• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Taken 8mg Hydromorphone - can I take Benzos to sleep now? help please

bolero

Greenlighter
Dear All

Thanks for this forum. I have endometriosis (pain!) and insomnia. I usually take 16mg doses twice daily of codeine, only when I am suffering from endometriosis or migraines (endo - 3 days/nights. Migraines varies but lately only three times a month, sometimes a lot more often) I take benzos every night and occasionally in the morning.

Tonight I ran out of Codeine and found some 8mg Hydromorphone capsules that a friend gave me and took one. I have never taken hydromorphone before. I occasionally take small doses of Codeine as above. I was about to take my usual benzos for sleep but thought I should google for safety and found many posts on here saying its dangerous.

TLDR Questions
  • It's been almost 2 hours since I took the Hydropmorphone, can I take Any amount of benzo now so I can sleep?
    (I normally take 1mg Xanax per night and 10-15mg of Valium every night for 2 years, have previously been addicted to zopiclone and other benzos for sleep)
  • If not, how long should I leave it before I take some benzos to sleep, and should I then take less than normal?
Context

My last opiate/benzo dose was this morning at approx 9.30am (16mg codeine, 5 mg valium), the previous dose was last night at 2am (16mg codeine 1mg Xanax, 10mg Valium). Its 4.30am now.

I've read the threads and now I'm a bit anxious and tired. I haven't taken any benzos. I haven't drunk any alcohol. I smoked a joint a few hours ago. I have previously mixed alcohol and benzos in cautious doses and not at the same time)

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Dear All

Thanks for this forum. I have endometriosis (pain!) and insomnia. I usually take 16mg doses twice daily of codeine, only when I am suffering from endometriosis or migraines (endo - 3 days/nights. Migraines varies but lately only three times a month, sometimes a lot more often) I take benzos every night and occasionally in the morning.

Tonight I ran out of Codeine and found some 8mg Hydromorphone capsules that a friend gave me and took one. I have never taken hydromorphone before. I occasionally take small doses of Codeine as above. I was about to take my usual benzos for sleep but thought I should google for safety and found many posts on here saying its dangerous.

TLDR Questions
  • It's been almost 2 hours since I took the Hydropmorphone, can I take Any amount of benzo now so I can sleep?
    (I normally take 1mg Xanax per night and 10-15mg of Valium every night for 2 years, have previously been addicted to zopiclone and other benzos for sleep)
  • If not, how long should I leave it before I take some benzos to sleep, and should I then take less than normal?
Context

My last opiate/benzo dose was this morning at approx 9.30am (16mg codeine, 5 mg valium), the previous dose was last night at 2am (16mg codeine 1mg Xanax, 10mg Valium). Its 4.30am now.

I've read the threads and now I'm a bit anxious and tired. I haven't taken any benzos. I haven't drunk any alcohol. I smoked a joint a few hours ago. I have previously mixed alcohol and benzos in cautious doses and not at the same time)

Any help appreciated

Thanks
I would not take the risk-benzos and opiates together is asking for an OD. The hydromorphone doesn’t make you sleepy? It should.

Codeine metabolizes into morphine. A 16mg dose of codeine is equal to about 3mg of morphine (that's on the high end) for a total of 6mg in one day... since you take it twice. Now if you take an 8mg capsule of hydromorphone, that is equal to 32mg of morphine (in a single dose). Thats quite a bit more than what you're used to taking. Thats just over 10x's the amount you take in a single dose. I would avoid mixing opiates and benzo's together, especially since you are taking more than your usual dose.

A LOT of overdoses are contributed to mixing dowers together. Ie. opiates and benzo's, opiates and alcohol, or mixing all 3 together. But you get the point.

Be careful. My recommendation is to NOT take them together.

Thanks to both, I didn't take any benzos in the end, and the hydromorphone did make me kind of sleepy but felt somewhat anxious, I have slept for about an hour. It's now 8am. It's now been 5 hours since I took the hydromorphone. Is it safe to take the benzos yet do you think?
I've read the half life of hydr is approx 3-4 hrs but not sure if that means it ok or not.

