• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Taking NyQuil while on Methadone

JDouglas

Greenlighter
I recently started Methadone to kick an oxy addiction but I'm having a hard time sleeping on it. I am just wondering if taking NyQuil (Diphenhydramine) about 10 hours after my dose of methadone is safe? I haven't slept in over 24 hours & really need to start sleeping so I'm not over tired at work.

I don’t know about any specific contraindictions, but from personal experience of taking NyQuil after an opiate binge, it’s fine. And it really does help.

The only negative side effect is it works too well sometimes, and it’s hard to wake up in the morning. And when you do wake up you’re super groggy.

Be in mind that there are different brands of Nyquil that contain medications other than Diphenhydramine, but in general, it's safe to take both within reasonable dosage guidelines.

If it's the withdrawal that's making sleeping difficult or the restlessness nyquil will not be good to take as any antihistamines such as diphenhydramine generally increase restlessness.

Kief clear your PMs man I tried PMing you something the other day and your messages are full.

I don’t know about any specific contraindictions, but from personal experience of taking NyQuil after an opiate binge, it’s fine. And it really does help.

The only negative side effect is it works too well sometimes, and it’s hard to wake up in the morning. And when you do wake up you’re super groggy.
I had a chance to look at the UCLA Health drug interactions list between Methadone and Nyquil. Unfortunately it lists a number of interactions which would likely deem the combination unsafe. This is because of the ingredients contained inside Nyquil (Acetaminophen, Dextromethorphan, Doxylamine Succinate, Alcohol, and more).

Diphenhydramine in therapeutic dosages is safe together with methadone, as it's a sedating 1st-gen antihistamine there is no respiratory depression.