• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Terrified I've got sepsis/Septicemia from IV injecting Suboxone

SimplyJarrett

Greenlighter
Please let me preface this with, I Am Not Using Suboxone Via IV Injections For a High, Rush, Or Other Reason --- Other than, one strip will last me 4 days and sometimes longer, by cutting it into between 16 and 24 small pieces. I'm UNABLE to afford filtering items, let alone new diabetic needle. (I do keep them as sterilized as I can with rubbing alcohol and subsequent bleach+water solution, before repeatedly flushing and cleaning syringe of alcohol/bleach.

Recycling needles that only I use, and sterilize as best I can, I injected sub strip pieces in water (typically dissolving them in syringe, by shaking syringe) into every vein I possibly could find! You can now barely see ANY veins, except the thinnest and smallest, through my skin.

Two weeks ago I began IV'ing in the RIGHT wrist, exactly where you can feel a pulse. I KNOW THIS IS NOT ADVISABLE. It was the only place I could reliably hit. Five days ago I awoke and my hand, but not wrist, was swollen and all my knuckles on that hand felt like is developed severe arthritis overnight! Three days ago, "red dots" and a flushed color appeared around thumb and backside of palm, but knuckles were no longer tense, and Manny hands feels "hot".

No where else on my body is here swelling, red dots, etc. Just "below injection site, on back of hand and thumb. Tonight, I've got a fever ranging between 101.3 and 101.8. 8 saw on a few medical sites that a common diagnostic tool used, to determine sepsis using the red dots...place a clear glass over three doors and press firmly. If the skin AND dots blanch and dots disappear, it's unlikely sepsis or similar. But if they DON'T disappear, that COULD BE a sign of sepsis. I've tried that glad on skin, and it APPEARS they lose redness yet some seem to just lighten -- like maybe they go deeper into the skin, and not just on the surface.

I'm really concerned it may be a blood infection. But I also don't want to open the barn door to others knowing my IV drug use.

I took photos, but didn't post them because they'd first have to be published online, then a link to show them here. I don't have a way to do this other than Google drive or Google photos, and I don't want to link my email/identity in any way to the pics.

I did find online a pic VERY CLOSE to what my hand looks like, though my red dots aren't as stark red. paler red I guess, as my entire hand is a little red, possibly diminishing the contrast. Here's that photo I found...

sepsis2.jpg

ANY KNOWLEDGE someone can share, I'd he most appreciative. I want to do all within my power to prevent an ER trip or being hospitalized! And though I'm no hypochondriac, and much more likely to dismiss physical symptoms, I almost feel everything I've find online days HELP MEDICAL HELP NOW. But as with most people, it's ready to merge separate symptoms into a self-diagnosis, that actually are not related at all.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, wisdom, and insight. PLEASE DON'T jump my case about what I should be doing, how to do it right, or other blame the user, who already knows what's "right" but can't AFFORD to do it right. You can't imagine what I'd give to be able to afford Suboxone through doctors and pharmacies!!

Jarrett

How did I begin to use Suboxone, and now IV administering it? A brief exclamation...

I had a horrible car accident 3 years ago, and had multiple broken bones, slipped disks, and chronic nerve pain. I got superior medical care and physical rehabilitation. But from immediately after the abhorrent, when I was admitted to the ER, until year 2 after the accident, I was prescribed increasingly strong doses of hydrocodone and Oxy, by my orthopedist, and pain management doctor.

BOTH OF MY DOCTORS were targeted, almost simultaneously, by the state medical board and DEA for over prescribing narcotics. In a span of TWO WEEKS, I went from huge doses, to NO NARCOTICS being prescribed. Thankfully, I wasn't in physical pain, from the accident, though didn't know I had healed so well, because of the meds!

Withdrawals were intolerable and I immediately began going to a doctor who prescribed Suboxone. He was shocked at how irresponsible my doctors had been towards my withdrawal and life threatening detox in such a small weaning off time line.

Month after month I went to this Suboxone doctor, taking 8mg strips three times daily. After nine months the prescription and doctor visit cost ($375.00 per visit, not including lab costs) - with little income and paying cash for medical visits and prescriptions due to having no insurance, I had to find a cheaper way. I fought hard to not use narcotics, and succeeded, by buying strips from others, weaning myself down to 2 strips daily. But soon I couldn't afford that either, not with "street prices".

I'd heard of people injecting subs, but had NEVER used needles, at all. Read a lot of info on this site, and some other sites, though none as extensive and informative as Bluelight.

