• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tell me your success stories about quitting opioids and NOT having never-ending PAWS

Hey, what I meant by being the 'opposite' was... opiates make me feel like I'm in a kind of wonderous dreamland, floating along.. everything feels good, sure. but somewhat 'disconnected' from reality... I mean I loved doing things - going to parties, talking, going out.. of course.. but it was always kind of like, the world around me was not something i was paying attention to.

When I was clean... I felt energised, very 'real' in the opposite way to a 'dreamy' feeling.. in some ways that can be stressful I guess - things hurt more, the cold bites more ... Perhaps its just me, but I found myself to be really stimulated by the fact that I was more in touch with and aware of the world around me.

I used oxycontin and roxicodone for a good while. I went through a forced withdrawal after I couldn't peel, grind and snort oxy\roxy anymore. Oxy changed it's formula, then the roxy disappeared from my area... the demand exceeded the supply by pi squared.

I replaced oxy with meth because I was desperate to insufflate. The ROA was its own drug, for me.

Then I had to get off meth. I stayed gacked out until I could not stand myself anymore. Then I cut the ties to the people I scored from.

I don't necessarily miss either drug. I don't even really regret either drug, although my whole system was permanently altered by my recreational substances.

I DO miss insufflating. I crave it.

Hey, what I meant by being the 'opposite' was... opiates make me feel like I'm in a kind of wonderous dreamland, floating along.. everything feels good, sure. but somewhat 'disconnected' from reality... I mean I loved doing things - going to parties, talking, going out.. of course.. but it was always kind of like, the world around me was not something i was paying attention to.

When I was clean... I felt energised, very 'real' in the opposite way to a 'dreamy' feeling.. in some ways that can be stressful I guess - things hurt more, the cold bites more ... Perhaps its just me, but I found myself to be really stimulated by the fact that I was more in touch with and aware of the world around me.
I know the dreamy feeling. kinda like being in your own bubble. everything takes on that foggy/hazy feel. I guess that's why morphine was named after "Morpheus", the god of dreams.

I think when we use drugs for an extended period of time we forget what life was like before drugs. We remember it as somewhat of a drag because we took it for granted. Good feelings don't mean a thing if we don't have bad feelings to compare them with and vise versa. Because of this, in the past, every time I would get clean I would continue to live my drug induced lifestyle (just sitting in front of the TV waiting for things to get better). I would conclude that life is shit without drugs and relapse. If you tried living your life like this before you got addicted you would be bored senseless. Anybody would.

Drugs trick our brains into thinking we are doing something else. Opiates create a false sense of well being and accomplishment when in reality we are sitting on the couch like a slug. My point is this. If you get clean and continue to live your drug induced lifestyle (sit on the couch like a slug) nothing will get better. All the feelings you experience on drugs can be recreated (better than drugs could ever do) through real life accomplishments, activities and relationships. You have to go out and start living life though. It's never too late to chase your dreams. You'll be skeptical at first... those first few steps prove difficult. But soon enough things will happen. You'll see a beautiful woman and feel something inside that you haven't felt in years. Something as simple as a warm ocean breeze on your face will make you smile. What you're feeling is hope. This is what drugs take away from us. It's the hardest thing you'll ever do but I promise you this. If you stick with it and chase your dreams; give it the time it deserves (you didn't get yourself into this mess overnight and you can't expect to get out of it overnight either), you'll be happier than you've ever been in your life. Not only will you return to your old self, but you'll have a new appreciation for everything.

I celebrated 2 years clean off of everything March 1st, but my DOC was heroin, main ROA intranasal though I had some experience shooting.

I will say that the first year there was a lot of white knuckling. My personal journey of recovery has been through AA, so for me, I relied heavily on other members when I went through these difficult times. PAWS was definitely an issue for me for awhile.

I was still really depressed during my early sobriety. Or, really, maybe depressed isn't the best word, but MOODY. And irritable. Really fucking irritable. I had been depressed (suicidal) during addiction, and I was sure that I would have to be on meds for the rest of my life. Well, just short of a year into sobriety, I got off all meds (including suboxone, which I started tapering off of around month 9).

I feel no effects of PAWS today. That doesn't mean I don't have bad days--bad days are part of the human condition. But, the good ones far outweigh the bad and I now how to DEAL with my bad days in ways that won't hurt me/create more bad days for me in the long wrong.

