• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Tackling depression with ketamine

A google search of "ketamine" in the past two days (since the study was published) shows that this is being reported on quite a scale.

http://www.google.com/#q=ketamine&h...KengfRvcjLBw&start=40&sa=N&fp=125c02db95f5704

The actual study:

mTOR-Dependent Synapse Formation Underlies the Rapid Antidepressant Effects of NMDA Antagonists
Nanxin Li, Boyoung Lee, Rong-Jian Liu, Mounira Banasr, Jason M. Dwyer, Masaaki Iwata, Xiao-Yuan Li, George Aghajanian, Ronald S. Duman*
The rapid antidepressant response after ketamine administration in treatment-resistant depressed patients suggests a possible new approach for treating mood disorders compared to the weeks or months required for standard medications. However, the mechanisms underlying this action of ketamine [a glutamate N-methyl-D-aspartic acid (NMDA) receptor antagonist] have not been identified. We observed that ketamine rapidly activated the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathway, leading to increased synaptic signaling proteins and increased number and function of new spine synapses in the prefrontal cortex of rats. Moreover, blockade of mTOR signaling completely blocked ketamine induction of synaptogenesis and behavioral responses in models of depression. Our results demonstrate that these effects of ketamine are opposite to the synaptic deficits that result from exposure to stress and could contribute to the fast antidepressant actions of ketamine.

Last edited:
Our results demonstrate that these effects of ketamine are opposite to the synaptic deficits that result from exposure to stress and could contribute to the fast antidepressant actions of ketamine.

Does that make Ketamine an anti-stress drug? :)

Does that make Ketamine an anti-stress drug? :)

One theory of depressive illness is that chronic stress causes atrophy in the hippocampus, with the degree of tissue loss proportional to the length of one's depression. So, if this theory is accurate, then any anti-depressant must be anti-stress to some degree.

Whether it relives acute stress, though, I don't know. :)

Perhaps we will some day have the option of getting a ketamine prescription, or at least be able to visit a ketamine clinic to ease our depression.

Hopefully the "magical" properties won't be turned down in favor of some analog without any discernible psychoactive properties. One of the benefits of having a successful dissociative experience is the sense of having worked through psychological issues. Regular antidepressants don't have that property at all, and it would be a shame if some ketalike lacked those effects. Researchers sometimes have an annoying habit of feeling certain they know all about why a drug works. When a new chemical is invented to fit their notions, and it is found to be reasonably safe, they prematurely pat themselves on their backs for a job well done and market the chemical.

In light of all this, I just dosed a small amount of DXM to ease my own depression. I hope it works.

^That's an ignorant statement.

I'm doing it to get away from the "poor me" mentality long enough to see things in proper perspective. It's about subduing negative emotions rather than wallowing in them. It's not about escaping, it's about seeing why things affect me the way they do. It's about programming myself to react differently. I do not go in with ignorance, I go in knowing how the drug will affect me, and that it might not necessarily be fun. It's the best tool I have currently.

Perhaps we will some day have the option of getting a ketamine prescription, or at least be able to visit a ketamine clinic to ease our depression.

Yes we may. (Insh'allah.)

I think this is great news. As of now, something like this would be technically legal, though probably not smiled upon. All a doctor would need to do is take referrals from psychologists and psychiatrists for people with recalcitrant depression, run a physical and mental exam on them to confirm and document their severe depression, and then counsel them in detail on the risks and overall what to expect from ketamine. Then have the patient sign a waiver, pay cash, and step into a side room with soothing design, a comfortable recliner, and an IV pole, where a nurse (read: chaperone) administers the drug while the doc sits next to the patient and says encouraging things. Any doc peddling k therapy would be well advised to keep a very good lawyer with experience dealing with the DEA on speed dial, and to really never break the law at all. I practically guarantee once the word got out from 90% of those treated, that the general public's response to it would be positive, but until then it'd be noble bravery.

I am happy to see this. I recently consumed ketamine for the first time in several years. Those several years have been harder than I thought they would be. The day after I take K, everytime... I am reading/writing poetry... Crying my eyes out over beautiful verses or songs. Reaching out to people I currently or once loved.

I would be so happy to see all the terrible twitchy brain melting SSRI's get pushed aside and a mess of ketamine and ketamine analogue medications start getting proper testing.

What I have read and felt from MXE personally is wonderful. Same situation, amazing amounts of empathy and love, creating art, anti-anxiety, having wonderful conversations (I also feel that ketamine greatly improves my ability to put sentences together poignantly. I have always smoked a lot of pot so I am often a bit of a "ummm and uuuuh" type speaker.)

hopefully methoxetamine will get looked into the same way as this

Maybe, but don't count on it. Ketamine is already rigorously studies and approved for use in humans, methoxetamine not. Plus it is a banned drug in some countries. Look for more selective, less abuse friendly things, like glyx 13.

I wonder if they could make an implant which released a steady stream of low dose ketamine to counteract depression?

It's good to see these things being investigated at least.

I find it very interesting since ketamine has always been very popular for using at an afterparty when coming down off MDMA and other stimulants. Interesting to think that people aren't just continuing to get fucked up but are possibly subconsciously counteracting the depression from the MDMA comedown with ketamine.

I wonder if they could make an implant which released a steady stream of low dose ketamine to counteract depression?

I like that idea! Similar to an insulin pump under the skin maybe. Either way that's a brilliant idea. :D

everytime i have done k and mxe i have got really happy its almost instant to i also have bipolar and strong anxiety, the feeling for me is like how you feel after a traditional psychedelic experience very content and excited about somthing that happended but different still because its the actual initial effects of the drug (k or mxe) and nothing has really happended for me to be that excited and giddy its like almost straight afterglow and contentedness without having to go through anything uncomfortable also acts pretty fast i dont have to look for the anti depressant effects they just come automatically. there very interesting for sure i think alot of people could benefit off ketamine and mxe if they use them correctly and dont get to carried away.

also i felt great for 4-6 days after each usage felt very optimistic everytime (ketamine 100mg, mxe 20-40mg) also noticed i slept better they kinda interupted my slight insomnia for a couple nights after each usage.

As someone who has both neuropathic pain as well as bipolar disorder i really wish that Canadian doctors would realize that Ketamine can be used for more then a anesthetic. I have only used K a handful of times as it is pretty hard to get here much less decent stuff but the few times i have used it i got great results from it.

Given the fact that most anti-depressants currently on the market are not only ineffective in treating bipolar depression but are contradicted due to the very real risk of inducing mania Ketamine would be a very valuable drug in treating this disorder.

I think ketamine and MXE would be really really bad drugs to treat bipolar disorder. Yes, I know first hand how effective they are in treating depression. They are absolutely without parallel. They are also great at triggering psychosis and borderline personality disorder, even in people without a history of mental illness. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like ketamine would me way more likely to cause mania than traditional anti-depressants.

This is so true. I fucking love doing ketamine. Wake up and take a morning bump I'm in a perfect mood all day. Never feel sad but I find it also keeps my manic side in line too, I have less of a tendency to snap and go on a rage or do stupid things. Problem is, I usually blow thru a few grams a week when I have it LOL, and thats with PURE ketamine (45mg bump I'm wasted, 2 of those I can't get up)