• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Terroir and Cannabis

jspun

Bluelighter
Terroir is a term most familiar to winemakers. It has been applied to other products like coffee and cognac among other things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terroir provides a definition. For the purpose of this thread it has to do with what aspects of the location where outdoor weed is grown find their way into the finished product.

As far as what region provides the best conditions for growing cannabis I guess it would depend on the strain the same way that certain verietals are better suited to certain winegrowing regions. I would say that in this state inland Humboldt county (around Garberville) is one of the great classic cannabis growing regions as far as providing an ideal environment for growing pot- analogous to Napa Valley and wine- and in the same way not without it's critics who say its overated. I will say that of the buds I've smoked from a known location my favorite region was the Big Island of Hawaii- one place where growing techniques, genetics, and terroir seemed to come together perfectly. But then again I have a weak spot for tropical sativas inspite of having grown up in Northern CA.

So what in your opinions' are some great outdoor regions for growing cannabis and how important is terroir to growing great bud on the outdoor growing scene?

maaaate
im from Australia and like me most of Australia doesnt know where there weed is coming from unless they grow it themselves
to know the geographics of your weed is good and all
but frankly i couldnt care less as long as its high quality shit

I Wish I knew the exact strains & life journey of the plants i've been smoking.

maaaate
im from Australia and like me most of Australia doesnt know where there weed is coming from unless they grow it themselves
to know the geographics of your weed is good and all
but frankly i couldnt care less as long as its high quality shit

I here you and I agree. The quality of the bud is the most important consideration. When people talk about strains and locales its probably wrong most of the time in most places. Bud around hear is usually kind bud or chronic if dank or schwag, dirtweed, ect... if poor quality. Now a days the market in California has changed considerably. Now I currently am substance free except caffeine but I used to be a hard core pothead for many years. Heroin effectively cured me of this obsession for cannabis but after 7 years of smoking little and while I was on methadone maintenance I smoked some kind and had an epiphany and resumed smoking in earnest. So I got snapshots of the scene in different stages.

A little history to illustrate my point. I grew up in the Bay Area of Northern California and first started smoking gange in the mid 80s. Back then, kind bud was in abundance. Even though organizations like the seed bank were around, you rarely heard the name of strains- purple cush being a notable exception. Because of the location most of this weed was coming from the great Northern CA grow regions: Humboldt, Mendocino, Sonoma, Snta Cruz mountains, and Big Sur were primary areas. At one time I had a connection that was a conoisseur and had a discerning clientel that would atleast inform me about what county the smoke was grown in. Santa Barbara County started seeing increased cultivation as CAMP was cracking down in the more traditional areas. Also, indoor growing was catching on and the range were good buds could be cultivated increased. At least in CA anyway, although their was kind bud in the south, it was much more prevalent in Northern CA.

So when I started smoking in 84'-85' as a young kid 1/8 oz's were going for $35. The commercial grade buds were Thai bud, this is the stuff people smoked if they couldn't get Kind. After it disappeared from the scene around 88' I didn't realize how good it was- afterwards would have given my right arm to get it. Quality varied but it would give a pleasant tropical sativa high in general and some tasted like chocolate or even mint chocolate and had a golden- brown color. It went for $25-$30/ eighth. Through the 80's the price of kind shot up to $40 in 87' and $50 in 89' even going as high as $60. There was always a dry time around mid-late Aug between harvests. During that time one could only get "homegrown" or "dirt" that I found after I moved to San Diego in 89' was probably from mexico.

So in San Diego, kind was usually somewhat hard to come by- especially compared to Northern California. The stuff that was mostly around was mexican "mex or mekie" that was full of seeds and horrible- burned your throat, gave a burn out high. But the beauty was that it was only $40/ quarter at first- campus prices ($30/ eighth up north) and then droped down to $20-$25/ quarter even $15 as i got to know people. It was shitty weed but you got alot of it for realy cheap and sometimes quality was prety decent- like average Thai but different taste/high.

But the all time best weed I got I new the general area where it was grown most of the time. I got some great Matanuska Valley Thunderfuck in 93' from a friend that grew up in Alaska and grew up with the grower . This was some prety mind blowing stuff- one bong hit had me seeing things out of the normal spectrum of light- and this was with a 1/2 oz/ day mex habit. Another memorable varietal was something a college friend of mine in 91' brought back from Orlando after winter break that he called crypie (as in cryptonite bud). This was grown for sure in South Florida, probably a hybrid, had a citrusy minty taste, and was florescent lime green. A shared joint sent me into the 7th dimension- gave me a cerebral reflective high.The most stoned I ever got was from this weed in 88' that was probably from Northern CA and smoked with teamates in Reno during a soccer tournament and had me feeling like I was underwater- no clue on strain- but this was downright hullucinatory.
Another great bud was this bud we got from our mexican bud connections ( a crew of pot dealing rancheros) that had "Michoacan Black" special- I was alittle hesitant- asking for $40. I couldn't verify that it was actually from Michoacan (if you can't trust your drug dealer who can you trust) but the whole bud was black and the high was sweet and heady- like fine red wine/ coffee overtones. Like I said Hawaiian buds are my all time fave. I smoked them 3 times on the mainland from a friend that was getting them from the Islands. The rest of the time I smoked them in the Islands: Probably a dozen over several trips- So i am familiar with the distinctive Island taste or magic. It is not that the intensity of the high but the quality/ taste of the bud- that fit the friuty, balmy, sweet scented environment perfectly- like a perfect wine and food match. The stoniest of the HI bud I got that was excellent high as well was from a CA expatriot surfer I picked up hitchicking in Lahaina. The buds were purpleish, acording to him grown in the Maui hills by a friend. When I busted out with my decent Cali weed instead he told me to save it. Rolled a joint with his friends at his pad- had me seeing ultra violet (this was in 93'). Best quality of high was from puna bud I smoked in Oahu (89') with my friends cousin during my senior trip. Other cousin that grew this was a Haole hippy from puna- superlative quality high and taste- best ever. Also had a friend in San Diego that had a line on Morocan has like zero/ zero from Amsterdam. Prety good hash (98'). Lastly, I got some weed at a dead show (Dominguez Hills 90') that the guy that sold it said it was from Bali- his friend came back with it. Can't verify but it was golden brown with golden/ red-brown hairs and tasted like outstanding Thai- sticky, small dense buds, sweet taste- helped ground me on a 100 F day after a heavy Acid trip and Awesome show.

The other like 99.99999999% of the buds I couldn't tell you were they were from. Now you have more hydro plants, and production from other regions. In the bay the kind bud was most likely from Northern CA or Southern Oregon. Now can come from everywhere even substandard BC (they keep the good stuff for themselves).
Unfortunately or fortunantely -cant decide lately- been sober for almost a year ( 13 months from weed):\
In this state Cannabis is legal with a medical Rx inspite of what the Feds might think- I'll spare you the political, legal, philosophical discussion. Varieties are marked at cannabis clubs and I have smoked some from friends- they have access to some good shit- forgot to ask were it was from8) Since it is legal here in the golden state, and since quality and consistancy leads to a conoisseur scene I think terroir/ place of origin is important. Once they legalize it for non medical use I would like to see an appelation system with legal protection of place of origin/ varietals/ terroir.

So anybody- Original ? how important a factor is terroir- got to have atleast one true cannabis conoisseur on this board.

note: no prices are current, included for historic reason and to illustrate evolution of cannabis scene in CA

Last edited:
Forgot to mention- on my last trip to Hawaii- I was there with my wife for our friends wedding. Our friend had lived on the North Shore for a couple of years for a couple of years so had connections on the island. Anyway, this was spring of 2007. Got some buds for alot- like $75 an 1/8. Anyway it was from a local source and I was willing to spend xtra for quality tropical buds. I was dissapointed. It was very good but lacked the "magic" I had come to expect or tropical fruit or whatever you wanna call it. Anyway, I was at a party outside haleiwa and I got on the subject of buds and one of the locals said that most of the buds then were being imported from the mainland. Hopefully the same sorry state of affairs doesn't exist today (in 09').:!

When people come across "terroir" in this forum- some might misinterpret the term to have something to do with terror- like buds and panic attacks- maybe should have named it somethind else: like "the effect of soil, geography, microclimate, degree of sun exposure, elevation, and latitude on characteritics of identical clones"- probably wouldn't make a difference, don't think people care much about canniculture on this forum.:(

The effect of soil composition on quality of buds

I have a question: As far as aspects of terroir: Rockwool revolution aside- are certain soils ideal for certain strains. For instance in viticulture chalk is good for pinot noir in France or the Palmino grape in spain. Granite soil favors Gamay. With respect to outdoor growing, which types of soil favors which strains.

With microclimate/macroclimate. It was at one time predicted that low humidity during flowering is good because canabinoids protect the plant from dessication and are produced in greater amounts as a protective measure with lower humidity due to evolution. Inland Humboldt during fall and parts of Aphganistan/ Ketama in Morrocco examples. However, tropical locales have the ability to produce great plants even with higher humidity- puna district on the big Island example. What is the botany behind this- how much is related to genetics and how much to grow techniques to overcome negative influence of high humidity if theory is still indeed valid?

Latitude: Hours of darkness not sunlight I believe dictate flowering (knowledge rusty). So with outdoor growing do certain varieties do well at certain latitudes because of time sunsets during year. Indicas, I believe are indigenous to central Asia and flower eralier than sativas. Sativas are sometimes farther south but tend to flower latter. How does the hours of darkness in different latitudes effect certain varietals (pure sativas, pure indicats, hybrids) and not others and favor some and not others? Of course this can be optimized indoors but i am interested in terroir.

I'm a fan of the weed grown out doors in the Santa Cruz mountains in California (Redwood Forest). Also, I've had some choice out door bud from Napa Valley, also in California. All the weed grown in my part of California is grown in the state so I have not smoked weed that has come from anywhere but my state. The advantage to this is that I'm only a few hours at most from where the weed is grown. I've been able to get some beastly out door indicas here. I've always held the opinion that where and how the weed is grown is just as important as the genetics/ strain of the weed.

I must admit that when I first read the name of this thread I thought it was "terrier and weed". I was expecting to read something about a small dog eating weed. To my surprise I learned a new vocabulary word. I applaud you for this thread.

