• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tapentadol (Nucynta) - De-addiction Guide

Wow, I thought I was the only one in the world on tapentadol. OP, please take care with this drug, I ended up in intensive care last May over breaking 7 extended release pills (100mg) and nearly died, I am now down to 200mg a day, I really feel for you, this is a nasty, nasty drug and I can't Fucking come off it as well, I'm also on fentanyl 50mg patches and 180mg codeine a day not to mention my benzo and lyrica addiction. I'd love a taper plan to get off all this shit as well xxx best of luck OP, I'll be watching this thread to see what other BLters can chip in xxx Rachel

^I don't think it's widely prescribed due to other more effective opioids on the market. Where I live it's also very expensive for what is essentially a weak opioid, only marginally more effective for some types of pain than tramadol or codeine.

Interesting that you take that I assume for bt pain along with something as strong as fent...

Rtp

@Runtoparadise - The reason i cant go below 500 mg per day is just the urge to take pills due to the aggression (Psychological), the firstv thing i do in the morning is to take tablets den i wait 6-7 hrs before i take the next dose.
If i don't sleep properly and wake up early i take this tab around 3-4 am and then I have physical symptoms - head aches, muscle weakness, twitching of legs (first symptom - and it ascends) then I have to take the tabs 3rd time that day.

Worst of it all I have some weird pain in the head (literally i feel inside the head 2 inches above the ears (Fronto -temporo- parietal region - Googled) .
Also I suffer from palpitations and chest discomfort. Mostly I feel depressed since I am unable to do simple tasks and always confused. I am usually well organised. but now its been nearly 11 months since i went to my Job. I am clumsy now and hate myself coz I have fallen from my standards.

I can try codeine but I am afraid that I may get addicted to it as well.
Moreover - are you suggesting me to stop tapentadol cold turkey and start on codeine? If so what about the SNRI activity - how to counter It? I thought of taking Withenia Somnifera to counter some symptoms will it be helpful?

I have been almost always asleep the past 3 days and unable to open eyes - but i don't feel like normal sleep since i was aware of things going on around this despite taking 1 mg alprazolam & 10 mg Zolpidem.

How do I counter all this. It seems the symptoms are both psychological (partially coz of drug partially coz of my inability to do things as before.) and physical due to the symptoms i have.

what shall be done about the headache? Its as if some one is beating inside the brain.

I have 1000s of rapid thoughts going on but if I sit down to do something in Laptop I just switch it on stare at it and switch it off. If I start to write some thing I cant write beyond the first letter and my mind goes blank.

Help me .. this took a long time for me to type - nearly 3 days of constant pushing now I am taking 250mg in the morning and 200mg in the evening both immediate release tablets there may be an additional 200 mg if I have ohysical symptoms in the evenings.

Perhaps all that you're experiencing is not purely drug related.

The anger, palpitationsc& the feeling of 1000 thoughts in your mind is likely to be too much noradrenalin stimulating your system.

However, the way you've described inner frontal lobe pain & confusion,-,well that tends to make one think a neurological disorder. I'd see a dr & get a brain MRI performed.

Meanwhile... Maybe it's time to forget my theory of not wding from the two substances that are in Tapentadol at the same time.

Maybe instead it's time to say to yourself, " I owe it to myself to get all this crap outta my system. I've been sick before, (ur an adult right? Of course you've been sick for a few days or a week many times), and I'm going to get myself as better as I possibly can".

Have a decent supply of Xanax & loperamide on hand, call in sick to work, & claim ownership of your life back.

It won't be that easy, I understand you're also caring for your grandmother.

Tapentadol is a relatively new drug. No one knows what permanent long term effects you may suffer if you continue to abuse it.

If you get to day three and absolutely cannot cope (which is when many cave), then try a very small amount of subutex for a week then taper. That will, as you know, take care of the physical opioid wd symptoms.

Keep posting, & read other posters withdrawl threads to keep you occupied & motivated.

Rtp

Can't you just switch to bupe and taper down from that? Shouldn't the lack of naloxone prevent the precipitated w/d associated with subs?

I don't know for sure whether or not this is true so take it with a grain of salt.

Can you please elaborate on the Xanax, Loperamide & Subutex based therapy. Is there any protocol, schedule?

Do I go Cold turkey?

What can I do about muscle weakness and twitching is it drug related if so what is the choice?

What about cravings?

Can I take any supplements to sort my brain out and increase my stamina? How to handle palpitaions?

Hey
As someone already pointed out the symptoms you describe could be related to a neurological disorder but could also be caused by emotional stress or mental disorder.

When you are withdrawing from opioids/reducing the dosage many people are experiencing intense feeling of depression, anxiety and -also- anger(similar to what you described). ;)

Many people think that an opioide like tapentadol, which is also a norepinephrine RI among other things, is even more capable of causing nasty side effects.

