• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Telling good quality weed from bad quality?

Rio Fantastic

Bluelighter
Hey, I was just wondering if there is any way to tell good quality weed from bad quality weed by sight - what to look out for?

Thanks

Lots of seeds and stems, lack of trichomes,and some brownish color all indicate bad quality but i have had some weed that looked bad but it was great.

Yeah, he pretty much summed it up. I'm assuming you just started smoking recently to be asking this. Once you know the difference between good and bad weed, it's effortless to make a pretty accurate determination of the quality of bud looking at it for two seconds.

Yeah, he pretty much summed it up. I'm assuming you just started smoking recently to be asking this. Once you know the difference between good and bad weed, it's effortless to make a pretty accurate determination of the quality of bud looking at it for two seconds.

Haha, awesome. I just don't want to be ripped off whilst I'm still a beginner.

no crystals, big stems, dark brownish color compared to green, lack of "stank", pretty obvious stuff...

the dankest bud i ever smoked 1- had no smell, 2- had big stems, and 3- was sort of orangey-brownish and looked like crap. But thats a rare exception. IMo the best way is to feel it for sicky-ickyness and look for trichomes

Smoke it and find out. I've had some weird weed over the years... once I had weed that was pitch black in colour, and no it wasnt burnt and or anything of the sorts. I've had some really really REALLY good weed that smells very sweet, and I've had some of equivalence that smelt like a skunk just died in a near by blender. I really like purple haze when it comes around, but it seems like in ontario there is less and less strains circulating. If you're getting a lot of stem, then its obvious your losing out as its not nearly as potent. Outdoor usually doesn't seem to be as strong as indoor, but there are exceptions.

Just smoke some, don't like it, then dont buy it. Chances are you won't buy weed that wont get you high. I'd be more worried about some asshole who wants to give you a shitty count.

Well man, since your pretty new to the whole weed thing. Try to buy as much as you can at a time, the less you buy the more people will rip you off. Prices vary all over the country as well as with quality. Around my state, the lowest grade shit, schwag, it'll be hard, compressed, seedy, stemy, darker green, sometimes brownish color, a quarter ounce looks somewhat about the size of a half dollar. You can find this for $20-30 dollars a quarter ounce depending on how much of a dick the dealer is. Mid grade shit usually runs $20-35 for an eighth of an ounce. It'll usually be a lot fluffier, less seedy, less compressed, might see some red hairs on it. An eighth will look like a quarter or more of schwag. Usually pretty leafy from what I've experienced.

Then the highest level, dank, varies greatly. But pretty much what you get is uncompressed buds, bright green color, sometimes white, purple, orange, but usually very vivid colors, red hairs all over it, little crystals called trichromes that are filled with thc will be covering the really good shit. It'll have a very strong smell, a smell that is unmistakeably weed, but no two batches ever really smell the same. I've found that really good shit kinda has a piss like smell to it, very pungent. This stuff will cost you $50-75 an eighth depending mostly on quality.

Just my experience trying to help another fellow smoker get his legs. Try to get the dealer to weigh the bag infront of you, or get a scale of your own. You'd be surprised the shit some people will try to pull.

Generally it will look "prettier"

On the end of shwag you get some brown, leafy and shakey, dry as fuck with more seeds than bud.... Mids generally have seeds, more green, probably not as shakey, its dry, but looks more appealing... Good bud will probably not be compressed, it is kind of spingy, light to dark healthy looking green, probably an amount of crystals that will vary from a little to making the bud almost white.

*as a note, some weed may be purple.... you will probably pay more for it for some reason... its generally a sign that its good but even a bad indoor grower could make weed purple if they wanted to.

I have gotten to the point where i can tell good bud by smelling it....

around here strain names mean very little...

unless your close to a grower or know someone who will mail you shit from cali. Strains mean jack shit.