Desperate, and with no possible way to financially afford Suboxone via a doctor and pharmacy...I began to shoot it, in little pieces of strips, and only dosing when I felt the sub wear off...stretching the strip as free as possible, without withdrawals and discomfort. I CAN TELL YOU that I've never experienced a High, Rush, or "positive feeling" from injecting. Just a quick resolving of withdrawals and unwell febelongs. Why anyone would use it recreationally or find it fun, I don't know. It's not been my experience.

Now, I've destroyed most veins in arms, legs, feet, etc. How a nurse would ever find a vein to start a saline drip I don't know.

Bro you NEED to get yourself to a doctor Now! Why risk irreversible damage to your body or even your life?? It's not worth it. Pleeease get medical attention right away! The longer you wait the worse the outcome could be.

If you can't use a fresh needle each time and especially proper filtering technique then you should not be IVing. You're playing Russian roulette with your life doing it the way you do. In the future just plug your dose instead. Waaay safer!

GET HELP NOW

GO TO THE HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Im in no way judging you. I IV dope and frequently reuse needles. I just dont want you losing a limb or dying. So please, get it looked at asap.

Jaret
I'm definitely not going to attempt to diagnose you based on an online post...
But, if it were me I'd be inclined to believe there's a strong possibility I'd contracted sepsis. A very strong possibility.
If had the symptoms described, I'd think that they have a very close similarity to textbook case sepsis symptoms. I have experience with sepsis - not me, but my father on several occasions - and particularly the symptoms 'localised heat and inflammation' around site of infection (if external) and 'high fever' are indicative of blood poisoning....
Anyway,...
most importantly....
It's jaw dropping that you have these symptoms and instead of rushing to ER immediately, you're wasting valuable time writing a gratuitous post!!!!
What do you expect to receive in response to your post? You must know very well that just about everyone will tell you to go to hospital immediately.
But, you probably are delirious and confused with your high fever, so you're excused...

PLEASE get to ER without any further delay!!!
There's a good probability you have a serious life threatening condition and need immediate treatment.

If full blown sepsis has developed "every hour without treatment increases the risk of death or serious and debilitating kidney / liver / lung failure by c10%"

This could be serious threat to your life.
Intravenous drug users are likely malnourished with very poor immune systems, and therefore are particularly susceptible to fatalities caused by sepsis.

Go immediately to hospital now.

If it is sepsis and becoming septicemia you will die without the right antibiotic and constant temperature monitoring.

You aren't the only one that's ended up in hospital from drug misadventure so don't feel bad, just go and after you are better find an opiate addiction service and sort out your addiction. You can't keep doing what you are doing and there are alternatives.

THANK YOU you each of you. It post isn't gratuitous, or a "wish to hear" it's not that bad. I fully appreciate the possible effects and finality of untreated sepsis, or delay in getting treatment.

As an UPDATE OF SYMPTOMS, let me share that I no longer have any fever, and only have a flux in temp is when I'm beginning to withdraw from sub and I begin sweating (it's the first and most prevalent reaction I get, to both WD of sub and opiates in general), which dissipates almost immediately upon getting sub in my system.

The hand and thumb "ache" a little, but FAR LESS than before, and the general redness of the area has disappeared. My heart rate, BP and breathing area normal, both resting and with activity. There's it's still fluid retention in the hand. The"heat" I believe I feel in the hand, no one else can sense...comparing both my hands temp with their hands, but I still feel it warm when I press against my face life hold it with my other hand. There it's NO DECREASE in capillary action (press on flesh and it goes from pink to white, release pressure and it immediately returns to pink)

'...........................................
SOME FACTS TO CONSIDER IN MY SITUATION, beyond symptoms and description of my issue...

FACT...if I go to ER, let alone get ADMITTED, I will lose my rental/home.

FACT...the negligible income I mature now will DISAPPEAR IMMEDIATELY upon my going to hospital and the rapid knowledge of others of my issue, usage, addiction, and predicament.

FACT...ANY CHANCE a sub doctor taking me in in the future, if my finances or insurance status changed and I could afford legit sub treatment...would REFUSE ME as a patient! (They're ALL linked to network, and require all charts from prior docs, hospitals, centers, etc, BEFORE your first visit) I've seen it done REGULARLY. Here, at least, sub doctors are QUICK to drop patients for dirty urine, rescheduling appts beyond 30 days since last visit (patient waiting on payday, assistance, etc), using sub in ANY WAY other than prescribed, etc!! The list of people wanting a sub doc are so great here, dropping one only means you get even MORE money from the new one...intake visit typically us $600+ your first visit. So, there's no reason to keep patient who posses challenges to their care!!

