• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Taking Xanax when traveling?

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
My Dr prescribes me Xanax every three months for 100 tablets.
I am going to travel to the US from Europe and I will be staying there for a month.
The original box label says XANAX 0.25mg 100 Tablets
Will it be OK to take the whole box in my carry-on bag since I made myself a copy of the prescription?
Of course, I will take the copy of my script with me.

You will not need the full box so take what you will need for the duration of the trip in the original box + your prescription (safest way). If for some reason you were stopped by customs or TSA what is the reason behind taking three months of medication for a one month trip ? Try and convince them that your not going to sell them.

(Take a small amount extra as a buffer incase you need them.)

Have a nice trip

i had to take two weeks worth of subutex from the UK to France, all I needed was to label all my meds clearly, declare them and also have two accompanying doctors letters detailing how i was legitimately prescribed these and therefore need them.

got through fine, keep one letter in your luggage and one in your hand luggage

My Dr prescribes me Xanax every three months for 100 tablets.
I am going to travel to the US from Europe and I will be staying there for a month.
The original box label says XANAX 0.25mg 100 Tablets
Will it be OK to take the whole box in my carry-on bag since I made myself a copy of the prescription?
Of course, I will take the copy of my script with me.
Stay in Europe.

The US border security/patrol have a reputation for being some of the most outrageously over zealous group of people/employees. It's almost as if they are actually parodying themselves.
i had to take two weeks worth of subutex from the UK to France, all I needed was to label all my meds clearly, declare them and also have two accompanying doctors letters detailing how i was legitimately prescribed these and therefore need them.

got through fine, keep one letter in your luggage and one in your hand luggage
Please see above.

They are travelling to the US. As opposed to Europe.

Well, I do have a photocopy of my script. isn't that enough?
As long as I have the copy of my script for these, I am sure I will get through fine.
It even has my doctor's name, address, and phone number and stamped.

When the last time I flown which was about 3 or 4 yrs ago, the TSA/Customs did not go through my bags.

Anyways, I need these in addition of me being a nervous flyer.

Last edited:
It is a legitimate medication and you have a prescription. It will be okay. People travel with pharmaceutical benzos and opioids all the time. Just call ahead and find out what you have to do with regards to declaring medications. There may be a limit to how much you can take with you and there may be some paperwork you have to fill.

You need a prescription and a letter from your doctor providing information why you need them while travelling and what you will use them for.

Just having a prescription is enough but some countries are really funny about this kind of stuff and can arrest you.

Before when I travelled to Prague from the UK with prescription medication I needed. I was out partying and went into a night club and was searched they found my medication and confiscated it even though I have my prescription proving I was legal to have it but they took it anyway and held me while the Police came and I spent a night in custody until they got hold of my doctor and he told them I was allowed it etc. I was then told next time I travel with medication take my prescription and get a letter from the doctor explaining everything.

It's really not nice spending a nice if a foreign jail when barely anyone speaks your language.

EDIT: I read you need them for being a nervous flyer? Well if you're going to tell them this is the reason DO NOT take 100. Being a nervous flyer do not justify having 100 xanax on your person. You'd put yourself in a whole lot of trouble saying this even with a legitimate prescription. Also take the original copy of the prescription to avoid any confusion a photo copy may cause.

Last edited:
He said in addition to being a nervous flyer, i.e. that's a secondary concern.

It's not a problem so long as you have documentation with you. This is probably irrelevant, but if you ever intend on travelling to more exotic locations i.e. The Muslim World, be aware that you often need significant documentation with all controlled medications and that some commonly used medications are banned outright. You can definitely do time in a Qatari prison for importing Morphine without a prescription.

I'm concerned with the fact that you're a "nervous flyer" OP. You need to be very careful about how much medication you consume prior to going to the airport or getting on a plane. Becoming disinhibited while airborn or even in the terminal could cause serious problems for you.

I'm concerned with the fact that you're a "nervous flyer" OP. You need to be very careful about how much medication you consume prior to going to the airport or getting on a plane. Becoming disinhibited while airborn or even in the terminal could cause serious problems for you.

Keep this in mind because the opposite can happen too. I don't mean to scare you OP, but if you under medicate yourself and look sweaty, shaky, nervous, can be grounds enough to get stopped and questioned (can make other travelers nervous). So just be sure to take the appropriate amount of medication without overdoing it, then relax and try to catch a decent nap while in flight.