I've always held the opinion that where and how the weed is grown is just as important as the genetics/ strain of the weed.

Glad to hear someone out there agrees with me- great men think alike. I think growing up in our state's better half I was spoiled with great bud. I didn't realize how good I had it until I moved. One cannot help not becoming a connoisseur having spent some time living and smoking in Northern California. In some states, New Jersey stands out in my mind in particular I remember my father-in-law getting ahold of some bud that was supposed to blow my mind.This was in the fall of 2006. He kept warning me to be careful and go slow because he'd seen people that weren't used to that particular bud start to panic, ect...ect... even people that didn't think they wuz lightweights found out blah blah blah. Anyway, this supper chronic bud looked real good, three inch bud, dark green/ light green flowers,fairly compact, red hairs, smelled good, but the high was not particularly mind blowing- stoney- but the only way that i could deascribe the high is that it was two dimensional, flat, or boring. It almost felt like I was smoking a generic kind bud.

I guess the situation on the East Coast was dismal in the early to mid 90s in some circles. I posted earlier that I was bumbed when I moved to San Diego about the bud sceme in the early 90s. Lots of mex of variable quality. I had a friend from Del Mar that had a pad in Mission Beach where I lived at the time that he rented just to have a place to party and do coke. There were lots of hot young coke hoes running around MB at that time- the scene was insane. He never elaborated were he had gotten this money. I found out later ( I ran into him at a NA mtg) that he had been making money by moving Kilos of commercial quality mexican buds to NYC. He had a connect over there moving it for him. He had a pad in the East Village at the time and was living it large part of the time in SD and the rest in NYC. Unfortunately his partner in Manhattan turned federal rat so my friend ended up getting poped. But anyway, the point of the story is that the people over there where loving the mexican weed- the kind of stuff Northern Californians considered dirt not worth buying unless you absolutely had to, and San Diegans smoked it because that was cheap and in good supply- was a big seller in NYC- people loved it. I forgot what he sold weight for but it I remember him telling me people where paying $35-$40/ eighth for that shit retail. 8)Apparently there was alot of bad commercial quality jamaican on the streets there at that time too. I've had good and bad buds in the caribean, I'll describe that in a later post- but you can taste the tropicas in all the buds there when I visited that region.

I'm a fan of the weed grown out doors in the Santa Cruz mountains in California (Redwood Forest). Also, I've had some choice out door bud from Napa Valley, also in California. All the weed grown in my part of California is grown in the state so I have not smoked weed that has come from anywhere but my state. The advantage to this is that I'm only a few hours at most from where the weed is grown. I've been able to get some beastly out door indicas here. I've always held the opinion that where and how the weed is grown is just as important as the genetics/ strain of the weed.

I must admit that when I first read the name of this thread I thought it was "terrier and weed". I was expecting to read something about a small dog eating weed. To my surprise I learned a new vocabulary word. I applaud you for this thread.

i can't agree more with your appreciation of buds from santa cruz... of course indoor doesn't get the terrier effect.,...

^You, suck balls toniwelch25. Go troll elsewhere.

Great thread jspun, out here in Maryland I wish I new where my weed was being grown. Unless we get it mailed from Cali I never have the slightest clue.

'02 Vintage

Just like certain years are good years for wines, the same holds true for buds. According to Cannabible volume II, 2002 was an exceptionally fine year for buds in California's "Emerald Triangle". Further evidence of the importance of terroir and cannabis.;)

Drug Strain Gross Phenotypes Drug strains are characterized by Delta1-THC as the primary cannabinoid, with low levels of other accessory cannabinoids such as THCV, CBD, CBC, and CBN. This results from selective breeding for high potency or natural selection in niches where Delta1-THC biosynthesis favors survival.

a) Colombia - (0 to 10 north latitude)

Colombian Cannabis originally could be divided into two basic strains: one from the low-altitude humid coastal areas along the Atlantic near Panama, and the other from the more arid mountain areas inland from Santa Marta. More recently, new areas of cultivation in the interior plateau of southern central Colombia and the highland valleys stretching southward from the Atlantic coast have become the primary areas of commercial export Cannabis cultivation. Until recent years high quality Cannabis was available through the black market from both coastal and highland Colombia. Cannabis was introduced to Colombia just over 100 years ago, and its cultivation is deeply rooted in tradition. Cultivation techniques often involve transplanting of selected seedlings and other individual attention. The production of "la mona amarilla" or gold buds is achieved by girdling or removing a strip of bark from the main stem of a nearly mature plant, thereby restricting the flow of water, nutrients, and plant products. Over several days the leaves dry up and fall off as the flowers slowly die and turn yellow. This produces the highly prized "Colombian gold" so prevalent in the early to middle 1970s (Partridge 1973). Trade names such as "punta roja" (red tips [pistils] ), "Cali Hills," "choco," "lowland," "Santa Marta gold," and "purple" give us some idea of the color of older varieties and the location of cultivation.

In response to an incredible demand by America for Cannabis, and the fairly effective control of Mexican Cannabis importation and cultivation through tightening border security and the use of Paraquat, Colombian farmers have geared up their operations. Most of the marijuana smoked in America is imported from Colombia. This also means that the largest number of seeds available for domes tic cultivation also originate in Colombia. Cannabis agri-business has squeezed out all but a few small areas where labor-intensive cultivation of high quality drug Cannabis such as "Ia mona amarilla" can continue. The fine marijuana of Colombia was often seedless, but commercial grades are nearly always well seeded. As a rule today, the more remote highland areas are the centers of commercial agriculture and few of the small farmers remain. It is thought that some highland farmers must still grow fine Cannabis, and occasional connoisseur crops surface. The older seeds from the legendary Colombian strains are now highly prized by breeders. In the heyday of "Colombian gold" this fine cerebral marijuana was grown high in the mountains. Humid lowland marijuana was characterized by stringy, brown, fibrous floral clusters of sedative narcotic high. Now highland marijuana has become the commercial product and is characterized by leafy brown floral clusters and sedative effect. Many of the unfavorable characteristics of imported Colombian Cannabis result from hurried commercial agricultural techniques combined with poor curing and storage. Colombian seeds still contain genes favoring vigorous growth and high THC production. Colombian strains also contain high levels of CBD and CBN, which could account for sedative highs and result from poor curing and storage techniques. Domestic Colombian strains usually lack CBD and CBN. The commercial Cannabis market has brought about the eradication of some local strains by hybridizing with commercial strains.

Colombian strains appear as relatively highly branched conical plants with a long upright central stem, horizontal limbs and relatively short internodes. The leaves are characterized by highly serrated slender leaflets (7-11) in a nearly complete to overlapping circular array of varying shades of medium green. Colombian strains usually flower late in temperate regions of the northern hemisphere and may fail to mature flowers in colder climates. These strains favor the long equatorial growing seasons and often seem insensitive to the rapidly decreasing daylength during autumn in temperate latitudes. Because of the horizontal branching pattern of Colombian strains and their long growth cycle, pistillate plants tend to produce many flowering clusters along the entire length of the stem back to the central stalk. The small flowers tend to produce small, round, dark, mottled, and brown seeds. Imported and domestic Colombian Cannabis often tend to be more sedative in psychoactivity than other strains. This may be caused by the synergistic effect of THC with higher levels of CBD or CBN. Poor curing techniques on the part of Colombian farmers, such as sun drying in huge piles resembling com post heaps, may form CBN as a degradation product of THC. Colombian strains tend to make excellent hybrids with more rapidly maturing strains such as those from Central and North America.

b) Congo - (5 north to 5 south latitude)

Most seeds are collected from shipments of commercial grade seeded floral clusters appearing in Europe.

c) Hindu Kush Range - Cannabis indica (Afghanistan and Pakistan) - (30 to 37 north latitude)

This strain from the foothills (up to 3,200 meters [10,000 feetj) of the Hindu Kush range is grown in small rural gardens, as it has been for hundreds of years, and is used primarily for the production of hashish. In these areas hashish is usually made from the resins covering the pistil late calyxes and associated leaflets. These resins are re moved by shaking and crushing the flowering tops over a silk screen and collecting the dusty resins that fall off the plants. Adulteration and pressing usually follow in the production of commercial hashish. Strains from this area are often used as type examples for Cannabis indica. Early maturation and the belief by clandestine cultivators that this strain may be exempt from laws controlling Cannabis sativa and indeed may be legal, has resulted in its proliferation throughout domestic populations of "drug" Cannabis. Names such as "hash plant" and "skunk weed" typify its acrid aroma reminiscent of "primo" hashish from the high valleys near Mazar-i-Sharif, Chitral, and Kandahar in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

This strain is characterized by short, broad plants with thick, brittle woody stems and short internodes. The main stalk is usually only four to six feet tall, but the relatively unbranched primary limbs usually grow in an upright fashion until they are nearly as tall as the central stalk and form a sort of upside-down conical shape. These strains are of medium size, with dark green leaves having 5 to 9 very wide, coarsely serrated leaflets in a circular array. The lower leaf surface is often lighter in color than the upper surface. These leaves have so few broad coarse leaflets that they are often compared to a maple leaf. Floral clusters are dense and appear along the entire length of the primary limbs as very resinous leafy balls. Most plants produce flowering clusters with a low calyx-to-leaf ratio, but the inner leaves associated with the calyxes are usually liberally encrusted with resin. Early maturation and extreme resin production is characteristic of these strains. This may be the result of acclimatization to northern temperate latitudes and selection for hashish production. The acrid smell associated with strains from the Hindu Kush appears very early in the seedling stage of both staminate and pistillate individuals and continues throughout the life of the plant. Sweet aromas do often develop but this strain usually loses the sweet fragrance early, along with the clear, cerebral psychoactivity.

