View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Taking Psychedelics While Stressed-Out/Preoccupied

PsychonautRyan

Bluelighter
So I have a lot going on in my life right now: traffic court fines, being in line for a promotion at work, hunting for a second job, outstanding debts I need to make payments on, dating, having a social life, the list goes on ad infinitium. I've been using DXM daily at first to low-second plateau dosages for over a month, partially because of its stimulant effects and also because of it's mild psychedelic/dissociative effects. Aside from that, it's been almost a year since I've taken a psychedelic drug, and while DXM has some introspective qualities, I'm concerned about possible lasting cognitive impairment from my usage.

Anyway, I feel like if I take a psychedelic again, it'll reinforce the mind-set of being in the "here and now", and relaxing by focusing on the state of the present moment, but I feel like given my circumstances, it'll backfire and my anxieties will be magnified into a bad trip. Should I keep a stash of benzos on-hand just in case?

If your instinct warns you against a trip, I would hold off on it for now. Maybe try some other routes to mindfulness and presence. But yeah, preparation like benzos and an experienced head hanging around can be life savers. In taking a psychedelic, you have to acknowledge the risks. There's no way around it. You have to trust in yourself, and dose wisely.

I wouldn't be comfortable to trip if I doubt that it might go 'wrong'.
I'd recommend to wait until you have sorted at least a few of these things out, that will make you feel more uplifted anyways :)

I've done similar a few times before and I'd say, if you are going to do it, it'd probably be worth starting with a low dose (i.e. threshold or just a tad beyond) to get your feet wet. There were a couple of times I jumped back in at the deep end after long(ish) breaks and both were a bit "sketchy" -- not full on bad trips or anything, but I felt pretty uncomfortable in my own skin for sure -- whereas I've always had glowing (albeit sometimes a bit underwhelming) experiences when being more conservative with the dosage, even when set and setting have been far from ideal.

While it can help you find answers to overcome some daily bullshit, it's also not wise to put yourself into a nightmarish trip just so you can get high. While you will probly learn from it regardless, bad trips aren't fun in the moment. You'll feel when its time.

Quite a vague question to answer given the range of psychedelics that are available...

A simple syrian rue tea (MAO-i dietary restrictions apply) works wonders for me when i feel stressed out and ratraced: slowing down to immobility and getting back in touch with the infinite now is almost unavoidable, the recentering and holy stillness that occurs is followed by deep thankfulness... Being hyper and all over the place is one damn unhealthy habit...

I find the tea tastes better chilled and not-too-reduced.
Also no need to gulp it down, you can sip it slowly=D

Here's one rule I learned in my days of taking lots and lots of LSD (I'm a bit thankful those days are over honestly lol)...just one rule that I think is actually 100% correct, and that's this rule:

Don't ever, ever take strong psychedelics if you have something important to do later in the day, and you know that you'll still be high at that time.

It's never a good idea.

With that being said I've taken psychedelics many times when merely mentally preoccupied and have usually had good experiences.