PLEASE CONSIDER the above in your guidance and advice. If situations we users get into were simply resolved with simple steps, like go get help, find a free clinic, we wouldn't be HERE seeking help and information. I DO APPRECIATE that they're is a community online, where you can safely come with you dealings, problems, questions, etc., and find legit and accurate information!! It goes without saying that many lives have been saved, changed for the better, etc., because of this site and its collection of members!

If I didn't have the red dots, right below my typical injection site (I've hit that area/vein consistently, up and down the wrist area, at LEAST 50 times...I cannot find another place to hit, because most veins roll, move, etc, due to the considerable pressure I must use to get the needle to pierce my skin. When I finally get beneath the skin, it's like shooting bird in the dark..you know they're THERE but can't hit one)

I understand that people would rush to ER, because "it's not worth your life" or the damage waiting would cause. I appreciate the sentiment and concern. My life isn't that simple, and I've managed SOMEHOW to avoid detection of using, by everyone I know. I don't say this in ANY WAY a flippant manner, or without actually MEANING IT, but it's got to be evident my life is in a shambles, I live DOLLAR to DOLLAR, scraping change together often, just to buy a partial strip! My presence on this earth certainly isn't making a positive impact, at this time (though I was previously very successful, began and started a non profit that exchanged and grew so quickly it garnered state wide media attention, and the United way now funds, runs, and had extended its reach nationwide as one of its umbrella social services. So I am keenly aware of my lab our positive impact, and increasingly negative impact I have on society.)

I figured, having read thousands of Bluelight posts over the past two years, that I'd get "GET HELP NOW", and appreciate the push towards that. My inability to maybe express or word correctly my post, didn't reveal or explain all that well my asking if others have experienced this...thought it was sepsis, but learned it wasn't...what WAS their diagnosis/treatment...any further things I could do to better clarify or determine if it's just veins that have collapsed and now the other veins are having trouble moving fluid from the area (like a blood clot often does in the leg)...possible local reaction to sub that went under the skin but not fully into a vein (sub ANYWHERE other than diluted in a veins blood BURNS LIKE A LIT MATCH!! You don't just "miss"and create a fluid "lump" under the skin. Occasionally when removing or inserting needle, there will be a burn, from sub droplet on end of needle or minute seepage withdrawing needle...not much, but you feel it!)

MUCH OF MY PROBLEM is I have literally NO EXPERIENCE with drugs! Prior to my car accident, the only narcotic I'd ever taken was when I had wisdom teeth extracted..and that was only for 4 pills, to get me past first day, and Tylenol from there. Now, in a card carrying IV drug user, with about as many resources, competence, and such, as a Rottweiler in a space capsule! I might be label an "astronaut" but far lacking in everything else. I don't reuse needles cause I'm cheap, farther because I haven't a choice between buy needles (No needle exchanges in my part of country, let alone state!), and plugging hand worked, without using far more of a strip, which I CAN'T afford, to relieve WD. Maybe I don't have an absorbing bottom, I don't know. But I have tried repeatedly this method, after copiously researching it. I'd FAR PREFER anything to a needle, if it was something I can afford.

In my state, the gov and officials "say" we're in an opioid crisis!!' Lamenting on how many "decent citizens" who wouldn't otherwise be addicted, are dying daily from ODs of pills laced with fentanyl and even stronger opiates/manufactured opiates. Shit, even Nashville MAYOR's son died a month ago of opioid overdose, and still our state doesn't offer care or treatment, OTHER THAN detox and PATIENT paid outpatient opiate replacement therapy. The CHEAPEST I've found, after calling EVERY doctor office listed on state and pharmaceutical site who prescribe Suboxone (if you aren't aware, not any old M.D. can prescribe Suboxone) and the cheapest, that is ACCEPTING PATIENTS (over 80 % have maxed out the legal limit of patients under their treatment plan, with long long waiting lists) is a clinic...the one I went to...for $250 monthly, and between $62 and 85 for labs EACH MONTH. There's no payment plan, no discounts, CASH ONLY and no credit cards, and obviously no checks. To proudly fill a 2 times daily 8mg sub strip 30 prescription, where I LIVE is $490.88. Combined, theres NO WAY i can afford this. I can afford a strip, bought from an acquaintance who gets her refills FREE and $15 doc office visit copay with her Medicaid/Medicare (not sure which), is $20 and when things are tight, she ups it to $25. That strip goes SO FAR with this current method of delivery I use, at YES, CONSIDERABLE RISK. Around here, it's actually CHEAPER to use pills, than Suboxone! I can get a month script for $100 of 240 10mg lost an. Why not do this? CAUSE I DON'T WANT TO BE THIS..THIS USER! I was told repeatedly that sub was the way to go to medically GET OFF narcotics, only to learn the lie that Sub withdrawals are FAR WORSE for most, than lost an withdrawal!!

