• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Taper advice needed

OneTimePoster

Greenlighter
Hi,

I am a one time poster and this is to look for advice as an alternative to going to my GP and having this on my permanent medical record- however I am fully aware of the limitations of any advice I get from here. I'm just looking for some opinions.

First thing to say is that I am 17 weeks pregnant.

I don't drink, at all at the moment, and even before I got pregnant it was only occasional. I used to use drugs recreationally (ecstasy, cocaine etc) but that was years ago now. I don't smoke and I don't have what most people would describe as an addictive personality- I find it relatively easy to have self control with substances.

However, I have a problem. About 2 months ago, I tore my rotator cuff and was in so much pain, a friend of mine offered me 30mg slow release MST (morphine). As Ibuprofen/NSAIDS are very toxic in pregnancy, I took it, after a little research on the internet (I fully comprehend the danger of addiction for the foetus). I even managed to ask my doctor in a roundabout way, who confirmed the low toxicity of morphine to an unborn baby.

It worked so well and unsurprisingly, I continued to take it. It made life possible- carrying shopping, working, driving....

I stupidly took a 60mg (he had no 30's left), then a 60 and a 30 at the same time. I have stabilised at 90 mg per 24 hour period (actually less than the therapeutic dose given in hospitals which is up to 30mg per 4 hours). I take it in the morning, and by the next morning, I wake up feeling crap, ie in withdrawal. This has been the situation for over a month. I haven't gone up, I haven't gone down. I havent even been tempted to take more. Considering that through my friend I have virtually unlimited access to MST AND Oxycodone (he gets 400mg MST and 4 oxy's a day- I know, crazy- and sells them to me really, really cheap) I think this shows that I have some kind of handle on this. This makes me think I could get off this using a step down/taper which I have read about on the internet. As I said I have pretty much unlimited access to the tablets, but the lowest size he gets is 30, although they can be broken in two. He gets 30's, 60's, and 100mgs, as well as 10mg oxycodones.

Can anyone suggest a realistic taper down programme that will get me off this stuff, the sooner the better although it needs to last when it's done. I anticipate some kind of withdrawal at the end although I want to minimise this, especially for the sake of the baby. Either just with the MST's, or using oxy's as well as someone I know suggested using oxy's because they are 10mg, at the end might help...I'm skeptical personally about using the oxy but you guys may see differently.

Just one more thing....I dont feel that I have an underlying emotional issue that is keeping me on it, it really is just a physical thing, so no need for advice re counselling etc. Just need to wean myself off and never go back!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long message!