Short stature, early maturation, and high resin production make Hindu Kush strains very desirable for hybridizing and indeed they have met with great popularity. The gene pool of imported Hindu Kush strains seems to be dominant for these desirable characteristics and they seem readily passed on to the F1 hybrid generation. A fine hybrid may result from crossing a Hindu Kush variety with a late-maturing, tall, sweet strain from Thailand, India, or Nepal. This produces hybrid offspring of short stature, high resin content, early maturation, and sweet taste that will mature high quality flowers in northern climates. Many hybrid crosses of this type are made each year and are currently cultivated in many areas of North America. Hindu Kush seeds are usually large, round, and dark grey or black in coloring with some mottling.

d) India Centra1 Southern - Kerala, Mysore, and Madras regions (10 to 20 north latitude)

Ganja (or flowering Cannabis tops) has been grown in India for hundreds of years. These strains are usually grown in a seedless fashion and are cured, dried, and smoked as marijuana instead of being converted to hashish as in many Central Asian areas. This makes them of considerable interest to domestic Cannabis cultivators wishing to reap the benefits of years of selective breeding for fine ganja by Indian farmers. Many Europeans and Americans now live in these areas of India and ganja strains are finding their way into domestic American Cannabis crops.

Ganja strains are often tall and broad with a central stalk up to 12 feet tall and spreading highly-branched limbs. The leaves are medium green and made up of 7 to 11 leaf lets of moderate size and serration arranged in a circular array. The frond-like limbs of ganja strains result from extensive compound branching so that by the time floral clusters form they grow from tertiary or quaternary limbs. This promotes a high yield of floral clusters which in ganja strains tend to be small, slender, and curved. Seeds are usually small and dark. Many spicy aromas and tastes occur in Indian ganja strains and they are extremely resinous and psychoactive. Medicinal Cannabis of the late 1800s and early 1900s was usually Indian ganja.

e) Jamaica - (18 north latitude)

Jamaican strains were not uncommon in the late 1960s and early 1970s but they are much rarer today. Both green and brown varieties are grown in Jamaica. The top-of-the-line seedless smoke is known as the "lamb's bread" and is rarely seen outside Jamaica. Most purported Jamaican strains appear stringy and brown much like low land or commercial Colombian strains. Jamaica's close proximity to Colombia and its position along the routes of marijuana smuggling from Colombia to Florida make it likely that Colombian varieties now predominate in Jamaica even if these varieties were not responsible for the original Jamaican strains. Jamaican strains resemble Colombian strains in leaf shape, seed type and general morphology but they tend to be a little taller, thinner, and lighter green. Jamaican strains produce a psychoactive effect of a particularly clear and cerebral nature, unlike many Colombian strains. Some strains may also have come to Jamaica from the Caribbean coast of Mexico, and this may account for the introduction of cerebral green strains.

f) Kenya - Kisumu (5 north to 5 south latitude)

Strains from this area have thin leaves and vary in color from light to dark green. They are characterized by cerebral psychoactivity and sweet taste. Hermaphrodites are common.

g) Lebanon - (34 north latitude)

Lebanese strains are rare in domestic Cannabis crops but do appear from time to time. They are relatively short and slender with thick stems, poorly developed limbs, and wide, medium-green leaves with 5 to 11 slightly broad leaflets. They are often early-maturing and seem to be quite leafy, reflecting a low calyx-to-leaf ratio. The calyxes are relatively large and the seeds flattened, ovoid and dark brown in color. As with Hindu Kush strains, these plants are grown for the production of screened and pressed hashish, and the calyx-to-leaf ratio may be less important than the total resin production for hashish making. Lebanese strains resemble Hindu Kush varieties in many ways and it is likely that they are related.

h) Malawi, Africa - (10 to 15 south latitude)

Malawi is a small country in eastern central Africa bordering Lake Nyasa. Over the past few years Cannabis from Malawi has appeared wrapped in bark and rolled tightly, approximately four ounces at a time. The nearly seedless flowers are spicy in taste and powerfully psycho active. Enthusiastic American and European Cannabis cultivators immediately planted the new strain and it has be come incorporated into several domestic hybrid strains. They appear as a dark green, large plant of medium height and strong limb growth. The leaves are dark green with coarsely serrated, large, slender leaflets arranged in a narrow, drooping, hand-like array. The leaves usually lack serrations on the distal (tip portion) 20% of each leaflet. The mature floral clusters are sometimes airy, resulting from long internodes, and are made up of large calyxes and relatively few leaves. The large calyxes are very sweet and resinous, as well as extremely psychoactive. Seeds are large, shortened, flattened, and ovoid in shape with a dark grey or reddish brown, mottled perianth or seed coat. The caruncle or point of attachment at the base of the seed is uncommonly deep and usually is surrounded by a sharp edged lip. Some individuals turn a very light yellow green in the flowering clusters as they mature under exposed conditions. Although they mature relatively late, they do seem to have met with acceptance in Great Britain and North America as drug strains. Seeds of many strains appear in small batches of low-quality African marijuana easily available in Amsterdam and other European cities. Phenotypes vary considerably, however, many are similar in appearance to strains from Thailand.

i) Mexico - (15 to 27 north latitude)

Mexico had long been the major source of marijuana smoked in America until recent years. Efforts by the border patrols to stop the flow of Mexican marijuana into the United States were only minimally effective and many varieties of high quality Mexican drug Cannabis were continually available. Many of the hybrid strains grown domestic ally today originated in the mountains of Mexico. In recent years, however, the Mexican government (with monetary backing by the United States) began an intensive pro gram to eradicate Cannabis through the aerial spraying of herbicides such as Paraquat. Their program was effective, and high quality Mexican Cannabis is now rarely available. It is ironic that the NIMH (National Institute of Mental Health) is using domestic Mexican Cannabis strains grown in Mississippi as the pharmaceutical research product for chemotherapy and glaucoma patients. In the prime of Mexican marijuana cultivation from the early 1960s to the middle 1970s, strains or "brands" of Cannabis were usually affixed with the name of the state or area where they were grown. Hence names like "Chiapan," "Guerreran," "Nayarit," "Michoacan," "Oaxacan," and "Sinaloan" have geo graphic origins behind their common names and mean something to this very day. All of these areas are Pacific coastal states extending in order from Sinaloa in the north at 27; through Nayarit, Jalisco, Michoacan, Guerrero, and Oaxaca; to Chiapas in the south at 15 - All of these states stretch from the coast into the mountains where Cannabis is grown.

Strains from Michoacan, Guerrero, and Oaxaca were the most common and a few comments may be ventured about each and about Mexican strains in general.

Mexican strains are thought of as tall, upright plants of moderate to large size with light to dark green, large leaves. The leaves are made up of long, medium width, moderately serrated leaflets arranged in a circular array. The plants mature relatively early in comparison to strains from Colombia or Thailand and produce many long floral clusters with a high calyx-to-leaf ratio and highly cerebral psychoactivity. Michoacan strains tend to have very slender leaves and a very high calyx-to-leaf ratio as do Guerreran strains, but Oaxacan strains tend to be broader-leafed, often with leafier floral clusters. Oaxacan strains are generally the largest and grow vigorously, while Michoacan strains are smaller and more delicate. Guerreran strains are often short and develop long, upright lower limbs. Seeds from most Mexican strains are fairly large, ovoid, and slightly flattened with a light colored grey or brown, unmottled perianth. Smaller, darker, more mottled seeds have appeared in Mexican marijuana during recent years. This may indicate that hybridization is taking place in Mexico, possibly with introduced seed from the largest seed source in the world, Colombia. No commercial seeded Cannabis crops are free from hybridization and great variation may occur in the offspring. More recently, large amounts of hybrid domestic seed have been introduced into Mexico. It is not uncommon to find Thai and Afghani phenotypes in recent shipments of Cannabis from Mexico.

j) Morocco, Rif Mountains - (35 north latitude)

The Rif mountains are located in northernmost Morocco near the Mediterranean Sea and range up to 2,500 meters (8,000 feet). On a high plateau surrounding the city of Ketama grows most of the Cannabis used for kif floral clusters and hashish production. Seeds are broad-sown or scattered on rocky terraced fields in the spring, as soon as the last light snows melt, and the mature plants are harvested in late August and September. Mature plants are usually 1 to 2 meters (4 to 6 feet) tall and only slightly branched. This results from crowded cultivation techniques and lack of irrigation. Each pistillate plant bears only one main terminal flower cluster full of seeds. Few staminate plants, if any, are pulled to prevent pollination. Although Cannabis in Morocco was originally cultivated for floral clusters to be mixed with tobacco and smoked as kif, hashish production has begun in the past 30 years due to Western influence. In Morocco, hashish is manufactured by shaking the entire plant over a silk screen and collecting the powdery resins that pass through the screen. It is a matter of speculation whether the original Moroccan kif strains might be extinct. It is reported that some of these strains were grown for seedless flower production and areas of Morocco may still exist where this is the tradition.

Because of selection for hashish production, Moroccan strains resemble both Lebanese and Hindu Kush strains in their relatively broad leaves, short growth habit, and high resin production. Moroccan strains are possibly related to these other Cannabis indica types.

k) Nepal - (26 to 30 north latitude)

Most Cannabis in Nepal occurs in wild stands high in the Himalayan foothills (up to 3,200 meters [10,000 feet]). Little Cannabis is cultivated, and it is from select wild plants that most Nepalese hashish and marijuana originate. Nepalese plants are usually tall and thin with long, slightly branched limbs. The long, thin flowering tops are very aromatic and reminiscent of the finest fresh "temple ball" and "finger" hashish hand-rubbed from wild plants. Resin production is abundant and psychoactivity is high Few Nepalese strains have appeared in domestic Cannabis crops but they do seem to make strong hybrids with strains from domestic sources and Thailand.

