• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Taking anti-anxiety medication, metal mouth taste?

merseyside8

Bluelighter
I've been in medication for about 2+ weeks. It's actually working. Felt great. But tonight i had a panic attack episode but haven't gone to ER or anything. I get this inrush of anxiety and I have this nasty hot taste in my mouth. The taste isn't going away which is giving me more anxiety. Is this normal or what? Kinda confused, had EKGs and blood tests done, all came out fine last month. Seeing a psychiatrist and therapist. Given Lexapro and Hydroxyzine (as needed)

Have you tried just leting yourself have the panic attack. I just had one earlier today i have about one everyday where i have flash backs to random times i was suicidal depressed and in icu overdosing or asking for help and not getting it at like 15.

I break out in a sweat i get this nasty taste in my mouth its not really a taste as a look of discust my chest beats like crazy i feel like i cant breathe. But i just put on music like today i listened to the god father soundbtrack and counted breathing in 1 2 3 4 breathing out 1 2 3 4 while walking by the end episode totally over.

Is if it dry mouth or are you dry swallowing or not drinking with a full glass of water if i dont drink water with my lithium the taste in my mouth is beyond words

OP, I think that if you're already dealing with things like anxiety and associated paranoia, that the metal tasete in your mouth that you mentioned could easily be psychosomatic. At any rate, I feel pretty confident in telling you that you're fine. There's nothing to suggest that you're in any kind of trouble or that you're experiencing a bad reaction. I agree with d1nach in that you should probably find a way to endure your panic attacks without resorting to the Emergency Department. To each his own and I don't mean to minimize your situation, but it's really nice to not have to deal with the ER every time something like this happens.

One thing that comes to mind is that Hydroxyzine (Vistaril, Atarax), like other sedating antihistamines, definitely can cause dry mouth. Having a dry mouth, I feel, could definitely produce sensations/tastes like the ones you have described. All things considered, I think that you're fine and you don't have anything to worry about. I think your anxiety is just getting the best of you. It happens to all of use sometimes!

whenever i take zopiclone i get a metallic taste in my mouth, its horrid, so i asked my doctor to switch me to zolpidem and i don't have that issue anymore.
perhaps it a change of meds might solve this? that's one option, speak to your doctor first please before doing anything.

OP, I think that if you're already dealing with things like anxiety and associated paranoia, that the metal tasete in your mouth that you mentioned could easily be psychosomatic. At any rate, I feel pretty confident in telling you that you're fine. There's nothing to suggest that you're in any kind of trouble or that you're experiencing a bad reaction. I agree with d1nach in that you should probably find a way to endure your panic attacks without resorting to the Emergency Department. To each his own and I don't mean to minimize your situation, but it's really nice to not have to deal with the ER every time something like this happens.

One thing that comes to mind is that Hydroxyzine (Vistaril, Atarax), like other sedating antihistamines, definitely can cause dry mouth. Having a dry mouth, I feel, could definitely produce sensations/tastes like the ones you have described. All things considered, I think that you're fine and you don't have anything to worry about. I think your anxiety is just getting the best of you. It happens to all of use sometimes!

Really do appreciate it! Im new to this with a life episode that happened in June. Got diagnosed with adjustment disorder with anxiety. I don't really know what counts as a panic attack. I got a crazy inrush of anxiety but I didn't necessarily panic, kept calm, breathing techniques, & taking a walk but felt crazy. I feel better now and didn't have to take the Hydroxyzine.

whenever i take zopiclone i get a metallic taste in my mouth, its horrid, so i asked my doctor to switch me to zolpidem and i don't have that issue anymore.
perhaps it a change of meds might solve this? that's one option, speak to your doctor first please before doing anything.

I'm gonna email my psychiatrist to let her know but I only have felt the taste in my mouth twice and it was when I had an inrush of anxiety. I know what caused it tho so it's not like it was random. I have dealt with anxiety for a month straight that it became the new normal. When I didn't feel anxiety(which is what I want) I freaked out and I guess this instance just got the best of me. The metal taste doesn't bother me as much if the medication is working. I can deal with is as I'm feeling a lot better right now.

Have you tried sucking on or chewing something like gum or a hardcardy youd be surprised