If its good weed its good weed.... Although the ones that stand out are always my favorites... The kind of shit you take one or two hits off the pipe and your like "woah"....

ah jamaica i couldnt agree more with you, I hate it when high schoolers talk strains in pittsburgh.. little pet peeve of mine

good weed is good weed and thats as far as it goes

^^ whats wrong with prefering high quality drugs over low quality drugs?

if i smoked a bowl and it taste like straight up grape and i am fucking destoryed off this shit that is covered in trichs and so sticky its hard to break up.... i am happy....

or i could smoke like 5 bowls of some shwaggy shit, pick out all the seeds and stems from a bag that is half shake, smoke some of this pretty bad tasting shit and not enjoy it nearly as much....

Seriously, i went through a shwag phase.... We realized something was wrong when we would buy a bag of this shit... roll 2 joints, 2 blunts, pack 2 bowls, and roll a fucking tulip.... and that would be what we would smoke for the night.... When you can kill almost a half O of something in a night with your little sister helping you, its time to buy better pot....

**On another note as far as genetics go, you might not get a correct strain name, but i have gotten to the point where i can distinguish indica, sativa, and hybrids by appearance and effect... About as close as you can get to identification....

i hate elitists. period.

Okay, enjoy being mediocre, I'll smoke the good stuff.

Obviously smoking mids is fine and good, but you can't compare it to headies.

For the OP, first thing i would do is get a scale. Most people don't get ripped off by the type of weed they are buying, but the amount they are receiving. This is because it is easy to tell what weed is what (scwhag, mids, beasters, kb, good kb, headies/exotics/dro), but not easy to tell if you have been shorted .5 grams of some very good shit.

I don't mean people who are looking for good weed, I mean people who want to bash and throw down on every kid who doesn't know what strain he or she prefers, or holds themselves higher then another being due to their "experience".

Experience and knowledge are wealth my friends. Share it because its free and makes everyones lives better. Don't ridicule someone for what they dont know. This is a place of sharing and learning is it not?

Experience and knowledge are wealth my friends. Share it because its free and makes everyones lives better. Don't ridicule someone for what they dont know. This is a place of sharing and learning is it not?

Most definitely.

A lot of us here are just getting tired of explaining the same things over and over again and seeing really stupid/pointless (not referring to this one) threads that using the tiniest bit of common sense could answer.

We're drug users here... forgive us for our impatience. :)

Knowledge is free and available. It's called search, and the internet. Bluelight already has a wealth of information readily available. If you have tried and failed, go ahead and ask a new question. I can understand some people who are impatient

I see this question asked all the time. :/ A google search of "weed strains" or "types of weed" or "good quality weed" on google would have done it.

Sure but where's the human touch in that? If you think about it, theres probably nothing your ever going to ask that hasnt been asked, as we are not scientiests or research professionals. These online forums are about COMMUNITY. If you dont like reading the same shit, THEN DONT. If I wanted to hear the straight facts and not the opinions of others, I'll use google like you suggested.

Look if you're really pissed, just post the link, get your precious post count one higher, and get over it. No need to make everyone feel like shit.

^ You obviously have completely missed the mark. Besides that, why are you attacking me here? I answered the damn question, I even posted twice. I suggested search after I gave an answer, twice.

This isn't about post count. This is about keeping the forum cleaner and fresh. We don't like being bogged down by the same questions being asked over and over. In fact, all I said was this information is readily available at the click of a mouse and a few strokes of a keyboard. It requires commonsense.

The human touch, by the way, is in the answers others have given. Also, is the OP looking for a human touch or for information? Quit flip flopping by citing knowledge as your argument for being nice then just saying we should all be nice regardless of how often a question is spammed.

Nobody is pissed. I worded everything calmly and suggested alternatives. What I don't like is someone being passive aggressive or getting in my face about it like you have.

Nobody is claiming to be a fucking scientist. I'm saying you can find this information out there, answered by people (as if bluelight is the only internet forum or place to find humans?).

Not sure why you got so aggressive. I think I'll also remind you that a touch of human also means taking the negativity with the positivity.