I) Russian - (35 to 60 north latitude) Cannabis ruderalis (uncultivated)

Short stature (10 to 50 centimeters [3 to 18 inches]) and brief life cycle (8 to 10 weeks), wide, reduced leaves and specialized seeds characterize weed Cannabis of Russia. Janischewsky (1924) discovered weedy Cannabis and named it Cannabis ruderalis. Ruderalis could prove valuable in breeding rapidly maturing strains for commercial use in temperate latitudes. It flowers when approximately 7 weeks old without apparent dependence on daylength. Russian Cannabis ruderalis is nearly always high in CBD and low in THC.

m) South Africa - (22 to 35 south latitude)

Dagga of South Africa is highly acclaimed. Most seeds have been collected from marijuana shipments in Europe. Some are very early-maturing (September in northern latitudes) and sweet smelling. The stretched light green floral clusters and sweet aroma are comparable to Thai strains.

n) Southeast Asia - Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam (10 to 20 north latitude)

Since American troops first returned from the war in Vietnam, the Cambodian, Laotian, Thai, and Vietnamese strains have been regarded as some of the very finest in the world. Currently most Southeast Asian Cannabis is produced in northern and eastern Thailand. Until recent times, Cannabis farming has been a cottage industry of the northern mountain areas and each family grew a small garden. The pride of a farmer in his crop was reflected in the high quality and seedless nature of each carefully wrapped Thai stick. Due largely to the craving of Americans for exotic marijuana, Cannabis cultivation has become a big business in Thailand and many farmers are growing large fields of lower quality Cannabis in the eastern lowlands. It is suspected that other Cannabis strains, brought to Thailand to replenish local strains and begin large plantations, may have hybridized with original Thai strains and altered the resultant genetics. Also, wild stands of Cannabis may now be cut and dried for export.

Strains from Thailand are characterized by tall meandering growth of the main stalk and limbs and fairly extensive branching. The leaves are often very large with 9 to 11 long, slender, coarsely serrated leaflets arranged in a drooping hand like array. The Thai refer to them as "alligator tails" and the name is certainly appropriate.

Most Thai strains are very late-maturing and subject to hermaphrodism. It is not understood whether strains from Thailand turn hermaphrodite as a reaction to the extremes of northern temperate weather or if they have a genetically controlled tendency towards hermaphrodism. To the dismay of many cultivators and researchers, Thai strains mature late, flower slowly, and ripen unevenly. Retarded floral development and apparent disregard for changes in photoperiod and weather may have given rise to the story that Cannabis plants in Thailand live and bear flowers for years. Despite these shortcomings, Thai strains are very psychoactive and many hybrid crosses have been made with rapidly maturing strains, such as Mexican and Hindu Kush, in a successful attempt to create early-maturing hybrids of high psychoactivity and characteristic Thai sweet, citrus taste. The calyxes of Thai strains are very large, as are the seeds and other anatomical features, leading to the misconception that strains may be polyploid. No natural polyploidy has been discovered in any strains of Cannabis though no one has ever taken the time to look thoroughly. The seeds are very large, ovoid, slightly flattened, and light brown or tan in color. The perianth is never mottled or striped except at the base. Greenhouses prove to be the best way to mature stubborn Thai strains in temperate climes.

http://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/botany.html

Climate, Photoperiod, and Cannabis Cultivation

In reading the link to the above excerpt of cannabis botany, two distinct and very obvious aspects of terroir: photoperiod and climate are discussed with their relationship to the cultivation of differing cannabis strains. Photoperiod, the amount of light and darkness in a given day is a function of latitude north and south of the equator. Climate has many influences including latitude, distance from major bodies of water, prevailing winds, oceanic currents, altitude, ect... One interesting rule of thumb is that, for the same latitude, the climates on the west or east coasts of continents are analogous to the climates of their counterparts on different continents. For this reason, to use an example Perth, Los Angeles, and Capetown have similar weather paterns and roughly analogous but certainly not identical climates. These are more or less macroclimates and factors that influence on a macro scale. On the other end of the spectrum, microclimates result from quirks in geography (gaps in mountains/ valleys funneling cool ocean air). Small bodies of water- in the world of wine the proximity of Sauternes to a small river offshot to the Gironde making possible the early morning mist necessary for Botrytis or "noble rot" is a classic example. This is why the classic landrace strains of Columbia and Thailand didn't do as well in California and the Pacific Northwest in the early days and led to the experiments in hybridization and natural selection that has resulted in todays sensational varieties that one sees in dispensaries and coffee shops. I have come across 2 examples of terroirs were landrace strains have performed better than their native habitat: the Pearl Islands, and terraced hills of the former Canal Zone both in Panama was one example I came across. Another growing region with a special magic cited as an example is the Hawaiian Islands. One author stated that almost any strain will do better there outdoors but native landrace strains have tended to display disappointing and frustrating mediocracy outside their native habitat. The Hawaiian Islands have a plethora of habitats, microclimates, terroirs in a short distance. Also, a cold water current helps moderate temps there and gives it a unique climate not found anywhere else in the tropics. Classic strains and name brands one used to come across in old (70s) trans high market quotations from high times are Maui Wowie (Maui) , Waikiki Wakky(Oahu), Puna Buds/Butter (Big Island), Hilo Bud (Big Island), Kona Gold (Big Island) and Kaui Electric (Kaui). In Cannabible II, buds from the Island of Molokai are mentioned.

With photoperiod you have hours of light which promote plant growth and darkness which promotes flowering. Latitude also effects another aspect of terroir- light intensity- the angle of light b/w the earth and the sun decreases thus apparent intensity of sunlight increases the closer you get to the equator. When cannabis is grown on a terraced landscape, sun exposure, and what aspect of the hill- north, south, east , or west are further important factors of terroir that effect cannabis growth. An analogy to wine is that of the Chablis Gran Crus vineyards in the Burgundy region of France.

With respects to climate and acclimization:

Acclimatization

Much of the breeding effort of North American cultivators is concerned with acclimatizing high-THC strains of equatorial origin to the climate of their growing area while preserving potency. Late-maturing, slow, and irregularly flowering strains like those of Thailand have difficulty maturing in many parts of North America. Even in a green house, it may not be possible to mature plants to their full native potential.

To develop an early-maturing and rapidly flowering 8train, a breeder may hybridize as in the previous example. However, if it is important to preserve unique imported genetics, hybridizing may be inadvisable. Alternatively, a pure cross is made between two or more Thai plants that most closely approach the ideal in blooming early. At this point the breeder may ignore many other traits and aim at breeding an earlier-maturing variety of a pure Thai strain. This strain may still mature considerably later than is ideal for the particular location unless selective pressure is exerted. If further crosses are made with several individuals that satisfy other criteria such as high THC content, these may be used to develop another pure Thai strain of high THC content. After these true-breeding lines have been established, a dihybrid pure cross can be made in an attempt to produce an F1 generation containing early-maturing, high-THC strains of pure Thai genetics, in other words, an acclimatized drug strain.

Dangers of hybridization and breeding

All of the Cannabis grown in North America today originated in foreign lands. The diligence of our ancestors in their collection and sowing of seeds from superior plants, together with the forces of natural selection, have worked to create native strains with localized characteristics of resistance to pests, diseases, and weather conditions. In other words, they are adapted to particular niches in the ecosystem. This genetic diversity is nature's way of protecting a species. There is hardly a plant more flexible than Cannabis. As climate, diseases, and pests change, the strain evolves and selects new defenses, programmed into the genetic orders contained in each generation of seeds. Through the importation in recent times of fiber and drug Cannabis, a vast pool of genetic material has appeared in North America. Original fiber strains have escaped and become acclimatized (adapted to the environment), while domestic drug strains (from imported seeds) have, unfortunately, hybridized and acclimatized randomly, until many of the fine gene combinations of imported Cannabis have been lost.

The sad thing is that although there are superstrains wonders of hybridizations and breeding botany out there- a great endevor for sure, more needs to be done to protect landraces, atleast phenotypically. There is a classic nobility that alot of these strains possess that evolved over hundreds of years that can be lost within a generation to a new generation of cannabis enthusiasts.

More on Photoperiods:

Latitude and Photoperiod

Change in photoperiod is the factor that usually triggers the developmental stages of Cannabis. Photoperiod and seasonal cycles are determined by latitude. The most even photoperiods and mildest seasonal variations are found near the equator, and the most widely fluctuating photoperiods and most radical seasonal variations are found in polar and high altitude locations. Areas in intermediate latitudes show more pronounced seasonal variation depending on their distance from the equator or height in altitude. A graph of light cycles based on latitude is helpful in exploring the maturation and cycles of Cannabis from various latitudes and the genetic adaptations of strains to their native environments.

The wavy lines follow the changes in photoperiod (daylength) for two years at various latitudes. Follow, for example, the photoperiod for 400 north latitude (Northern California) which begins along the left-hand margin with a 15-hour photoperiod on June 21 (summer solstice). As the months progress to the right, the days get shorter and the line representing photoperiod slopes downward. During July the daylength decreases to 14 hours and Cannabis plants begin to flower and produce THC. (Increased THC production is represented by an increase in the size of the dots along the line of photoperiod.) As the days get shorter the plants flower more profusely and produce more THC until a peak period is reached during October and November. After this time the photoperiod drops below 10 hours and THC production slows. High-THC plants may continue to develop until the winter solstice (shortest day of the year, around December 21) if they are protected from frost. At this point a new vegetative light cycle starts and THC production ceases. New seedlings are planted when the days begin to get long (12-14 hours) and warm from March to May. Farther north at 600 latitude the day-length changes more radically and the growing season is shorter. These conditions do not favor THC production.

Light cycles and seasons vary as one approaches the equator. Near 200 north latitude (Hawaii, India, and Thailand where most of the finest drug Cannabis originates), the photoperiod never varies out of the range critical for THC production, between 10 and 14 hours. The light cycle at 200 north latitude starts at the summer solstice when the photoperiod is just a little over 13 hours. This means that a long season exists that starts earlier and finishes later than at higher latitudes. However, because the photoperiod is never too long to induce flowering, Cannabis may also be grown in a short season from December through March or April (90 to 120 days). Strains from these latitudes are often not as responsive to photoperiod change, and flowering seems strongly age-determined as well as light determined. Most strains of Cannabis will begin to flower when they are 60 days old if photoperiod does not exceed 13 hours. At 200 latitude, the photoperiod never exceeds 14 hours, and easily induced strains may begin flowering at nearly any time during the year.

Equatorial areas gain and lose daylength twice during the year as the sun passes north and south of the equator, resulting in two identical photoperiodic seasons. Rainfall snd altitude determine the growing season of each area, but at some locations along the equator it is possible to grow two crops of fully mature Cannabis in one year. By locating a particular latitude on the chart, and noting local dates for the last and first frosts and wet and dry seasons, the effective growing season may be determined. If an area has too short an effective growing season for drug Cannabis, a greenhouse or other shelter from cold, rainy conditions is used. The timing of planting and length of the growing season in these marginal conditions can also be determined from this chart.

