• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Taking 400mg of codeine before a wisdom tooth extraction

cowardescent

Bluelighter
In Nov/Dec, I'll be having 4 wisdom teeth extracted and the oral surgeon said I should take some painkillers beforehand so they kick in after the surgery is finished 2 hours later. I was wondering if its alright to take codeine as opposed to paracetamol/ibuprofen.

I've heard that taking opioid-based painkillers can actually intensify pain during surgery and I've heard the opposite. Would codeine be too weak for this surgery? What about something like oxycodone?

Shouldn't the surgeon do something else than a non-surgeon other than giving advice, like prescribing the medication needed for your comfort?

I ate morphine before somthing st the dentist, he froze me too i nodded through the whole thing lol

Dont take pain killers before the surgery unless you intend to tell the oral surgeon. It could interact with the sedatives they administer and potentially lead to an OD in a worst case scenario. Take em after the extraction because you will need em dude!

Dont take pain killers before the surgery unless you intend to tell the oral surgeon. It could interact with the sedatives they administer and potentially lead to an OD in a worst case scenario. Take em after the extraction because you will need em dude!

Amen. God forbid the painkillers interact with the sedation. Take them after man, you won't get any relief while you're out