• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Temazepam or Diazepam for sleep?

bobwobble

Greenlighter
Not looking to get high, I just suffer from extreme insomnia.

Currently taking between 10 and 20mg Diazepam at night only to help me sleep, it's making me quite drowsy the next day though.

Would 30mg Temazepam work better for insomnia?

Thanks.

Hey there bobwobble! I'd like to give you a sincere welcome to our forums and I hope that in the future, you can be a contributing member of the community and we can all be of benefit to one another! Anyway, onto your problem...

It shouldn't come as a major surprise that Diazepam (Valium) is causing next-day drowsiness. Diazepam works quickly, but also has long-lasting metabolites working behind the scenes that have extremely long half-lives, namely, Desmethyldiazepam. As a matter of fact, Temazepam (Restoril) itself is one of the primary, active metabolites of Diazepam. You could say, in a way, that a lot of the effects that you experience from Diazepam are actually the work of metabolites like Temazepam.

The main point is, Temazepam is shorter-acting than Diazepam and does not possess these unpredictable, long-lasting metabolites. This is why Temazepam is typically used only for insomnia and not daytime anxiolysis. It should, in theory, work much better than the Diazepam.

I have to agree with Keif. I've been using temazepam for a little over a year and I have no morning grogginess. One thing I will say is take it right before you plan to go to bed. I've found that if I take it too early, that window of sleep opportunity seems to close. Wish you luck and a good night's sleep! :)

Hello. I would agree in general with the comments above. I have been prescribed both drugs, and restoril worked very well for me. Works pretty quickly so I would have a window of around maybe 45min total to get to sleep before it would have the reverse effect. No morning grogginess provided You are past the initial side effects and have ample rest time. My Dr will not give it to me anymore, since he switched me to the Duragesic patch. My results with it were excellent @30mg. Good luck to you, hope you find what works for you.

Hi, I too, would agree with the posters above as I am taking 20 mg Temazepam (yellies) before going to bed and it works wonders, also I do get 30 mg of Diazepam spaced out in 3 times daily throughout the day + 2 x 0.5 mg Rivotril (Clonazepam) for GAD and SAD. Hope this reply helps... :)

-- Peace o/