Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Tastebuds on MDMA

Claudia Sass

Bluelighter
Sup Fellow MDMA-user Bluelighters!

I was going through journal entries and found an old one that included me raiding my fridge and cupboard while rolling.
It got me thinking about how MDMA alters your perception of taste, and if others experience it the same as I do.

What food/drinks have you tried on MDMA? What did it taste like in comparison to what you're used to? What should I buy to try for my next Journey?

Here is a clip from my journey, tasting things in real-time.

Watermelon tastes good. It's fun to bite into and it tastes sweet, but it's super messy.
Strawberry tastes fucking sour. Maybe it was a bad one.
Nope, tried another one. Awful.
Orange Juice tastes super strong with a little sour aftertaste.
Water Tastes mildy sweet and faintly of a berry. strawberry or raspberry.
Blue UDL tastes like being punched in the face with a block of sugar.
Big Mac that I purchased today and never ate tastes like cardboard.
Vintage Cheese tastes like plastic with a faint taste of cheese. Like those Bega Stringers mother used to put in my school lunchbox.
Milk tastes like it's been mixed with a bucket of water.
Tropical Gatorade tastes sweet with a very sour aftertaste.
Sweet Chilli Sauce tastes fucking amazing. I want more. It's incredible. Super sweet and super sour at the same time. It's like a taste explosion and my tongue doesn't know what to do with it.
Mayonnaise tastes like eggs. But tasty eggs.
Dijon Mustard has such a strong mustard taste! Tastes good!
Lime Juice tastes like rancid apples.
Chocolate Protein Shake tastes normal. odd.
Mustard Seeds tastes like rancid apples.
Nutella tastes really nutty with not much chocolate taste to it. It feels thick and really hard to swallow.
Honey tastes like it's been mixed with water. Like a weak honey tea.
BBQ Sauce is super sour
Tomato Sauce tastes. I don't know. Not bad but not good. Earthy. Like they forgot to remove the dirt from the tomatoes they used.
Smooth Peanut Butter OMG it won't come out of my mouth! It's so fucking thick it's stuck to my teeth and gums and it won't go down! It's like taste-less Glue. I'm trying to laugh but my mouth is glued shut.
(Peanut butter is the best fucking prank to pull. Next time I roll with my housemate I'm gonna dare him to eat a tablespoon of that stuff. He will flip his shit)
Olive Oil tastes bland with a very faint sweet taste
Soy Sauce is basically the worst thing in the whole world. Tastes like it's been sitting in the pantry for a century. Really strong, rancid tart taste. Yuk!
Vegemite tastes like what I assume Americans think it tastes like. Same taste but with a stronger kick. Like drinking a double shot expresso coffee after drinking a weak, milky latte.
I wonder what Sweet Chilli Sauce and Peanut Butter would taste like together.
Nope. Bad idea. They don't make friends in my mouth.
Butter has no taste but it's cold so it feels cool and slimy and smooth.
Carrots are super crunchy and start to taste sweet and good but then taste like earth after a few chews.
Uncooked Corn Cob tastes fucking amazing. It's crunchy and sounds awesome in my mouth. And it's cold and super sweet and juicy. Delicious!
Broccoli tastes like dry dirt.
Pumpkin has zero taste.
Potato is super crunchy but tastes floury. Like I made bread and didn't mix it very well, or cook it long enough. I don't like it.
Strawberry Sugar-Free Bubblegum tastes like candy explosions. Like they pulled a prank at the bubblegum factory and replaced all the gum with Sweet N Low tabs.

you tried all these while rolling? how long of a break are you taking between rolls?

didnt really notice anything out of oridary. used to drink gatorade, a lot . chew gum, i take bcaa's on them , a protein shake,and /or eat. morning after waffles taste good in home waffle maker. nothing really out of normal that I recall, just feeling really good

ime:

water tastes good. so refreshing.
other drinks are too intense/sweet. better saved for the comedown.
anything else: gross! why did i put something in my mouth when the mere thought of food makes me nauseous?!?

you tried all these while rolling? how long of a break are you taking between rolls?

From her reply to another thread, 3-4 months I gather. Some people like to go out clubbing; some like to raid the fridge and analyse flavours. To each their own I guess? :p

Innerpeace.

It was a journal entry from mid last year, a roll that I did at home and apparently felt the need to taste random shit. I'm assuming it was the watermelon that created the "lightbulb moment" of "stuff tastes different on MDMA. Let's test EVERYTHING"

The kitchen was a mess the next day ><

4 months is my "sweet spot". If I roll any sooner then 6 weeks, food/drink tastes mostly normal.

Edit: I would like to add that the next time I did a roll with my housemate, I was sure to throw a jar of peanut butter into the car. Between clubs, I made him eat a tablespoon of it. He freaked out and had to sit in the car for 20 mins while his mind was being blown. sucessful prank was successful and I highly recommend it to any fellow pranksters.

I absolutely hate eating most things while rolling. I only drink water because most things with flavor tastes foul. I can tolerate gum and will occasionally suck on a lolly pop but that's about it. I remember once I tried to eat a slice of bread in the hopes of calming an upset stomach, after five minutes I managed to get half of it down it was terrible lol.

Edit: I would like to add that the next time I did a roll with my housemate, I was sure to throw a jar of peanut butter into the car. Between clubs, I made him eat a tablespoon of it. He freaked out and had to sit in the car for 20 mins while his mind was being blown. sucessful prank was successful and I highly recommend it to any fellow pranksters.

BAHHHH I love PB! Shame that when I roll, it's almost exclusively out clubbing and I'm pretty much on the comedown by the time I'm home, and pretty wrecked haha....else I'd be all over the PB next time :p

Pretty much everything to me tastes awful while rolling..... Water is the only thing I can go for. Real MDMA triggers appetite supressents naturally IMO, even gum which people tried to say was good for bruxism turns into a terrible dry paste for me... mostly cause of the dry mouth.

Watermellon is the only thing that I would imagine to be any good

Most juicy fruits taste great when high (especially if they are really cold) - I was at a rave one night and they were handing chilled orange segments out <3. Due to the frequency that I used to take MDMA and/or Speed - I had to get used to eating on them. I would go for wet and soft as dry would give me the feeling of having a thousand small cuts on the roof of my mouth and throat.

Chocolate or stuff that sticks to your teeth/mouth would be a big no for me.

Beers taste very sour, wine is more of a smell than a taste (not pleasant).

Last edited:
I've been meaning to try lemon or lime when rolling. Trouble is that the loss of appetite means I hardly ever go near a fridge when rolling. I like my water at room temp and don't drink often. I assume the only reason why I went to the fridge was for a drink for Housemate.

Maybe next time I roll at a club, I will ask for a lemon wedge. Or fuck it and get myself a slammer so I can experience ALL THE TASTE EXPLOSIONS.

I forgot to add Pop Rocks.
Holy crap they make me lose my shit when rolling.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I'd like to eat while I was high on MDMA.

I'm almost positive one of two things would happen;

A) I would throw it up.
B) I would instantaneously shit it out.