• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Careers taking two (or three maybe?!)

Zephyn

Bluelighter
So, I work in tech. I do very well at interviews, technical panels and the like. I've got two offers on the table. I'm thinking about taking both. (both 40 hr a week) the hours sort of overlap with a few hours on both ends they don't. I see nothing in my contract to make it illegal. Obviously, I'd make one my priority so if my time is required by one more than the other, i'd go with the one i prioritize. This would be a good way to get some dough saved, more than I can imagine if i can juggle it. likely id be working on two different computers. anyone done this?

2 full-time jobs? how on earth would you make that work in practice?

you've been at each job a week or so and they both schedule a meeting at the same time on the same day. how are you going to navigate those kinds of conflicts?

alasdair

I have what basically mounts to two careers, though they are very different: computer programming and musician. Though this year the music is on the backburner, the year before it was starting to take off, and will again (1-2 weeks on the road at a time on mini-tours, basically Spring through Fall). I am able to do it but I have little free time, nd the only reason it works is because I can work my programming job from a mobile hot spot in the car when we're on the road. It's hard for me to imagine having two 40 hour a week programming jobs... the one is enough time spent doing that. The fact that the music is my passion and is what I would be doing with my free time anyway is a huge factor in how it works for me.

My guess is that you would get burned out after a time working 2 full-time jobs in the same field. But it would indeed be a very good way to make money fast, as long as you could handle it.

Also make sure the hours will be compatible, if you do it. Like my job is project-based, so if I get my work done I'm good, but I also have to be available from 9 to 5:30 every day. So having two jobs like that would necessitate that there were not timing conflicts, otherwise, such conflicts will inevitably come up.