I don't always like being sober, and there are plenty of days when numbing out seems like it would be convenient, but I know it's a bad idea because I can't stop at 1 day of numbing out--I like the feeling too much. Plus, numbing out for the bad days will lead me to numbing out for the good days too (because I can't stop whenever I want to), and I really like being mentally and physically present for the good days.

You are able to make 8mg last for a month?? Like you can take around 0.25mg per day? If so, that's really good and maybe you won't have trouble tapering the rest of the way off

^ yeah, it sure does. I probably won't have too hard of a time tapering off.

I realize this thread is pretty old now. But, I will share my story with hope that someone struggling with this horrible addiction stumbles upon it. And, I hope that my story gives you the hope that you thought you?d never find again. Because not too long ago. I was where you are now. And, I found my glimmer of hope.
I was an opiate addict for approximately 3 years, from age 20-23. I fell in love with a girl in high school when I was 16. It became a very serious relationship and before we knew it we had been together for years. We thought we were inseparable. But, in the end we both had different paths. Shortly after I turned 20 she stopped loving me. But, I still loved her. And, I couldn?t cope with that. I completely fell apart. Long story short, I fell under heavy depression and anxiety. I stopped associating with all my closest friends. I thought id never be the same again. And that was when I turned to drugs. They seemed to make it all go away. I started with the basic opiates Vic?s, Perc?s, etc. And as time went on I turned to stronger prescription opiates and higher doses(You know how it is). By the time I was 22 I had been through 3 treatment programs. All of which were extensive and great programs. But, In the end I just wasn?t ready yet. I didn?t want to be done. I didn?t want to ?feel?. I had moved on to new relationships and made new friends. Most of which were unhealthy. My cousin came from Arizona to live with me and my family for awhile. And I found out he was an opiate addict as well. We fueled each other?s addiction. And that?s when I found myself in a dark garage with a needle, spoon, cotton, and some heroin. From that day, my life got much worse. I became sicker and more hopeless each day. This went on for just under 2 years. During which time I found myself in jail with a 5th degree. Which I thankfully got a stay of adjudication. Meaning if I complete probation, I wouldn?t get a felony. That was my first real wake up. Shortly after I started dating this great girl. She didn?t use, nor did she know I did. Until one night she found a baggie and a needle. She started crying. And I?ll never forget what she told me. She said ?How can I love someone, who doesn?t love themself.?. And she was right. I realized then that I can?t have all the things I want. The people I want to be with. And the happiness that I desire. If, I keep hurting myself with these drugs. I never spoke to that girl after that. I then went to treatment and did it the right way. I had No idea what to do next. I was lost and still hopeless. But, I kept moving forward. I got on suboxone meintenance. I got physically and mentally assessed and properly medicated. I found an incredible opportunity to start an excellent career and took it. That was a HUGE thing for me. I made new healthy friendships and blocked the old ones. That was very important for me. I learned that I dont need to be in a relationship or to rely on friends to make my happy. I can do that myself! I finally got the place where I never thought Id make it to. Right now Im sitting here in my nice appartment with over a year and a half of sobriety. With my job that pays well and treats me great. I have lots of great friends that are always down to have a good drug free time. Im healthy, even fit these days. I even became friends with the girl I loved through high school. And there?s still more great stuff to come that would never have happened if I hadn?t started my new life of sobriety. All of this started to happen within a few months of me actively pushing and fighting for my own path. My own happiness. And now that Im here. I cant imagine going back. Things may not seem to go so great right away once you become sober. It takes time. But, it surely doesnt just fall onto your lap. You have to be proactive and work for it. And one thing that I came to realize is that everyone has to work there own program. Not everything works for everyone. I personally dont attend meetings very often, if at all. I dont fallow the steps. But for a lot of people, those things are necessary! Im all about living in a positive direction now. My goal in life is to become more and more happy with myself. To grow more and more content with what I have. And to enjoy life as much as I can. I still have days where I get a little depressed for whatever reason. And I fix whatever it is. Ive learned that some things are persuable and you can obtain them with a little work. And some things you have to just be patient and wait for them to come to to you. I hope everyone out there that?s struggling, finds whatever it is that snaps them out of it. And that they find what makes them happy in life. And they never stop pushing to become happier.

Last edited:
9 months off a 300mg of morphine pain management habit ( 10 years ). Feeling pretty normal these days. I sleep well. Sex life is good. Hobbies keep me busy. New friends. Life is good. Roughest part besides the withdrawal was coming to terms with the daily pain that was gone for those 10 years. After months of up and downs my brain finally did reset my pain level...

R13