Take An Inventory

Blue Lava

Bluelighter
"Inventory"
Wednesday, December 11, 2002 07:52:31 PM
From www.partysafe.org.
TAKE AN INVENTORY
What follows are some questions designed to help you think about what you use and decide where you draw the line between what is okay and what is "too much, too often."
When you read these questions, be honest with yourself. Acknowledge what you're using and how much. You can decide later whether it's a problem or not. But if you can't admit to yourself what you're using, then... well... it sounds like a problem. At the same time, don't be afraid to acknowledge a problem. You can decide later what to do about it or if you're even ready to make a change.
1 First, do an inventory. What drugs are you using? Include drugs that you take only "little" of every once and a while as well as ones you use regularly. (And remember, nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, marijuana, and poppers are drugs, as well as speed, ecstasy, GHB, and K.)
2 How often are you using? Be real. Mark on a calendar the days that you use and also the days that you spend recovering.
3 How much are you using? Have you had to increase the amount of a drug you take to get the same effect?
4 How much money are you spending on drugs?
5 If you are using a drug more than once a week, what happens when you stop? How to you feel?
6 Do you sometimes find that even though you're already high you want to take more?
7 Do you have strategies for controlling your use? What rules or boundaries do you have for your use?
8 Have you changed your activities or the people you hang out with based on drug use?
9 By the way, how are things in your relationships and at work? Having any problems? Has the amount of conflict and tension in your life increased?
10 How are the drugs you're using affecting your health? What bad experiences have you had with drugs? Do they ever make you sick or give you side effects? How do you feel the next day? How long does it take before you feel normal after using? Are you eating right and exercising like a good boy?
11 How are the drugs you're using affecting your thoughts and feelings? Have you found yourself feeling suspicious, paranoid, distrustful, or anxious? Do get angry or losing your temper easily? Do you feel like you have a different perspective on reality than other people, that you know or understand things others don't?
To sum up, here are three bottom-line questions:
1 What are the benefits of the drugs you use? What positive things are they doing for you?
2 What is down side? What are the disadvantages of the drugs you use?
3 Do the benefits outweigh the disadvantages? Are you still having fun?

Firstly, awesome props on this Blue Lava, this looks to be one of the best 'reality check' devices that I've seen in recent memory, and I get the feeling its going to sting a lot of people, its certainly stung me pretty badly. I'm going to answer it as best I can.
1 First, do an inventory. What drugs are you using? Include drugs that you take only "little" of every once and a while as well as ones you use regularly. (And remember, nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, marijuana, and poppers are drugs, as well as speed, ecstasy, GHB, and K.)
Drugs I'm using:
AMT
5-Meo-DMT
DXM
Tramal (synthetic opioid)
Codeine
MDMA
Methamphetamine
Cannabis
LSD
Shrooms
Alcohol
Nicotine
Nitrous
Caffeine
2 How often are you using? Be real. Mark on a calendar the days that you use and also the days that you spend recovering.
Once every fortnight or so for Meth or MDMA, at least 3 times a week heavily for stuff like Tramal, and light use of other things (such as alcohol and nicotine and caffeine) almost daily.
3 How much are you using? Have you had to increase the amount of a drug you take to get the same effect?
I have not had to increase the amount of any drug in order to get the same effect as of yet.
Say $300 Australian per month on average?
5 If you are using a drug more than once a week, what happens when you stop? How to you feel?
In the instance of caffeine or tramal, fairly bad, get mild withdrawl etc, makes me irritable, though I'm conscious of it being directly caused by the drugs.
6 Do you sometimes find that even though you're already high you want to take more?
Yes, quite often I'll be completely fucked, and still want more. Actually, its more often than not.
7 Do you have strategies for controlling your use? What rules or boundaries do you have for your use?
No heavy usage of any substance that will have an effect on my work during the week. I will not use drugs at work, and for stuff which has a several day long hangover or aftereffects, I try not to use it so that I will still be affected in some way at work.
8 Have you changed your activities or the people you hang out with based on drug use?
Yes, the vast majority of my activities revolve around drug use, and certainly there are no friends that I have that do not use illicit drugs.
9 By the way, how are things in your relationships and at work? Having any problems? Has the amount of conflict and tension in your life increased?
The amount of tension in my life has increased in certain areas, there is not any more conflict, in fact I would say there is less. My work is fine, I am not having any problems apart from finding it unmotivating, and quite boring. My relationships are good, though there is tension at times, as with any relationships, I find them certainly more beneficial than not. :)
10 How are the drugs you're using affecting your health? What bad experiences have you had with drugs? Do they ever make you sick or give you side effects? How do you feel the next day? How long does it take before you feel normal after using? Are you eating right and exercising like a good boy?
I have had a couple of panic attacks while under the influence of MDMA, I've found that prolonged methamphetamine use attacks my self esteem. Depending on the type of drug, I may not feel normal for up to 3 days after using. I exercise infrequently, and I eat fairly unhealthily.
11 How are the drugs you're using affecting your thoughts and feelings? Have you found yourself feeling suspicious, paranoid, distrustful, or anxious? Do get angry or losing your temper easily? Do you feel like you have a different perspective on reality than other people, that you know or understand things others don't?
I occasionally get suspicous and distrustful, but only for good reason, and as for feeling anxious, well I have always been a relatively anxious person. I do not lose my temper really easily, but I do not hold grudges, and tend to be good natured and fair to people. I do feel like I have a different perspective on life to many others, due to my drug use, and that I do understand things that other people do not.
To sum up, here are three bottom-line questions:
1 What are the benefits of the drugs you use? What positive things are they doing for you?
Release, creativity, insight into myself and other people. Relaxation, de-stressing myself, that sort of thing.
2 What is down side? What are the disadvantages of the drugs you use?
I am highly reliant on drugs to keep me functional and allow me to relax, to enjoy my nights out, and to keep me alert at work etc.
3 Do the benefits outweigh the disadvantages? Are you still having fun?
The benefits at this point in time (about 1 and a half years of illicit drug use) do by far outweigh the disadvantages, and certainly I have no intentions of stopping. I am definately still having fun.
------
Hope everyone else finds this one as insightful as I did.
-plaz out-

