• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe tapering off of subozone properly after an iv habit

agarttha

Greenlighter
hi guys

i've been hooked on opiates of various kinds for a while. they've been a part of my life since i got my wisdom teeth out at about 13, use ramped up when i was about 22, and by 23 i was taking ~40 mg of oxy a day (i'm 25 now, btw). switched to heroin when the oxys got too pricey, and for the past 9 months or i've been doing between .3g and 1g of h a day (IVed). tried to kick it cold turkey a couple times and failed miserably. about 2 months ago i hopped on suboxone with the intent of tapering off, but before I knew it I was iving the stuff. part of it was just to conserve the drug--i never got a prescription and could really only get 5 strips every couple weeks. i started off at about 1 mg ived per day and instead of tapering down, tapered UP to 2 mg/day. this was mostly because life started getting very stressful for various reasons and i needed the extra boost (job interview among other things, which i got, so money won't be an issue at least). a few days ago i decided to take a break from the subs and picked up some pills (dilaudid) and H.

this was probably a stupid idea, but i felt that i had fucked up by staying on the subs so long and wanted to avoid the infamously drawn out withdrawal. my idea was basically to switch to fast acting opiates long enough to 'kick' the subs, then switch back to them (sublingual this time, i'm pretty sure i started to fuck up my lungs by IVing the strips) and do a fast 1-2 week long taper, and finally fucking kick.

anyone ever try anything like this? do you think i've got any chance of making it work, or am I just kidding myself? if i am, do you have any better ideas? i really want to put this shit behind me, opiates have eaten up close to a year of my life at this point. any help at all would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

The first time I came off heroin I was in jail I was an iv user for 3 years after 2 days in jail I was never so sick in my life shorting throwing up they gave me a suboxone taper because how bad off I was first two days 2 8mg strips next two days 1 8mg strip and then the next 2 days 4mg and the last two days 2mg it work so good I was shocked no withdrawel symptoms after the taper was finished I will always use suboxone to get off heroin if I relapse and would refer this taper to everyone it saved my life

You can do it if you have your mind set on being clean this taper can work for you can't hurt to try

google 'Rapid Subutex/Suboxone Taper'.
the goal is to not stay on the subs for too long as their half-life is suuuuper long, which is why they're great tapering tools but also why they are incredibly hard to come off if you end up stayingon them for months and become addicted to them. same story with methadone.
rapid sub tapers tend to last a week and a half to two weeks - comfort meds are a good idea for when you make the jump off (iburpofen, sleepers, immodium etc etc)

best f luck

Given the situation I think keeping's suggestion makes sense.

If you are only on 2mg/day this won't be too horrible. I'd suggest reducing your dose to 1.5mg and over the course of the first week work your way down to 0.5mg, then to 0mg over the second week.

If you can find some gabapentin and clonidine, although particularly the gabapentin, you'll be a lot better off, though there isn't any reason you can't do this without comfort meds either. I do suggest you find some gabapentin and stock up on comfort meds asap though.

hopefully you can still get the whole effect of subs ...since you were slamming it maybe you effected the way it would treat your withdrawls now that you want to take it orally...either way eager to know the outcome...let us know how it goes..good luck

I survived five days of cold turkey H kick on Clonodine alone. It reduced so many of the WD symptoms such as sweating, RLS, intense muscle/joint aches, however I did an extensive amount of vomiting the 2nd night and 3rd day. Also I was coming off a benzo dependency combo, so was unable to sleep and actually had severe hallucinations by the 5th day. Without the benzo combo, i imagine I would have slept. They put me on suboxone because I had entered a treatment center, otherwise I imagine I could have seen the detox through...

It's amazing how even clonidine and gabapentin on their own can be so helpful.

It's amazing how even clonidine and gabapentin on their own can be so helpful.

Coincidentally, I picked up both those today from prescription. I have them mainly for nerve pain, also for insomnia and some leftover rebound anxiety from a H/benzo combo dependency kicked 6 mos ago..
Interestingly, gabapentin is mainly for seizures yet works for anxiety. And Clonodine is a BP med with very sleepy side effects so they give it for insomnia.
I went in for anti-depressant and got those instead. We'll see...

Also, EASIEST meds I have ever been prescribed from a doctor... food for thought.

Last edited:
As it should be for someone struggling with overcoming opioid use. Two classic medications used in the treatment of opioid use disorder, both with minimal risk (the only caveat is to be careful with how you take clonidine given its effect on BP).