For instance, assume a researcher wishes to grow a crop of Cannabis near Durban, South Africa, at 300 south latitude. Consulting the graph of maturation cycles will reveal that a long-photoperiod season, adequate for the maturation of drug Cannabis, exists from October through June. Local weather conditions indicate that average temperature ranges from 60~ to 80~ F. and annual precipitation from 30 to 50 inches. Early storms from the east in June could damage plants and some sort of storm protection might be necessary. Any estimates made from this chart sre generally accurate for photoperiod; however, local weather conditions are always taken into account.

Combination and simplification of the earth’s climatic bands where Cannabis is grown yields an equatorial zone, north and south subtropical zones, north and south temperate zones, arctic and antarctic zones. A discussion of the maturation cycle for drug Cannabis in each zone follows.

Equatorial Zone - (15 south latitude to 15 north latitude)

At the equator the sun is high in the sky all year long. The sun is directly overhead twice a year at the equinoxes, March 22 and September 22, as it passes to the north and then the south. The days get shortest twice a year on each equinox. As a result, the equatorial zone has two times during the year when floral induction can take place and two distinct seasons, These seasons may overlap but they are usually five to six months long and unless the weather forbids, the fields may be used twice a year. Colombia, southern India, Thailand, and Malawi all lie on the fringes of the equatorial zone between 10 and 15 latitude. It is interesting to note that few if any areas of commercial Cannabis cultivation, other than Colombia, lie within the heart of the equatorial zone. This could be because most areas along the equator or very near to it are extremely humid at lower altitudes, so it may be impossible to find a dry enough place to grow one crop of Cannabis, much less two. Wild Cannabis occurs in many equatorial areas but it is of relatively low quality for fiber or drug production. Under cultivation, however, equatorial Cannabis has great potential for drug production.

Northern and Southern Subtropical Zones - (15 to 30 north and south latitudes)

The northern subtropical zone is one of the largest Cannabis producing areas in the world, while the southern subtropical zone has little Cannabis. These areas usually have a long season from February-March through October-December in the northern hemisphere and from September-October through March-June in the southern hemisphere. A short season may also exist from December or January through March or April in the northern hemisphere, spanning from 90 to 120 days. In Hawaii, Cannabis cultivators sometimes make use of a third short season from June through September or September through December, but these short seasons actually break up the long subtropical season during which some of the world’s most potent Cannabis is grown. Southeast Asia, Hawaii, Mexico, Jamaica, Pakistan, Nepal, and India are all major Cannabis-producing areas located in the northern subtropical zone.

North and South Temperate Zones - (30 to 60 north and south latitudes)

The temperate zones have one medium to long season stretching from March-May through September-December in the northern hemisphere and from September-November through March-June in the southern hemisphere. Central China, Korea, Japan, United States, southern Europe, Morocco, Turkey, Lebanon, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Kashmir are all in the north temperate zone. Many of these nations are producers of large amounts of fiber as well as drug Cannabis. The south temperate zone includes only the southern portions of Australia, South America, and Africa. Some Cannabis grows in all three of these areas, but none of them are well known for the cultivation of drug Cannabis.

Arctic and Antarctic Zones - (60 to 70 north and south latitudes)

The arctic and antarctic zones are characterized by a short, harsh growing season that is not favorable for the growth of Cannabis, The arctic season begins during the very long days of June or July, as soon as the ground thaws, and continues until the first freezes of September or October. The photoperiod is very long when the seedlings appear, but the days rapidly get shorter and by September the plants begin to flower. Plants often get quite large in these areas, but they do not get a long enough season to mature completely and the cultivation of drug Cannabis is not practical without a greenhouse. Parts of Russia, Alaska, Canada, and northern Europe are within the arctic zone and only small stands of escaped fiber and drug Cannabis grow naturally. Cultivated drug strains are grown in Alaska, Canada, and northern Europe in limited quantities but little is grown on a commercial scale. Rapidly maturing, acclimatized hybrid strains from temperate North America are probably the best suited for growth in this area. Fiber strains also grow well in some arctic areas. Breeding programs with Russian Cannabis ruderalis could yield very short season drug strains.

It becomes readily apparent that most of the drug Cannabis occurs in the northern subtropical and northern temperate zones of the world. It is striking that there are many unutilized areas suitable for the cultivation of drug Cannabis the world over. It is also readily apparent that the equatorial zone and subtropical zones have the advantage of an extra full or partial season for the cultivation of Cannabis.

Strains that have become adapted to their native latitude will tend to flower and mature under domestic cultivation in much the same pattern as they would in their native conditions. For example, in northern temperate areas, strains from Mexico (subtropical zone) will usually completely mature by the end of October while strains from Colombia (equatorial zone) will usually not mature until December. By understanding this, strains may be selected from latitudes similar to the area to be cultivated so that the chances of growing drug Cannabis to maturity are maximized. The short season of Hawaii, Mexico, and other subtropical areas constitutes a separate set of environmental factors (distinct from the long season) that influence genotype and favor selection of a separate short-season strain. The maturation characteristics can vary greatly between these two strains because of the length of the season and differences in response to photoperiod. For that reason, it is usually necessary to determine if Hawail and California strains have been bred specifically for either the short or long season, or if they are used indiscriminately for both seasons. Sometimes the only information available is what season the ~1 seed plant was grown. It may not be practical to grow a long-season strain from Hawaii in a temperate growing area, but a short season strain might do very well.

Another aspect of terroir that I never thought of but is discussed in Cannabis Botany is moon period:

Moon Cycles

Since ancient times man has observed the effect of the moon on living organisms, especially his crops. Planting and harvest dates based on moon cycles are still found in the Old Farmer’s Almanac. The moon takes 28 to 29 days to completely orbit the earth. This cycle is divided into four one-week phases. It starts as the new moon waxes (begins to enlarge) for a week until the quarter moon and another week until the moon is full. Then the waning (shrinking) cycle begins and the moon passes back for two weeks through another quarter to reach the beginning of the cycle with a new moon. Most cultivators agree that the best time for planting is on the waxing moon, and the best time to harvest is on the waning moon. Exact new moons, full moons, and quarter moons are avoided as these are times of interplanetary stress. Planting, germinating, grafting, and layering are most favored during phases 1 and 2. The best time is a few days before the full moon. Phases 3 and 4 are most beneficial for harvesting and pruning.

Root growth seems accelerated at the time of the new moon, possibly as a response to increased gravitational pull from the alignment of sun and moon. It also seems that floral cluster formation is slowed by the full moon. Strong, full moonlight is on the borderline of being enough light to cease floral induction entirely. Although this never happens, if a plant is just about to begin floral growth, it may be delayed a week by a few nights of bright moonlight.

Conversely, plants begin floral growth during the dark nights of the new moon. More research is needed to explain the mysterious effects of moon cycles on Cannabis

Next if I find the info or if one is kind enough with knowledge about the topic is the suitability of different soils on different strains...I will include in another post along with other aspects of terroir. Regarding this component of terroir, differnt soil types should favor different strains. I once read that classic Jamaican varieties- such as the famed "lambs bread" and blue mountain highland sensi is supposed to thrive on soil enriched with bat guano.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I don't pricing is allowed, past or present, but I am sure a mod would know better than I.

Either way, this was a fun read. Jspun-- do you feel that strains have improved or gotten worse? Perhaps tolerances plays a role? Or location and experience during the high?

I know the location of the trees I smoke, it doesn't travel far before it lands in my happy, waiting hands. I love the bud grown in New England, sure it may not have the strong potency of some sweet Cali Kush that comes around all the time, but there is nothing like some home-grown sour diesel from New England. Either way, I've got access to both...

With the dawn of hydroponic technology for growing, location hasn't become so important, and neither have names. A lot of times I will give hydro weed a popular name that it closely correlates to (sativa hydro gets a popular sativa name with a similar taste/look for instance). People like to have a name, sometimes I am asked to make one up on the spot just so word can travel about a new strain.

Jspun-- do you feel that strains have improved or gotten worse? Perhaps tolerances plays a role? Or location and experience during the high?

I do feel that location and experience or set and setting play a big role in the overall subjective effect of particular strains. As far as the tropical sativas in the Carribean and Hawaiian Islands, actually being in the herbs' native lands undoubtably modified the high making it more enjoyable. I have a theory that strains are selected not only on the basis of ability to grow and achieve potency in a particular environment but also because the high and taste complements or resonates with the environment they are grown in. Kind of like the concept of matching food and wine. However, I have smoked hawaiian bud in CA and the hi transported me to the Islands. Last time there, though, I was disappointed- it lacked the magic I had experienced on previous occasions for whatever reason. Tolerance plays an important role as well. In answer to whether or not strains have improved- they have absolutely without a doubt in my opinion over the last 20 years overall. However, a certain asthetic is sometimes lacking from the superstrains. Having said that, contemporary
pot smokers are waaay better off overall.

Here's something that someone posted on another site about Panama Red I came across and thought was an entertaining if not historically verifiable read:

History of Panama Red

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Legend of Panama Red
By: Anonymous

In this story you'll learn who and how this 12 ton load of Panama Red was smuggled into California.

Have you ever heard the legend of Panama Red? I mean you have heard of Panama Red haven't you? Well here's the true story about a load that came into California, in 1969.

I drove up Highway 1, to Maple Street, in Tam Valley, and turned left. If you know where this is, it's near Mill Valley. I went to my connection's house to see what exotic weed had come in. He had Yucatan Green, which was fully filled into white plastic bags. It had a fruity aroma, and you could uncoil the kiwi colored green leaves back into their natural finger and hand shapes. I'd never seen weed cured this well. It was somehow cured like pliable tobacco leaves. The price was $150. a pound which was a lot back in those days. Next a brown grocery sack came out of the closet, which I noticed was full of both white plastic bags and the brown grocery bags. From my quick glance I estimated about 10 bags of weed in all.

As the top of the brown bag was unfolded I immediately smelled the strong aroma of fresh tilled earth, perhaps the smell when you turn over a mulching log, combined with red clay. Then I distinguished another smell. The smell of fresh earth was mixed with a strong hashish smell. A handful of the well dried small buds was pulled out and laid on the stainless steel plate of the triple-beam. I was in wonder as I had never seen any weed that wasn't green or gold. To my amazement these small buds were a bright rusty color. Not brown like the Colombian Gold I scored a few years later, but you know, a rusty red color. I asked: Where's this weed from?

