Carl Landrover said:
Wasn't it just in the last few months that the underage kid killed multiple people because he was driving drunk? He didn't even get a year in jail and he ended multiple lives. This is sort of fucked.

Great point - that "Affluenza" sack of shit who showed absolutely no remorse after what he did. And, he apparently held a going away party before illegally crossing the border into Mexico. I'd probably attempt to painfully end the little douchebag's existence if the victims were family.

Sorry but I can't stand people who are seemingly unfazed by their actions when it involves the loss of innocent lives. Such despicable apathy or indifference should always be duly noted and factored into judicial sentencing (assuming of course that the defendant in question is found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt).

slimvictor said:
Anyone who doesn't learn after 11 arrests and DUI charges definitely needs something to shock them to their senses.

I totally agree with you.

Exactly what appropriate and effective course of action should be undertaken in such a case, I have no idea :\