• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

TESOL? I want to teach english

moonyham

Bluelighter
So, my friend who has just been to Japan told me that plenty of jobs exist that basically have you just talking to people in english and improving it through conversation etc. Found a college/institute called TESOL which teaches how to teach english, or something along those lines.

I love Japanese culture, I have always wanted to live there. Anyone have experience with TESOL? What do you think and anything I need to know? My english is pretty superb.

I really want to go live and work in Japan too but I know you need to have a post-secondary degree just to get a work visa :S

I really want to go live and work in Japan too but I know you need to have a post-secondary degree just to get a work visa :S

Yes they require a 'university degree'. I however do not really know what that means, as TESOL advertises job placement with visas etc in Japan among other countries, and its just a short course(only a couple months). Ive already done 2 years of tertiary, but in IT and chef school, i'm wondering if that is enough?

IIRC you can get a visa without a degree if a Japanese company sponsors your application (they take care of the legal stuff) but with just a TESOL you're likely to get picked up only by a company that brings you in with the intent that you basically be their bitch and your options will be limited. With a post-secondary degree you can apply for a better visa that lets you do work other than teaching English in a shitty environment and get better pay as well. Most of the other Asian countries don't have such high demands but for a Westerner going to China or SEA can be a fucked-up experience I hear.

Check out J-vlogs on YouTube, there's a significant community of former and current English teachers there who chronicle their successes and failures getting used to life in Japan and they'd be the best source for answers.

I tried. I was almost finished with my Masters in TESOL when I got laid off from Compton. I couldn't afford to finish the program. I applied at a dozen different places to teach overseas but never got picked up from any of them, perhaps because I don't have a Masters.
Good Luck