My connection told me the story.

This is Panama Red. This stuff grows in the mountains north of the Panama Canal. The soil is red to black, with rain all the time. It's impossible to get this weed, but I have access to about a ton of it.

How much is it for a pound, I asked him.

It's $220. a pound. My wad of cash choked in my pocket, as I had thought that the Yucatan green was expensive. He could read me. He pulled out a paper from his Zig-Zag pack, and rolled a pinhead joint. Then he lit it up, making a yellow flame as the empty paper end burned into the weed. He took the first puff, which sent off, two thin intertwined lines of blue gray hashish like smoke, heading towards the ceiling.

He was already well stoned from encounters with his earlier customers, and when I first walked into his home I had noticed how his eyes were glazed over. He looked like the poster of a wizard, with his long hair, beard, and crystal ball eyes. If this were possible, he looked even more euphoric from the one hit; and his eyes rolled back, and closed, as he slowly stabbed the smoking pinner across the table in my direction. As I reached out for it, he said in a choked breath while exhaling smoke: You'll probably never get weed this good again.

I knew his word was always true. My connection and his group had smuggled hashish from Afghanistan, India, and Morocco. He'd been busted for importing hash in the bottom of a crate of snakes. He always had exotic weed and hash. He wouldn't mess around with the weed I could get from the pilots in my part of the state. The only stuff I could get in my area was Mexican weed which ran about $80. to $120. a brick. We called this weed, reg, for regular. The reg kilos or bricks came wrapped in red, green or blue construction paper and was taped off with masking tape. This was the regular bottom line, non-exotic, weed that was somewhat harsh to the throat, but got you stoned. We resold for $10. a lid, or if you weren't around back then, a lid is an ounce.

The hashish smell of the pinner was overcoming my thoughts, as I took a hit of pure heaven. The smoke was so smooth, with a taste just like it's unburnt smell of fresh clean earth and hashish. I thought it tasted like Lebanese Red hash, mixed with fresh earth, as I barely watched the smoke vining it's way upwards. It was hash without the bite. Then the stone came on as I took my second hit. My senses suddenly kicked into hyper space as I became acutely aware of everything. My hearing, my thinking, my senses were all rocketed into Stonesville, which is a different place for every one of us. Within a minute I realized I was really stoned. I laughed. Shortly after three hits, I started seeing trails, colors, and realized this weed was a psychedelic high too. Lots of colors, and laughs, in a mellow floating state. A weed to bring out your innermost thoughts, to philosophize, about the finer points of life and existence, with those of like mind.

In 1969, I bought five pounds of Panama Red, which is the most stony weed I have ever smoked, even to this day. When I got back home where the local Hippies were used to the $10. price of an oz., of reg, I knew I couldn't sell this rusty red weed. First, since it wasn't green, they wouldn't believe it was weed. Second, the price would be about four times what they were used to paying for an oz. of reg weed. I kept telling myself nobody was ready for this rusty weed which would send anybody, especially these locals to heaven. I knew that if I rolled pinners, it would take me years to smoke all of this exotic weed. I figured at least 80 joints to an oz., and I had 80 ozs., and let's see, that's 6400 joints. I couldn't take time to do one a day, so I figured maybe 150 a year, and um, it would take me over forty-two years to smoke all of this weed. It would lose it's potency after a year or two. Then the lightbulb came on. I'd roll up about 10 pinners and just give them away. I understood that even my friends could figure out that this was the best weed in the world. After they had smoked this fantastic weed, they would realize how stoned they were, and with the weed rolled up they wouldn't know it wasn't green! Great idea! I reached into my pocket again as I arrived at the toll booth on the Golden Gate Bridge entering San Francisco, stoned out of my mind.

I want you to know something, when I got home that's exactly what I did. I passed out the pinners and asked my friends to just try it and give me their opinions. They questioned me about the small sized joints, and I said what are you complaining about, it's free. Then the phone started ringing with questions like: What was that? Is that laced with acid? That can't be ordinary weed. Do you have any more? Then I got to tell the story of Panama Red to them, which if you ever smoked the real thing, I need not say more.

MEETING THE SMUGGLER

On another score trip north, about a month later, I discovered that my connection had moved to Stinson Beach. You might know where he moved if you ever went there. It was the third house back from the beach, it was on the left, the one with the purple door. When the purple door opened I gasped as I thought I saw my dad sitting down counting cash on a coffee table. I realized that it really wasn't my Dad, but the guy was a dead ringer for my dad. He had a receding conservative haircut, with brown hair, and graying sideburns. Same facial features. My connection introduced him, and for his protection, I'll just call him Roy. Roy was counting out $40,000. cash, another installment for the fronting of his illegal, precious cargo of Panama Red to my connection. This was a lot of money for a weed deal back in 1969, and probably one of a hundred bags of money picked up by Roy. You figure it out. If he sold his Panama Red for only $120. a pound, times 24,000 pounds he grossed about $2.9 million from his load. Thirty years ago this money had the purchasing power of about 4 times more than what it would buy today. However, I have no idea what Panama Red would cost today as I have never found it again. I've had Colombian Gold, but it's more of a brown tobacco color. Red is a very earthy, rusty color and I haven't even seen any counterfeit stuff offered. I haven't even seen the seeds offered. The $40,000. Roy was counting out was only a payment for about 300 pounds. Payment for a ton would be $240,000. Don't forget he had the money from selling the fish too.

Roy was a very candid person, treating me as if he'd known me his whole life. He explained the Panama Red saga. He bought a surplus submarine chaser, a 90 footer. He sold most of the military gear and paid for the vessel, with money left over. It was a typical government deal where millions were spent to build and outfit the ship, and then it was later sold for peanuts. Roy outfitted it as a fishing boat. He got a crew together and went south. He loaded in 12 tons of Panama Red, and then he and his crew went fishing.

They covered the weed with tuna, iced it and headed back north. The ship was checked out, and cleared for entry. As they returned to the Bay Area, he made contact with his man onshore in northern California, who with a few hours notice, got a small fleet of fishing and sailboats together. This fleet was obviously pre-planned. The fleet was a fleet of dealers who went under the Golden Gate Bridge out about 25 miles, and towards the Farallon Islands, where the Panama Red was quickly offloaded onto these smaller boats. One Harbor Master inside the bay was in on it too, so there was little chance of anybody getting caught. I can't tell you if it was day or night, foggy, or anything about the conditions, but I do know from other smugglers that they use the worst weather conditions for all of their activities. If it's hard for them it's hard for the cops to catch them. Roy said he retired off this trip and that he sold his fish, the ship, and intended on paying the IRS it's taxes on the fish, if any were due. Roy told me the city he lived in, and I'll give you a hint, he lived between San Francisco, and San Jose. If you know him, tell him thanks from me.

I grew some plants from the very small brown seeds. The plants had stalks with alternating green and purple vertical lines. The dark green leaves had purple veins. I got tired of watering them, so I sold the crop where it stood, by selling a map with it's location. My friends nicknamed me Panama Red, for waking them up to this high. There's been no more Panama Red, that I'm aware of. If I'm wrong I'd like to read your story."

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Panama Red, Panamanian Red,[1] or P.R.[2] is a cultivar of cannabis sativa, popular among cannabis afficiandos of the 1960s and 1970s, and renowned for its potency.[3][4][5] The typically high THC levels associated with the variety are thought to be dependent on the cultivar, rather than the Panamanian climate.[6][7] In a limited test, an Auburn University researcher reported that "seed of a sample of Panama Red, grown in the very different climates of the Canal Zone, campus and northern New Hampshire, yielded marijuana with similar THC content."[7] Its name comes from its cultivation in the country of Panama, and its claylike red color.[8] Production was common in Panama's sparsely-populated Pearl Islands.[9] It is known for causing a racy, paranoia-inducing, psychedelic high. Cannabis culture died off in Panama with the rise of cocaine trafficking.

http://www.stonerforums.com/lounge/seeds-strains/3750-history-panama-red.html

Although the author of this post and wiki entry he included seem contradictory,
they seem to me to point to the importance of terroir as well as the genetics of the strain.

Last edited:
I once heard a female vineyard owner say, "Zees land eez parched and malnoureeshed. The taste comes from zee suffering of zee grapes." I'd say that there are minor changes in the soil which can change all the minute things that make a grape taste like it tastes. Sunlight, amount of UV-B, altitude, and moisture are more likely factors that would determine the potency of the marijuana.

I'm highly skeptical of accounts of strains from the 60-70's. I've known and smoked with more than a few old hippies in my day (more than a few means hundreds). In general, their knowledge and appreciation of weed is far less critical than my own, but I also started smoking some of the finest herb right off the bat. Most people didn't smoke like people smoke now and the average weed was far less potent. It is nothing close to the government/propaganda numbers of "10 times as potent", but the numbers I've read read something like: Avg weed 1970=2.5% Avg weed 2000=5%. However how many of us smoke "average" weed? Not many I would guess. I would guess somewhere in the teens for much of what I smoke. Those percentages are just illustration of course but the data is out there. People have spent a lot of time quantifying huge numbers of samples.

I've met people and know people, particularly from Cali that boast about the quality of their Californian weed. It comes down to several factors. Intensity and duration of light, moisture, nutrients, CO2 uptake, O2 output, and how well the plant can handle all these and how well the grower can provide these things when the plant needs them for optimal growth. That sounds patronizing I know, but I've had better weed in the Midwest that people who really know what they are doing have produced than from clubs in San Fran. That being said there a larger quantity of quality in SF, but if we're trying to determine "The Best" it is solely from whomever/whatever can provide the wonderful weeds' necessities. From personal experience I've had wonderful weed in the Bahamas, as well as Jamaica. The Bahamian herb was probably not grown there however. The Jamaican looked like poorly treated beasters but smoked beautifully with an intense comprehensive high. Well-rounded you could say. (When it's finally legal I'm becoming a weed critic :)) The Jamaican had some seeds even and they were brought back by an acquaintance and were propagated and cloned and are probably still going. Northern Cali has some great weed as well. The US is not the best place for widely diverse flavors and highs though. As someone mentioned before me, the gene pool in the US is kiddie pool sized compared to the ocean of cannabis delights that exists in the world. Ever read the Cannagraphic stories about Gypsy's travels and how he pimps his seeds even in rural Thailand? Yeah... people are upset about GMO's. I'm more upset about introducing relatives of Skunk #1 into a pristine marijuana environment. As far as terroir goes... I'm going to have to say SE Asia just by reputation. They have more intense light for longer as well as having highly sativa characteristics genetically. I'd be excited to try some of that. I've heard good things about Brazil as well. I may never know.