I'm rambling. Sorry. I just wanted to clarify and UPDATE those who's read and commented on my thread. THANK YOU ALL whip did share and comment. Your time and care I appreciate and value.

Hey buddy. How about you see if you qualify for medicade? If I had a mile long prescription history, I wouldn't feel bad about it. The doctor prescribed it, right? Any normal doctor would look at your history and be happy to keep tapering you. From what I hear, every county has a county hospital or some type of public hospital. They see patients that are indigent: needy, poor, impoverished.

These hospitals are not allowed by law to turn away patients due to lack of insurance.

IMHO, your problem is not going away very soon. Ever see the tip of a needle magnified after multiple uses? It is jagged garbage.

You posted a before picture of your condition. Do you have an after picture?

The way you say you are injecting this material will make you very sick, if not kill you.
If you have to pay, pay. It beats death for sure. You can check where treatment is more afforadeable and move there. Again, it beats dying or an embolism in the lungs or heart.

Any way you look at it, you need to be seen by a doctor. Tell them your history. If your on the up and up, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Speed King...

Thanks for your advice and input. I've tried qualifying for Medicare and Medicaid, not qualifying as I've no minor children, single, and not disabled (though I FEEL disabled! And disability in the US is a difficult and lengthy process that often is denied after many appeals. There was a time when just having a doctor state you were an alcoholic or drug user, and you'd almost certainly qualify for SSI (supplemental security income - disability)) You are correct about ERs and county/state funded hospitals, they cannot refuse CRITICAL CARE medical help (you showing up at ER sick) and if hospitalized it's not "free" as collections actively pursue payment, but you can't be "turned away". But chronic cree...treatment...etc., is NOT AVAILABLE, which is one of the causes of the growing "opioid crisis"...lawmakers, public figures, etc all SCREAM ABOUT OPIOID CRISIS IN USA but there is NOTHING being offered or paid for. Believe me....I've EXHAUSTED EVERY POSSIBLE source...this has been over a year out constantly cashing places, seeking help, begging help, writing emails to Nashville Mayor saying PLEASE do something (her son recently died of opiate overdose), tried applying for disability (you not only get monthly financial help, but gov insurance), tried getting attorney for disability application when I was denied, but the eleven I was able to get past receptionist and talk to the atty, stated they're not taking addict cases as they are impossible to win - best of luck though! One even asked me, "have you ever just thought about quitting, instead of getting gov help and insurance?"

If I present at the ER, and need treatment, I'll get it, at a COST TO ME far more frustrating to me and beyond whatever bill they send me! And as soon as they can discharge be, they will...with NO TREATMENT options for opiate replacement therapy, follow up care, etc. It's like a drunk being taken to the ER, with alcohol poisoning. Once there stable, there released. NO FURTHER CARE PROVIDED. It's the most asinine and UNBELIEVABLE situation, that as a college educated successful American citizen did not believe happened in my country!! I THOUGHT we WASTED money on medical originals that did no good. We may, but we DON'T HAVE any programs that DO WORK or offer FREE opioid addiction treatment. No...YOU HAVE TO PAY TO LIVE and if you can't? Oh well, bless me I'm not YOU!

It may sound SO ILLOGICAL or absurd, but I've literally balanced in my head...logically and without emotion (surprisingly)....better to wait and see, hoping it improves more, but if not oh well let what happens happens...And other options not really for a forum discussion. Each time my hand/wrist comes to my attention I think about it and look for improvements and changes. I'm not illogical, psychologically depressed, altered by fever our drugs, etc.

I'm just trying to prevent something worsening, though I haven't heard any suggestions, so there might not be. (?) Being TOTALLY SURE it's sepsis, similar, or worse, veggie throwing EVERY BIT OF STABILITY AND NORMALCY away, leaving me homeless, further in financial despair, unable to buy the few strips I can, and loss of everything I have. I go to ER, it's not like I'm one of many...I'm KNOWN THROUGHOUT this area, and trust me HIPPA, patient confidentiality, blah blah blah isn't even worth mentioning as "protection"for my privacy. So, I go in, and is NOT LIFE THREATENING, it certainly will become life CHANGING at considerable cost to me. I'm not "famous", public "elected official", just well known in the counties around us, ESPECIALLY in the medical field! I've heard "who cares" it's your LIFE. Ok, true...But what LIFE would I have afterwards?

Again, thank you so much Speed King for your post today, and to each of you have posted earlier as well. I've read them ALL, and continue to check back throughout the day and night. Whatever happens...it gets better...I go to ER...etc, I'll update here.

