• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Tennessee to ban Kratom on July 1st

Bluelight Crew
Tennessee to ban kratom on July 1st, 2013. This bill was passed April 16th, 2013 and signed by the governor. the state of TN associated Kratom with spice and bathsalts just like the main stream media. Once again this shows how ignorant our politicians are who don't even spend 2 minutes to research what Kratom is. Or perhaps they are simply in the pockets of big pharma and don't care about the benefits of Kratom and the fact that it helps hundreds of thousands of people.

http://www.smoketalk.net/1130/tennessee-to-ban-kratom-on-july-1st.html

They can associate it as such because it is part of the same infantile "legal highs" industry, for those afraid of urban public parks and whatnot. But seriously now, of course the bible belt will prohibit any opiod they find, even if there are no major OD epidemics behind it.

Typical Bible Belt bullshit. I feel sorry for any BLer who has to live and put up with the harsh, religiously influenced drug laws over there. Freedom of choice my ass. Who's willing to bet that the bible belt states will be the very last to legalize weed (if ever)?

^we've got plenty of freedom of choice. If you don't believe me, go to a gun store in a bible belt state. I'd like to see Canada replicate that glorious selection.

^me too, one of the few reasons i want to move to the US lol

sucks about kratom though.

^we've got plenty of freedom of choice. If you don't believe me, go to a gun store in a bible belt state. I'd like to see Canada replicate that glorious selection.

I believe you - I used to live in North Carolina (and I've been to stores/shops, auctions and such). And I still got family there, so I'm in the area once or twice a year. That being said, I prefer Canada's gun laws for reasons I won't go into because it's off topic, and it's not what I was alluding to with my previous post.

I speak solely of drug policy, and the way in which that policy is - IMO negatively - influenced when religion is combined with politics (and science, logic, common sense is kicked to the curb).

Some people might consider me a hypocrite for saying this, but I'm a Christian myself, or I at least consider myself one. I just don't interpret the Bible the same way certain denominations - such as Baptists - may. I used to get dragged every Sunday to a Baptist church, so I know what it's like and how members think of recreational drugs in general.

Regardless, I don't believe it's a sin to "get high." And I hate this war on drugs with a passion. I feel it's caused a lot more problems than it's solved, a lot more damage than improvement, a lot more bad than good, etc.

Every time I read about a non violent drug user being killed by police it makes me wanna spew. Every time I witness a family member pointing fingers at users and considering them to be invalids who deserve death and nothing more, it tends to tick me off.

This is the most depressing bit of drug related news I've heard in a long time. I fully expect RCs/designer drugs/synthetics to banned, but a benign plant, one that can do a lot of good by providing an alternative to more efficacious opioids...I think this hurts both us and the cause of prohibition.

^just Indiana I think. Another state had tried to ban it as a synthetic cannabinoid, but that was obviously ridiculous.

I think they just target anything sold at head shops.

I don't want a machine gun though. I think TN is the place with crazy fireworks places, you might convince me thats true freedom.

Mother.Fucker. This is ridiculous! What is the point of this? Do they really have nothing more important to do?

Typical Bible Belt bullshit. I feel sorry for any BLer who has to live and put up with the harsh, religiously influenced drug laws over there. Freedom of choice my ass. Who's willing to bet that the bible belt states will be the very last to legalize weed (if ever)?

VERY true...but if the Bill passes, it will make it that much easier for other states to pass the same law (that has lumped in Research Chemicals, etc. in with Kratom). Truly sad. :(

The state of Tennessee continues to move forward with Bill HB 0012/SB 004. Which includes SECTION 6. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-452(a)(2), is amended by adding the following language as new,
appropriately designated subdivisions: Mitragynine and Hydroxymitragynine. This will pass on July 1st if no amendments are made to the bill. I have tried contacting the people involved with this bill numerous times at no avail. I would suggest people continue to send email and letters in hopes that the message about Kratom gets through and heard. You can also send an email or letter to the people below:

Governor of Tennessee
Bill Haslam
Phone: (615) 741-2001
Email: [email protected]

Senator Mae Beavers
301 6th Avenue North
Suite 6, Legislative Plaza
Nashville, TN 37243
Phone (615) 741-2421
Email - [email protected]

Rep. Tony Shipley
301 6th Avenue North