great survey bl... i don't really have much to add as my use is only of MDMA and that is only about once every 2 months or so, so i have really gotten over my drug problem phase where i was taking MDMA, amphetamines and acid almost weekly.
this is very useful and can be a wake up to some people...
CB :)

In the last year only...
Nicotine
Alcohol
Caffeine
Ephedrine
Pot
GHB
GBL
Ketamine
Ecstasy
Meth
Valium
Xanax
Shrooms
Vicodin
Nicotine Daily
Alcohol Weekly
Caffeine Daily
Ephedrine Weekly
Pot Daily
GHB Once every month, or two
GBL Once every month, or two
Ketamine Few times a year
Ecstasy Once every month, or two
Meth Once every month, or two
Valium Few times a year
Xanax Few times a year
Vicodin Few times a year
My levels have not increased. I don't play that game of trying to reach the same high by taking more and more. My drug use has decreased signifigantly from what it was a few years ago when I was doing something hard almost daily.
Nicotine $960/year
Alcohol $250/year
Caffeine $200/year
Ephedrine $60/year
Pot $600/year
GHB $75/year
GBL see above
Ketamine $60/year
Ecstasy $450/year
Meth $300/year
Valium $30/year
Xanax $24/year
Shrooms $15/year
Vicodin $20/year
Total $3044 (Holy Shite!)
Nicotine is the only drug I have difficulty not doing. I get cravings bad. I can stop doing pot without issue.
No. Not really. I okay with not being shit faced.
I won't take the number of a drug dealer who sells meth. If I have a steady source for meth I can get myself in trouble.
I won't do x more than once month, preferably I'll wait longer.
I want to stop smoking, but as yet have been able to stop.
I want to smoke pot less.
Not really. I've been using awhile so nothing much has changed. I do some drug activites and hang out with some drug users. But, just as many of my friends don't use. There is no issue here.
No, not really. Work is fine. My bf would like it if I didn't smoke pot as often, but it's tolerable for him. Use meth daily was a big problem.
Smoking is not good. That's about it. Yes, the come down from meth, and even x is not always pretty, but I manage well enough. I eat well and exercise.
Wrestle with paranoia sometimes after using pot, or meth. My anger has been quite and unheard from for many months.

this is a great thread, i hope there will be more responses. here's me in a nutshell for last year:
caffeine - daily - $900
alchohol - biweekly - $500
marijuana - biweekly - $500
nicotine - monthly - $75
mdma/mda - bimonthly - $200
cocaine - bimonthly - $400
shrooms - yearly - $20
ghb - yearly - $10
total: $2605
looking closely at my patterns this way, it seems i am a binger. i will have a few beers/wine/blunts a couple times a month, but nothing too crazy. then, every month or two i will add in some mdma or cocaine and some nicotine and have a wild weekend. it its during these weekends where it becomes difficult for me to stop once ive started.
as far as health concerns (both physical and mental), i usually eat and exercise well, but in the days following a crazy weekend i usually feel like crap, and my good habits falter. here's where the negative thoughts and lack of motivation/confidence come in.
to sum up, i will always love having a good time, but im going to try to space things out a little more, so that i have more time and money to do other things.