• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin "tapering" off heroin

e92

Bluelighter
for the past month i've been using quite a bit of heroin, nothing major, but i would be dosing anywhere from 3-5 times a day.

yesterday my last dose was at 10pm and i said thats it, enough is enough. but today after waking up in a cold sweat and being in full blown withdrawals. i tried to tough it out but eventually i went and picked up again. i lasted 24hours cold turkey. i want to quit and put this bullshit behind me SO BAD but the cravings were soo much to handle

after i picked up, the hit i took was small just to make me feel normal. so what if i spread out each dose 24hours, then take just enough to make me feel normal, if i do that for a week or so would that minimize withdrawals?

in my opinion this would definitely work. its like the opposite of the addiction development. after you start doing the drug at first, doses move closer and closer. the first few times you were able to do it 24-48 hours apart without getting sick (if at all).. then every 24 hours. then 12 hours.. then before you know it you're craving more 6-7 hours after you last hit. here, i would be doing the exact opposite.. its like little by little you're teaching the body to be without heroin again.

and again, when i say "dosing" every 24 hours, i mean a very small dose to just to feel normal

it works but its hard to maintain willpower for that long, which is why most people switch to a drug like suboxone or kratom when they want to quit. That method is so much easier.

it works but its hard to maintain willpower for that long, which is why most people switch to a drug like suboxone or kratom when they want to quit. That method is so much easier.
i disagree. i think it takes more willpower to go cold turkey and you're in bed sick as a dog and want to die, when you know bag is only a phonecall away.. rather than tapering and still getting the satisfaction of doing it only you're doing it less. this way you're teaching the body and more importantly the mind how to live without it.

right now i am about 5 hours past my 1 dose for the day and i feel really down. no motivation, dull mood, adjusting back to being sober. it sucks. but at least i dont have these crazy cravings and in physical pain. even when i took that 1 hit for the day i didnt even feel 100% normal because it was below what i normally use. so my body is still withdrawing in way by adjusting to smaller doses.

dont get me wrong, the cravings are still there but just not as bad as they are when you cold turkey.

i'll keep this thread updated.

whoa whoa whoa, who said anything about cold turkey? I said it takes too much will power to taper with heroin, which is why people switch to suboxone or kratom. I didn't say anything about quitting cold turkey. Of course I would rather taper than try to quit cold turkey you nut.