Speed King, the pic isn't of my body, but a Google search pic I find that most resembled my hand. Red dots are STILL THERE, though no new one (I marked them with perm pen, as well as circled around redness, to monitor growth/spread) and the general redness I had is reduced now, not as painful to move joints, and temp earlier today was normal. (Haven't taken in last 3 hours) I didn't post my pic, as you can't upload here, and only can LINK TO a pic online, and only pics I have online or could place there, would immediately reveal my identity (like link to Google photo, etc).

I'm confused why you posted this but whatever. If you keep shooting near an artery your going to end up fucking yourself up. It's just the law of probability. You can easily get by with just about the same amount of sub taken sublingual. Like there's no reason you couldn't get 6 doses out of one strip sublingual if you do it right. Also once you are inducted on a stable dose it will take less sub everyday to keep you well due to the way the halflife extends.

If your going to keep shooting sub you need better technique. First of all order a micron filter and learn to use it. In the meantime you should dissolve the piece of strip in a spoon then filter with a cotton in order to at least get some of the binder and other nasty shit out. It's not foil proof but a hell of a lot better then what your doing now. But the truth is if you keep shooting the strips your going to blow all your viens and have health complications. They are just horrible to shoot.

You should at least filter the sub, at least thru a cotton....I imagine it must be like putting a listerine pocket pack in ur rig drawing up water and shaking till it dissolves ?.....I've only really seen that method done with methamphetamine

I know everybody has seen these pics a million times but the problem is if a needle is tough to pierce your skin with it will most likely flatten out the vein and and infiltrate clear through it, tearing as it goes. Only a vessel with higher pressure like an artery will withstand the tearing of one side only and I hope you know how much fun arterial shots are. For the cost of a pack of smokes you can have a batch of new rigs delivered with out any tell tale markings on the package of whats inside. The petechia rash is also disturbing but sounds like you might have dodged that bullet.... for now. Stay safe.

7508287_orig.jpg

Thank you for posting this image. SimplyJarrett, the image above is what you are doing by reusing. At any cost, getting help from someone is the best you can do. What does money matter if you die. Even if you see a doctor, the doctor is rude (blanket statement) and doesn't answer to your every need, they will at minimum, patch you up and clear any take care of any infections you may have.

Forget your habit for a second. How about not dying from a stupid infection. If by chance they treat you, you ask to see someone from social services. They should know what your talking about. Tell them your issue. Any day you can wake up in the morning, you have a chance at a new beginning.

Needles are so cheap. I don't understand why people claim they can't afford them.

Hope you get better. x

I believe it is the general stigma attached to needles in general. Add any decent amount of paranoia to the mix and more risky behavior may happen.

if you've developed a fever then that's a sure sign of infection. OP i really hope y0u went to the ER before something serious develops :/

Please keep in mind that untreated infections can really damage and ruin your heart and kidneys, aside from all the other possible problems caused by IV bupe strip abuse. Who knows what the gunk in those things is doing to your body. You really need to find the resources to make this safer if you're going to keep doing it.

There is a small possibility that a tiny bit of bleach has not been rinsed out and has been introduced into the area Your circulation would be pretty fucked up by now due to your choice of drug use and generally the inflammatory response to bleach is to get it the hell out any way possible and quick. The nearest exit is usually up and out the skin and if theres previous iv points then it gets shoved back up there.

Bleach just kills tissue so a teeny speck may not be enough to kill you immediately and your body can get rid of it but it can cause redness, heat, swelling and little red spots where the tissue has been damaged or died on its way out.

Since you are unwilling at this stage to go to see a doctor would you consider going to a pharmacy and at least showing a pharmacist? Even make up a bullshit story if you dont want to explain. They would be better to ask and in person as inflamatory reactions, allergic reactions and bacterial infections are easier to identify in person by someone who sees all sorts of shit like that and spider or tick bites so maybe there are OTC topical treatments?

Just sort that bit out first and then worry about your drug roa.

You might just have to bite the bullet and make changes to practically every aspect.

There are so many threads about safe iv practises . Just get new rigs man. Microfilters have many other uses besides iv drug use so you might be suprised at how simple it is to stock up on them.

Hope you get better soon. :)

Jeez this is the exact reason for needle exchanges, but not everyone is lucky enough to have them sometimes local laws restricting needle sales... Still that also is a reason to make it more unappealing.

As you know this situation is tough and quite fucked up. I hope your situation improves soon.

Arent fresh needles available by on line methods and perfectly legal and packages discretely? I know thats the case in various countries and some pharmacies supply them too . Its just a matter of locating one.