• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

taking shrooms in and out the freezer and back in?

tazz20

Bluelighter
I was just wondering, if I've had shrooms in the freezer for several months, take them out for the day and then put what I don't consume back in the freezer is it gonna degrade the quality or potency at all due to environmental switch? lol

Were they dried or fresh before you freezed them?

If they were dry, then you didn't need to freeze them.

If they were fresh, then the same principle applies with refreezing other foodstuffs - I.e. it's not recommended. Freezing fresh (wet) produce bursts the cells open. Upon thawing, they are more prone to microbial attack - not to mention the fact that they turn into a rancid soggy mess...

Were they dried or fresh before you freezed them?

If they were dry, then you didn't need to freeze them.

If they were fresh, then the same principle applies with refreezing other foodstuffs - I.e. it's not recommended. Freezing fresh (wet) produce bursts the cells open. Upon thawing, they are more prone to microbial attack - not to mention the fact that they turn into a rancid soggy mess...
They were dry. should I not have done that? :/

They were dry. should I not have done that? :/

It's not necessary, no. If they're stored properly when dry, there's no need to freeze them. Repeated thawing and freezing will degrade them much quicker.

You wouldn't freeze your cured weed would you..?

It's not necessary, no. If they're stored properly when dry, there's no need to freeze them. Repeated thawing and freezing will degrade them much quicker.

People put cured weed in the freezer. Idk why. Maybe they heard to do it with fresh weed and dont understand curing and the myth has just spread.

People put cured weed in the freezer. Idk why. Maybe they heard to do it with fresh weed and dont understand curing and the myth has just spread.

Yeh. Thawing a frozen dried product is likely to introduce more moisture through condensation. Totally not necessary...

Mmm, there's some debate about this and I don't think you'll actually get a definitive answer.

If you do store them in the freezer, they should be in an air-tight container (tight fitting jar or vacuum sealed jar / bag, the seals on tupperware can leak air in the freezer) then brought to room temperature before opening the container to prevent condensation. A desiccant packet in the jar / vacuum bag is advised too.
I have them in a zip loc bag inside of Tupperware. maybe I should just take out and weigh what I think I'm going to use and then put the rest of it back in right then and there? I've always froze my weed edible stuff and never had an issue. I hear that freezing actual weed is a bad idea. I just hope these are safe to consume now.

I have a glass jar I use for my weed. should I switch it for that?

I heard that freezing weed is bad but I remember reading in places that its ok to freeze shrooms. is there anything I can do now to prevent further damage? Should I just keep them in a ziploc bag and stuff them in the weed jar I have in my drawer?

I used to do the same thing, bag and tupperware, and I found that the freezer sort of defeated the tupperware seal and ice would start forming in the bin. I still freeze mine but vacuum sealed in plastic.

In the freezer or not, without a vacuum sealer I think a jar is the best bet, get some scilica packets out of old packaging and pill bottles (or buy them) and toss them in.

If they're bone-dry they're fine (and maybe even better off) sealed well in the freezer, just don't give them the chance to take on any moisture. Without moisture they don't even really freeze. Just be very mindful of the 'bring to room temperature before opening container' routine.

My old apartment was very hot for half the year so I didn't have anywhere cool to store them, I actually had some dry mushrooms mold from the humidity and also potency drop, that's when I switched to the freezer :cry:
not sure if what I have them in is really considered "vacuum sealed" think its just a regular zip lock kinda back or sealed bad. Is there specific types of bags I should've been using?

correction: they're actually double baggied, I figured that would keep them safer?

I mean getting a full-on vacuum sealer, it sucks the air out of a plastic bag/sheath then heat-seals it. Very handy, but it costs a few bucks. If you're into mushrooms aesthetics it sucks the air out of the mushrooms themselves and squashes your caps though :LOL:

If you like to keep more than an OZ of mushrooms around I think it's a good investment, maybe not so much if you keep an 1/8th or two around. And you can use it to vacuum seal food!

With mushrooms you basically want as little air exposure as possible and low moisture, preferably low heat, so if your plastic bags seem to have a good seal use what you've got. Definitely throw some silica packets in if you can though, probably in each layer of storage but especially directly in the bag or whatever with the mushrooms.
I would probably have to take them out of the bag and then rebag them to do that. not sure if that would mess them up?

Just let the container & mushrooms get to room temperature before you open them after coming out of the freezer to prevent condensation and they should be fine, then make sure they're super dry before being stored again, whether in the freezer or not.
just to specify I've had them since December. just haven't found what feels like the right time to take them. am I still at risk without having the packets inside?