Try to reduce the tapentadol dose as much as you can, without introducing other or even more drugs, which probably won't help you, to your 'diet'.

If you still take the Alprazolam and zolpidem, fine. Do not reduce the dosage of these two, or in fact anything else beside the “Nucynta“.

You might even consider to increase the alpraz. dose(optimally only on the days you feel the worst), to help with the uncomfortable feelings of dread, anxiety and maybe also the anger.
- (Have an eye on the anger issue though, because benzodiazepines are able to disinhibit a person,similar to the way alcohol can make you loose your inhibition).

When your tapentadol dose is significantly lower, you should switch to an opioide like codeine or maybe buprenorphine. (Forget about the naloxone though. It's really nasty and Not good for opioide withdrawal because it is an antagonist.)

When during or after the switch you still feel really bad you might consider to introduce an (S)NRI like venlafaxine in adequate dose.

When switching to buprenorphine you have to be in moderate withdrawal from your opioide of choice(tapentadol in your case), to avoid the INTENSE
precipitated withdrawal buprenorphine is known for.
You have to give it a chance even when you don't feel that good at first. It takes some time for your body and mind to adjust to the partial agonist/antagonist which Bupe. is.

There are some more things to Take in the Equasion. I don't really have that much time right now.

Later this day I can give you a more detailed answer. ;)

Good Luck! :)

Hey
As someone already pointed out the symptoms you describe could be related to a neurological disorder but could also be caused by emotional stress or mental disorder.

When you are withdrawing from opioids/reducing the dosage many people are experiencing intense feeling of depression, anxiety and -also- anger(similar to what you described). ;)

Many people think that an opioide like tapentadol, which is also a norepinephrine RI among other things, is even more capable of causing nasty side effects.

Try to reduce the tapentadol dose as much as you can, without introducing other or even more drugs, which probably won't help you, to your 'diet'.

If you still take the Alprazolam and zolpidem, fine. Do not reduce the dosage of these two, or in fact anything else beside the “Nucynta“.

You might even consider to increase the alpraz. dose(optimally only on the days you feel the worst), to help with the uncomfortable feelings of dread, anxiety and maybe also the anger.
- (Have an eye on the anger issue though, because benzodiazepines are able to disinhibit a person,similar to the way alcohol can make you loose your inhibition).

When your tapentadol dose is significantly lower, you should switch to an opioide like codeine or maybe buprenorphine. (Forget about the naloxone though. It's really nasty and Not good for opioide withdrawal because it is an antagonist.)

When during or after the switch you still feel really bad you might consider to introduce an (S)NRI like venlafaxine in adequate dose.

When switching to buprenorphine you have to be in moderate withdrawal from your opioide of choice(tapentadol in your case), to avoid the INTENSE
precipitated withdrawal buprenorphine is known for.
You have to give it a chance even when you don't feel that good at first. It takes some time for your body and mind to adjust to the partial agonist/antagonist which Bupe. is.

There are some more things to Take in the Equasion. I don't really have that much time right now.

Later this day I can give you a more detailed answer. ;)

Good Luck! :)

Dear friends I am aeaiting ur guidelines. Plz help

Dear OP,

The few that have knowledge of Tapentadol & have replied to your queries have really answered it to the best of our abilities.

I know I've written several lengthy posts with possibilities of making withdrawl a little easier on yourself, a a few different options on how to do so.

Maybe someone new will chime in, but I don't think I have anymore to add. I'm sorry, good luck.

Rtp

OK after almost a year now I have come to 100mg of Tapentadol, 1.5mg of alprazolam, 20mg of Zolpidem. But now I experience a lot of symptoms associated with Zolpidem withdrawal such as Muscle pain cramps rigidity weight gain etc.

I need help to counter the side-effects and of Zolpidem and also a guide on how to stop both Zolpidem and Alprax without experienceing any more side effects. please guide

You're going to have a pretty miserable time stopping I'm sorry to tell you.

Your best bet is stopping Nucynta for 24-36 hours or until severe withdrawal develops. Take 1-2 mg of burp every 2 hours until you hit 8 mg or feel better. Go no higher than 16 mg the second day and then follow a taper schedule then after.

It will be somewhat rough I'm sure but after 3 days you'll be feeling much better.

Never had pain issues so I really can't comment on that aspect. If you are planning on stopping the Xanax and nonbenzo you need to do it separately for highest success rates.

OK after almost a year now I have come to 100mg of Tapentadol, 1.5mg of alprazolam, 20mg of Zolpidem. But now I experience a lot of symptoms associated with Zolpidem withdrawal such as Muscle pain cramps rigidity weight gain etc.

I need help to counter the side-effects and of Zolpidem and also a guide on how to stop both Zolpidem and Alprax without experienceing any more side effects. please guide

You need to taper very slowly. There's pretty much no chance you'll be able to quit them both without some discomfort.