Peace,
PL

EDIT: The very fact that indica's and sativa's can be hybridized and produce offspring with other non-F1 plants means they are the same spece. I definitely make a distinction between sativa's and indica's, but it is a phenotypical differentiation. I kind of equate to races amongst people. For example: White people make you paranoid and hungry, yet Asians give you couchlock and feel tired... errr... yeah... that makes sense.

Last edited:
California: Sativas In the New World

From the second link above I am going to prune the thread and copy post pertaining to the concept of terroir and paste him here. To view pictures one can go to the link. My first example to highlight this concept is a well written post about classic California Sativas. In a manner analogous to the California wine industry were grape varietals from the old world are adapted to places like the Napa Valley, Carneros, ect... and reinterprted in new ways through the whole concept of terroir, old world cannabis strains were adapted to the canditions of California. This post comes courtesy of Motaco post # 3 titles "American Sativas". I will copy other info of interest time permiting.

America has a unique and diverse marijuana gene pool. While technically we have no native genes we have been the dominant market for marijuana. Plants from every corner of the globe have been brought to the US to feed our cravings for the herb and some of their offspring have found permanent residence. Much like the American citizen the American Sativa does not have one look or origin, but is a melting pot of all of the immigrants who have found way to our shores.
By far the most common sativas brought here were the Mexicans and Colombians we began smoking, followed by the Asian grasses brought back with soldiers from war.

Regardless of origin of species American growers have played an integral part in marijuana breeding, and home growing. Our quest to breed hybrid strains capable of growing in our local areas instead of foreign countries has produced some of the finest cannabis ever seen and changed the way people viewed pot growing forever. When foreign smuggling routes were ended American growers stepped up to the plate and began producing the majority of our smoke right here in America. By the 90's America itself was the top producer of the weed we smoke and quality is higher than what was ever thought possible.

MAJOR US GROW REGIONS AND FLAVORS

CALIFORNIA is first up there on the list. One of the oldest growing regions and still producing a large portion of the nations kind bud harvest, especially north California. North california has always had a growing community; even as early as the 20's and 30's. Well before the rise of the hippies and to be honest I'm not sure exactly where it came from. The Emerald Triangle as it came to be known consisting of three counties and the areas in between where many growers ended up became legendary for it's high quality pot. The "hill people" as they are called are much less hippy and alot more country than you might think these days. The logging business fell out there leaving many blue collar men unemployed and decided to take up the local tradition of pot growing. Due to the perfect weather for growing and the local law turning a blind eye to something they'd always been doing out there the area flourished before the days of helicopter patrols.
Strains they favor out there have been many Thais and south east Asians that soldiers brought back after the war. The Mexicans and genes from south of the border play a crucial role in many of the famous Cali grass strains. But due to the amount of growers in the region and how we like to network there were strains from anywhere and everywhere available in the area. It was "the" place to be during the early growing days and plants from every corner of the earth showed up here.

Today the Emerald Triangle is constantly assaulted by aerial observation and many of the original growers got fed up and left The area is secluded with many rolling hills, but the days of acres of Humboldt sensimilla are gone. Today small farmers in small towns where everyone knows everybody makes up the community. When all the folks in all the small towns put in their share it keeps NorCal a large producer of the nations finest commercial weed.

OLD SCHOOL CALI GRASS

Hill folk rarely keep names and its a shame because there are god only knows how many incredible strains nobody has a specific name for. Typically about 75% sativa hybrids they vary a ton due to the amount of genetic diversity in the region, but often are mellow dreamlike sativas. Good for goofing around and conversation. Many of them smell piney and herbal. I'm sure you've heard of many of the older Cali strains, but if you haven't Yumboldt, Big Sur Holy, Garlic Bud, Killin Garberville, Mendocino Madness, of course Haze, and endless others. Cali folks seem to be big on Kush's too. Especially the new school. With the fertile soil and optimal conditions cali plants can easily reach 6-12ft tall and yield 1/2 to 2lbs per plant with regularity. The best tip for if your going to cali in search of sativas is to go to a humid part of California. The coast where fog settles in for instance insures there will be more people growing sativas than the drier regions further inland.

A huge relief for medical patients, but with the advent of prop 215 and the increased number of growers the Cali scene is rapidly changing from the hippies and loggers in the hills to the dispensaries. With the view of dispensaries very much in public, the perception of what Cali grass is has begun to rapidly change.

The Southern US and Hawaii

Continuation of Motaco's thread highlighting the South and my very favrotite grow region, Hawaii. The post about the South answers questions about a strain I once smoked called "crypie" from Florida (4th post this thread).

SOUTHERN GROWERS

In the beginning of the home growing days of the late seventies and early eighties the South really stood out. Our heat, and long growing season allowed us to grow the native Colombian, and Mexican genes to harvest before frosts. Especially with the tropical photoperiod of southern Florida plants were producing excellent results and was where some of the first indicas grown in the US took place. Local strains such as Gainesville Green, Roadkill Skunk, and Kryptonite became legends. Good bud in Florida is sometimes still called "Crip" or "Krippie" after Kryptonite weed. However the days of Southern weed are gone. Draconian penalties, and an intolerant culture prevent much from being grown here, and the entire region has some of the worst weed and prices and the country. Most outdoor homegrown you come across is usually mexican brick grown in better circumstances. The exception is Florida's "Black Haze" aka "Piff" or "90 day haze". Cuban DTO's growing haze strains indoors and selling them along the Eastern Seaboard mainly.

HAWAII

HAWAIIAN PAKALOLO PREFACE

Hawaiian weed's fame extends to the early days of homegrown. In the late 70's when decent commercial grade Colombian would go for $500 a lb, the top Hawaiian bags would go for more than $2,000 dollars a lb. The equitorial islands tropical photoperiod and diverse gene pool produced what was indisputably the finest kind bud of the era. It was primarily south east Asian varieties acclimated to the region, but many of the first hashplants as well. Although the amount of Hawaiian pot was never much in the figure of the amount smoked in the US, it was easily the most sought after and the highest quality.

HAWAIIAN POT SCENE: THEN AND NOW

In the early days weed was plentiful and cheap because there were enough growers and few enough police. The reality of the situation is most of Hawaii has shallow rocky soil and is often nutrient depleted or extremely high in ph. The constant change of seasons makes it impossible to give plants any real amount of veg time so they flower almost immediately, and yield a really sad average of between 5-30 grams per plant for two of the three seasons. The long season is capable of growing large plants but many don't get the time to finish before the next season comes. But since there were enough people and empty land there was simply enough weed. You could plant as many plants as you wanted. And before the helicopter patrols you could plant giant growing long flowering sativas that would yield well. Each island had its own little flavor and specialty buds. Some famous strains of the day were Elephant ear, Buddha stick, Kona gold, Maui Waui, and many others were plentiful and easily available.

Unfortunately the scene today is changed quite a bit. There is endless helicopter patrols who make no real arrests but spend all day ruining personal growers stashes. Its very hard to grow commercial plots of herb in Hawaii, so its mostly personal growers who let off the excess harvests to the market. As you can imagine with yields being so low and situations so tough there isn't that much to go around. So Hawaii stays in a perpetual state of being semi dry and its a case of "who you know" more than probably anywhere else because there is constantly a harvest going on, you just need to find it. Since local grown bud is unreliable to say the least dealers started importing weed. Surprisingly today the vast majority of weed in Hawaii is imported Beaster and even mexican schwag.

There is plenty of local grown bud but since the helicopter harassment is so bad alot of it is loosely tended and rarely truely ripe. Growers make touch and go plots that produce midgrade type weed and thus they rely on alot of mail in for the high end stuff. Better local high end very rarely makes it out of the growers circle.

What people tell me about hawaii pakalolo prices is pretty much the same thing every time. Incredibly expensive or pretty much free. polar extremes. Shitty beaster 1/8s for 60 bucks or more quality for about 80 and 1/8. 600 dollar ounces are not uncommon at all. On the other hand since prices are so high many people grow their own weed. So you may meet a grower with a deal. Like my friend told me when he moved to Hawaii. He was there 2 weeks flat ass broke living out a van and couldn't afford any bud. He was surfing and met some hippy who offered to sell him some. My friend said "thanks man but I gotta save up for rent, I can't afford weed right now." The hippy told him to follow him to the woods. They walked down a trail and he showed him a little patch of herb deep in some bushes. They then walked further down and the hippy had a garbage bag buried. When he opened it up there was about a half a lb of weed in it and he gave both of my friends two heaping handfuls each for 10 dollars and told him "Welcome to Hawaii."

As far as finding classic pakalolo nowadays its really more of a name than a reality. Hawaii has 3 seasons per year and this means strains change 3x as fast. When first brought to the island hardly any plants do very well. But they get used to it and start thriving and adapting. That is one thing I've spoken to several Hawaiian growers about and they all agree its very hard to keep a stone how you want it there. They just keep evolving and strains don't stay the same. So the bud you remembered 30 years ago might have a totally different effect today. However the flip side to this is good news. It means new Hawaiian strains are being created all the time as they adjust. However they are more and more often having indica genes in them from the same old sources. The new scene has an indica fetish in Hawaii and its not good for native outdoor bud.
The best place to find old school ones is probably the hardest. The native Hawaiians are usually not very friendly in particular with white people and there is alot of racial tension there.

MOLOKAI FROST is one of my most favorite strains off all much less from the islands. I smoked it all up before I got a picture, seems how thats how it goes with the best weed. Molokai frost is like a tropical bubblegum. it smells like some type of super tangy bubblegum that might be named "tropical treat" or something like that. THE softest smoking strain I've ever had and smokes and tastes amazing the day its off the plant. doesn't even really need a cure, its just that delicious. its a lazy sativa, but I love her. so happy.

Mexico

Moving on this is Motaco's post #2 from the above thread regarding the state of sativa in our neighbor to the south and how local conditions enhance genetics.

MEXICO

PREFACE about Mexican weed.

Mexican weed makes up the majority of the marijuana south of the Mason Dixon line. The wide availability, cheap price, bang for the buck, and proximity to Mexico all contribute to preferences. But the bottom line is most folks would rather spend one hundred dollars for an ounce of schwag than 100 bucks for a quarter of Beaster, which by the time it gets this far south is often not much more potent bowl for bowl than a good bag of schwag.

Prior to the 60's Mexican was practically all anyone had. 5 finger lids from south of the border, untrimmed, sometimes even males included. The counterculture explosion had not happened yet, so for the most part exotic foreign strains were unheard of. As the culture expanded and a sudden gigantic market for marijuana developed the import came from increasingly distant locales. As hippies traveled and learned more about other cultures they became familiar with the potent flower tops sold by Mexican healers and bruha's (witch doctors) at rural markets, and a more knowledgeable smoking culture was beginning.

Mexico was on the verge of a revolution, and rural farmers were finding ways to finance their ideas now with marijuana. The Mexican goverment began an intensive crackdown along with US assistance in trying to spray fields with "paraquat", a dangerous herbicide with many health risks. Most of the herb was grown at altitudes too high to reach and very little of it was affective. In reality very little paraquat infested bud made it into the US but it nevertheless did scare many smokers away. As Mexico got more highways and roads it became easier to police, and discourage marijuana growing, and new political incentives helped bring a dramatic slow down to Mexican marijuana production. It was during this time when Mexico could no longer be the main commerical provider that Colombia began replacing it. So with the smaller corner of the market it had Mexico began to produce larger amounts of the higher quality varieties such as the legendary Highland Oaxaca Gold, and Acapulco Gold instead of commercial strains it had been exporting. Other notables of the time in Mexico were Guerreran Green, Zacatecas Purple, Tijuana Brown, Michoacan spears, and many more.

Today the situation faced by Mexican commercial smokers has changed. The name strains are gone but the commercial quality is higher. To compete with other nations export Mexico began using new genetics, trimming their harvest much better, and removing most of the males to cut down on seeds. Todays mexican has dramatically improved over what smokers remember from the earliest bags of the 60s. Beginning in the early 80's non native phenos started showing up common in imports. First colombian commercial types, and then indica/commercial bug made it to mexico as well as many other nations. Often not for the better.

The product today is usually bricked, maybe 5 seeds per dime, usually heavily sativa leaning hybrids, However bags of touched up indica are not uncommon. Probably somewhere around 20-40% of Mexican import is no longer native genes. However this does not change the fact that at least half of Mexican import IS still pure native strains and classic varieties including large amounts of oaxacas, golds, and lower amounts of zacatecas purple, michoacan, etc. are still somewhat common. Bare in mind the genes are RARELY completely pure. Not to say it doesn't happen, but when I say native I mean its a native Mexican strain, with a very small percentage of something else mixed in with it and is usually 60-90% sativa. In the 80's they were experimenting with indicas, but most of them have been crossed and recrossed back to the sativas they came from. It shortened flower time and added a bit of yield but is still very sativa.

Between about '88 and '92 the Mexican brickweed was supposed to be at an all time low. I wasn't there for it but from talking to older heads they say these were the worst times. Bad genes, bad shipping, bad grow methods, everything. But since the mid 90's quality has steadily been going up and getting more sativa. The last 15 years or so have seen a revival in potent, quality (as in genetics) sativa brickweed from mexico. The terrible events of 9/11 had unforseen implications to the smoking community. Tightened security at the border slowed the flow of marijuana once again and put an emphasis on higher quality pot. Some Mexican growers even began growing the pot on the US side to not have to bother with the border. However regular Mexican schwag is still by no means uncommon through out the south east US...

Contrary to popular belief most Mexican IS NOT bad genes. Many things such as intended price its to be sold at, what cartel brought it in, what region it is from, how old it is, how long they let it sit before shipping, how well it was dried, how well it was stored including what temperature and bricking, and when it was harvested all have to do with quality of import. It's not one simple answer like "Mexican weed just sucks".

Another common myth is that the cartels grow the weed. The cartels do grow weed but it is a tiny percentage of what they can export. Most of the weed they own is not grown by them, but rather collected by them and put towards a shipment to eventually be sent in. They are the smugglers. Rural mexican farm families that have been growing the same strains for centuries are the mainstay of the import, and that is not likely to change.

MEXICAN STRAINS AND HIGHS

IMHO despite the size of mexico the weed seems to have been bred with two general uses in mind.

There is a happy buzzy lighthearted mexican that makes you giggle and have a good time, provides good optical effects giving things a trippy magic eye kinda look and is very good for socializing with friends. it seems they are usually the neon green vibrant buds, that are mellow and giggly lighthearted weed. I am personally under the idea that this weed is what was meant to be smoked for menial tasks, and hard manual labor, making them both tolerable and amazingly somewhat interesting. I've had a great time mowing my lawn and weed whacking high as shit on mexican that was happy enough to make you laugh, and buzzy enough to keep you on your feet and busy. These types of mexican I consider the beers of mexican sativas, with strains like highland oaxaca, lima limon (new school mexican "lemon lime"), and the golds.

The other type of mexican is usually the uglier more brown colored sativas that have ending the day as the use for the strain. Stone similiar to a trainwreck type high. VERY stupefying (not uncommon for it to stop you from doing simple math in your head), drunken and narcotic. IMHO this is one of the strongest types of weed there is to be had and I personally believe trainwreck echoes mexican stones far more than thai highs. Paranoia inducing and narcotic these are very typical mexican strains. They are a lot more beligerant and drunken than happily euphoric but do cause self introspection which is probably why it is favored among bruhas. Strains falling into this category include lowland oaxaca and zacatecas purple as well as numerous un-named strains. I consider these the mezcal of mexican marijuana.

However mixes of these two strains are also common and can be quite a complex quality stone.

Native strains tend to echoe native culture and mexican strains are no different. Smells are often described with words like dry, spicy, herbal, sugar cane, bay leaves, or peppery.

Where you are located (what cartel puts what you smoke in your pipe) will also have a good deal to do with your opinion of schwag.

As of '09 the gang wars and drug terrorism has reached a terrible level. All the more reason to grow your own and not fund Drug Trade Organizations and supply them with money. Mexico is controlled by several competing cartels over distribution and territory among other things. Separating the gangs are mountains and deserts, which helps keep the regions marijuana unique. The caribbean coast is famous for the more cerebral neon green marijuana also found in jamaica. The western coast is drier and more prone to indica hybrids.

Gangs and territory and distribution areas change every year, so its impossible to say where your pot is coming from. But in general though individual groups may change the geography and old prejudices keep marijuana going to certain areas. Texas and eastwards tend to get the best marijuana because of long reaching tropical habitat. Towards the west of Texas extending down the middle of Mexico is very dry and arid is known for bad marijuana. This area includes new mexico and large portions of Arizona to California. Though Arizona does have some passable marijuana on occasion it's less common and rarely anything that will "wow" you like the occasional bags you can find along the gulf coast. Much higher population densities also sees that good pot is dispersed much faster and gets to less people per resident. Western mexico is more prone to indicas and lower quality export.

Bare in mind that despite wherever you live, your pot could have come from anywhere. Much of schwag is actually domestic low branches, mid west corn field weed, and applachian hills pot. Still more of it is brought around by independent smugglers. You may have Cali schwag in New York, Appalachian schwag in Iowa, etc. You don't know who sent what where to make a buck. Everything depends on who you know and people leave cities to make a buck in other cities all the time. But in general you are likely to see geographical distribution following the coasts, and proximity of producing or transporting areas. Gulf coast and south east have the best schwag. Followed by Arizona and Cali, with a distant third running in between them.

The south east is really the best place to find bagseed sativas in the US. All the ports, being located near the Caribbean, and many other factors make our pot stand out and occasionally find a diamond in the rough. Aside from schwag though what I LOVE is when they send us quality sensi mota. This traditional gold Mexican was 180 dollars an ounce I think. Worth every penny. This appears to be the gold and it was sensi anyway, but lightly seeded bags of Lima Limon, what appears to be Oaxaca, Zacatecas Purple, as well as plenty of others come in similiar quality....

See link for pix and more info.:)

A little additional info about Acapulco Gold
Acapulco Gold is the traditional name of a legendary, potent strain of Cannabis sativa originating in Acapulco, Mexico. Like the mythical Panama Red and Thai Stick, Acapulco Gold became popular in the hippy underground during the 1960s and 1970s. Although it is increasingly rare, Acapulco Gold is still grown in more remote areas of its native range but in recent times indoor hydroponic strains have filled the demand and the much more lucrative cocaine smuggling took control of the trafficking routes from Mexico into the U.S. Making the great strain all the more elusive and obsolete.

I was just a teenager when Acapulco Gold first made it's way into my hands in Canada and I can testify that it was a big deal, figuratively and literally. Most weed back in the '70's came from Mexico and back when I bought my first pound it cost $200, really brown looking, filled with seeds and compressed to the size of a small city phone book. It had a jagged edge on one side where it had been cut and ripped from a large kilo brick. It still amazes me today that 16 ounces came from that sad looking lump of ditch weed. The price of the fabulous gold pot was at least four times more but nobody cared.

It wasn't too long after my first ditch weed score that I first got my hands on Acapulco Gold, it was something totally different, came in a plastic baggie and was loose, fresh, yellowish-gold, buds. The smell and the feel were something that from the first time you experienced, you never forgot. A popular demonstration of freshness at the time, was to take a small bud and press it in the palm of your hand then turn your hand upside down, to prove the fresh stickiness. Once anybody tried Acapulco Gold there was no going back to ditch weed. Now I dream of going in search of the original strain, like a car collector hunting out an old Corvette or Mustang. I plan to seek out Acapulco Gold and think that I'll know when I find her, as she was my first true cannabis love.

http://www.reefersmoke.com/pot/

Last edited: