View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Taking a trip while in WD from opiates?

SunSpot

Bluelighter
Ok this is either a stupid or a really stupid question, but has anyone taken a trip while in Withdrawals from opiates? I'm past most of the acute phase and would love to take a healing nature hike with some fungi or cactus, but I'm afraid the latent depression etc would just give me a bad trip. Anyone here have any experiences in that regard? Btw I'm thinking the cactus would probably be better as it has a bit of euphoria thrown in. And no, I'm not considering going full out, just a little half dose to do some cogitating ..

I actually did take my first ever dose of mescaline 48 hours after my last dose of methadone however, my withdrawal was never bad. It did pop into my head that "crap i might start feeling off" but that never happened. For what its worth I had a great time thuogh i am pretty sure it was the methadone withdrawal that kept me up all night not the mescaline, that didnt help but i then went on to not really sleep for weeks.

I did manage to literally get the flu for the first time in over a decade the next morning... that was terrible, 72 hours after my last dose and i thought i was in withdrawal but then my brother got the flu so it was determined that i was actually very sick and not dope sick. It was an odd few days for me for sure but that was unrelated to tripping, tripping was awesome and i think helped me get reacquainted with my old life in a sense. You do need to be in the right head space and because this was a "failed extraction" that didnt actual fail i was excited and happy to try it as opposed to seeking to leave my life in a sense.

Not sure if it helps because i was on 3mg/day when i quit and it wasnt bad but i did trip shortly after stopping.

I think you should be okay if you're past the acute withdrawal phase.
However, if you're having increased anxiety from PAWS it may not be the brightest idea because drugs in that class typically increase anxiety.
If you feel generally okay mentally, you should have no problem tripping a bit!

Cool, yeah for some reason I'm having no problems with anxiety, the opposite actually. Weirdest thing, i used to be so anxious up to the end of college, but i think the change is due to life circumstances too. I've discovered i can push myself to start something and then just wing it. And practice makes perfect.

So that's why I've decided I'm going for it, there's this hidden little hot spring in the mountains nearby. Should be a great experience, i just hope the moon is down so we can see the stars. And by the weekend i should feel much better, I'm already noticing more improvements after quitting kratom 36h before than I did the whole previous week. Thanks for your encouragement, and yes I'll make sure to only take a half dose cactus. And my full dose is someone else's half dose already, I'm a featherweight for psychedelics (though i do love them, i feel they ve really given me some non zero sum benefits)

I've done it on a low dose of mescaline and it was great. I think I'd have a good time on acid too, but I don't know. Shrooms would be a guaranteed bad trip for me. A low dose benzo would probably be a really nice addition.

Hi morph dreams, nuh uh no benzos for me.. Kicking my old opium habit (oral) is hard enough, don't need another monkey on my back (and folks say benzos are worse). But yeah, i was thinking of the cactus too, i love that stuff! But it won't be this weekend sadly, my friends schedules doesnt allow it and i feel horrible. But it's not like the bottle of frozen cactus juice will go bad anytime soon, so next weekend. It'll be grand, a lot of good has happened in my life even if i feel like s***.

It's not at all a stupid question!

Personally, I have found that psychedelics can actually help alleviate the worst parts of opiate withdrawal, even the acute stages, through their transcendent nature.
Furthermore they can help maintain abstinence and reduce cravings.

I have read other reports from users with similar positive experiences, but equally I have read reports from others who have found psychedelics unpleasant and unhelpful during withdrawals.

I expect set and setting will always be important factors.

I do believe that if you are expecting a positive outcome, you are more likely to get one, and you are sensible to take the wise precaution of keeping the dose of psychedelic relatively low.

Best of luck and hope it is a rewarding and beneficial experience!

Would love to know how you get on, so please consider posting a report.

Gotcha. Congrats on kicking the opiates! I sure know it isn't easy

I wasn't on any benzos when I tripped on mescaline while wd'ing and there was very little anxiety and a euphoric afterglow the next day, so even though I still felt shitty physically, I felt good mentally. The only negative was that the nausea from wd combined with the taste of cactus juice got pretty uncomfortable at times. I just smoked weed for that and it made the trip more visual but it was still mild mentally. If you're into dissociatives, dxm can actually temporarily relieve wd symptoms. It can be kind of physically uncomfortable in its own right, but it's definitely worked for me in the past.

By the way, I don't think your question is stupid at all. I've always thought that psychedelics are a great escape from wd as long as you're not wd'ing too severely and are comfortable with tripping.

I also want to kind of retract what I said about shrooms earlier. I think a microdose could be really nice, like just enough for a really good body high but not enough to really trip. Higher doses of shrooms tend to fuck me up, but low doses are always very euphoric and fun.

Edit: damn mazzy, you beat me to it. Great minds haha

Gentlemen, it looks as if we're all agreed! I'll post how it goes next weekend. But i have something special planned for this afternoon anyways, going to a classical concert. Music just sounds soo much better now, and this'll be the first time I'll hear something live after quitting. Hope my new love for music sticks around ..

For me, LSD trips always made me feel better and got my kundalini energy flowing steadily, it for sure took away the shitty feeling and almost made me feel like a new person, no question is stupid my friend