I feel kind of odd right now but could be due to lack of sleep, could be I'm still feeling the hydromorphone, I guess its too soon to feel benzo withdrawal?

I know that no-one has all the answers for my body but any idea if its ok now to take even a bit of xanax or valium or I should wait more? and if more would that be a short time or a long time?

Sorry for all the questions, it was stupid of me to take that pill without researching first, appreciate the help a lot

Thanks to both, I didn't take any benzos in the end, and the hydromorphone did make me kind of sleepy but felt somewhat anxious, I have slept for about an hour. It's now 8am. It's now been 5 hours since I took the hydromorphone. Is it safe to take the benzos yet do you think?
I've read the half life of hydr is approx 3-4 hrs but not sure if that means it ok or not.

I feel kind of odd right now but could be due to lack of sleep, could be I'm still feeling the hydromorphone, I guess its too soon to feel benzo withdrawal?

I know that no-one has all the answers for my body but any idea if its ok now to take even a bit of xanax or valium or I should wait more? and if more would that be a short time or a long time?

Sorry for all the questions, it was stupid of me to take that pill without researching first, appreciate the help a lot
It’s probably ok now since it’s been five hours. Just be careful.

THANKYOU FOR SAVING MY LIFE!

I just want to say thanks to both of you and also to everyone on this forum. There were actually so many clear warnings and experiences shared on the forum it was really enough for me to know not to do it, and this personalised advice helped me to make good choices, understand the doses and feel better.

Given a reaction I now remember when I took 60mgs codeine and Very slightly more valium than normal (I felt like i might be stopping breathing and my heart feeling very bad - had to keep myself awake even though so tired), I feel theres a very good chance I would be dead right now if it wasn't for this forum and you lovely people. Thanks so much!!! <3 <3 <3

In the end I actually waited even more hours before I took any valium. I was able to sleep without it and only took 2.5mgs later to stop anxiety. Now (almost 24hrs later) I can safely take my nightly dose of benzos and no more Hydromorphone for me!

This forum is invaluable, you must have saved many lives already xxx

Taken at night, benzodiazepines can lead to next-day drowsiness and sedation. These drugs last longer and so may help a person stay asleep through the night. In practice, many of the benzodiazepines used for treating anxiety such as lorazepam (Ativan) and alprazolam (Xanax) — are also used to induce sleep.

No, only tolerant heavy opiate users can use benzos with opiates ( i take 9mg hydrmorphone aswell as 100mg morphine per day w 20mg oxy) and a 2mg benzo alone gets me in a sedated state, along w opiates i nod, dont do it.

Edit, didnt notice it was hours apart, as long as say 4-6 hrs apart, np go for it youre in the clear. Esp hydromorphone in my exp any'negative effects' dissipitate within 3-4 hrs

Last edited:
THANKYOU FOR SAVING MY LIFE!

I just want to say thanks to both of you and also to everyone on this forum. There were actually so many clear warnings and experiences shared on the forum it was really enough for me to know not to do it, and this personalised advice helped me to make good choices, understand the doses and feel better.

Given a reaction I now remember when I took 60mgs codeine and Very slightly more valium than normal (I felt like i might be stopping breathing and my heart feeling very bad - had to keep myself awake even though so tired), I feel theres a very good chance I would be dead right now if it wasn't for this forum and you lovely people. Thanks so much!!! <3 <3 <3

In the end I actually waited even more hours before I took any valium. I was able to sleep without it and only took 2.5mgs later to stop anxiety. Now (almost 24hrs later) I can safely take my nightly dose of benzos and no more Hydromorphone for me!

This forum is invaluable, you must have saved many lives already xxx
Glad I could help.

Almost all headaches/migraines are caused by dehydration. Medications are notorious for causing this problem, as well as interfering with normal feelings of thirst. There is probably a medical term for that, but what I mean is that these medications can prevent you from feeling thirsty, even when your body is lacking fluid.
I suggest drinking more water. Lots of water - say...at least one extra liter each day. Ignore the fact that you don't "feel" thirsty. Just remind yourself what those headaches feel like. You won't regret it.
Best wishes.