I find kava to be helpful with quitting zolpidem. It would also help to switch to a longer acting benzo like Clonazepam or diazepam. That would be much easier to taper off of.

With a serious zolpidem habit a lot more than kava will be necessary in terms of detoxing. A benzo taper or something like baclofen would almost certainly be preferable.

With a year of 20mg/night though a taper/dose reduction in zolpidem and OTC stuff like melatonin and kava, valerian, etc will probably be fine. It can take quite a while for one's sleep to return to normal though, so you might want to find another sleep aid.

I have heard from more than a few people that it is easier to detox from opioid and gabaergic stuff separately, but you obviously have to work with your own schedule too.

I am going through withdrawal at the moment from 100mg a day ER tapentadol it is hell I’ve been reducing gradually and have codiene and baclofen on hand.
I’ve had chills , sweats , dry heaves , nausea,depression , night sweats , restless legs , cramps , watery eyes nose.
I got given this at the pain clinic and was told it was stronger than tramadol but slightly weaker than morphine , I wish I had never taken it.
Tolerance took 6 months to develop and i was taking for 12 months if any one else has any experience with this I would love to hear really struggling at the moment .

This seems like some kind of distant, far-out-there little thread, tucked away in the back of a room that's not used anymore.

Exactly what I like, a great thread about a somewhat obscure drug that only a few people know about; Tapentadol.

Tapentadol.

I started taking it back in 2014, which makes it six year's ago (as of date of this post, Feb 2020)

Prior to starting (100mg instant release) I researched as much as I could on Tapentadol; it's medical use, it's recreational use, it's abuse, it's pro's, it's con's and so forth, until I could feel comfortable with sampling it.

I can't recall the initial feelings and/or effects but I do recall that I felt somewhat 'different' having a Tapentadol after having some alcohol.

This became interesting.

Here we go!!!!!!!
.......we have something interesting here!!!!

My curiosity was piqued.

So, on occasion, I'd surreptitiously swallow a tablet (100mg IR....always) when I was out with friend's or at social gatherings where alcohol was consumed.
It had, for me, a little 'pick me up' feeling in a controlled blurry way. It wasn't sloppy, but it wasn't clarity....it was hard to classify. However it somewhat interesting.

'I just might have one' I thought, as I was heading off to work one sunny morning. Twenty minutes later, whilst navigating through traffic and listening to some nice music, I noticed that I was feeling really good... very positive, very 'at peace', very comfortable in a way that was me....sort of 'me' amplified naturally.

It wasn't like any stimulant, psycho-stimulant that I've had (as you can generally feel their presence somewhere in the equation)
No, this was different, it was hard to tell if it was 'me' just having a really good, positive time, or if there was a gentle uplift, a general boost of spirit caused by this obscure little tablet.

So I had one the next morning and the next, as well as one on the third morning, just to be sure.....and yes, it works.

I decided to see where I could go with this.

My idea was to try out a little experiment with myself, one in the morning and one in the evening. This was kind of nice, a delightful little interlude twice a day. Then, if feeling adventurous, an extra one during the day. But only weekend's.

Some days I wouldn't take two, just one and wouldn't worry about it.

This went on for about 4 years.

Occasionally I would wonder what would I feel like if I decided to stop. But that thought slipped on-through without much further consideration.

'Hmm, maybe it's time to ramp this up a bit..see if there's anything else that might be of interest' So I decided to pop one at night....funny, this had the effect of making me spew. But only once.

I stopped taking the morning one and felt a bit 'tired'.....like I'd missed a few hour's sleep. So fixed that and resumed taking the morning one.

One boozy night, I decided to have two tablets instead of one, just before bed. I think I fell asleep almost immediately, but recall having a great, peaceful like slumber.

Slowly, in small increments of an additional tablet here and there...over a number of months....I slowly increased the number taken to around 20 tablets a day (I was, as always, still having 100mg IR doses) I was having a great time, I was happy and enjoying popping these whenever, which made me think 'was I building a tolerance, were these tablet's actually working?'

I shared a few with some friends, all of whom were delighted to be able to sample some Tapentadol, even those who'd never heard about it.
Yes, these tablets were active indeed.

Slowly though, I found myself getting really tired. Not "pulled an all nighter" type tired, but really exhausted. I'd wake up exhausted and pop two Tapentadols to feel good....full of energy again. At work I'd fall asleep in my chair, finding it harder and harder to move. All I wanted to do was sleep.

Some mornings I'd wake up feeling morose. Not depressed, but just feeling out of sorts sad.....like a cloud of negativity had settled over me raining sad thoughts.

It has become a battle of will to push myself out of bed, to go to work only to collapse in my comfortable chair feeling like I'd run a marathon.

Hmm, I think I'd gone as far as I really wanted to go.

Soon, it was time to go on two week ski trip with some friends and decided that this would be the perfect time to taper off as much as I could.
-------Back later -----

Last edited: