• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Tackling depression with ketamine

Still a good step forward in awareness. Help fight some of the stigma

Isn't Ketamine also used in animals?

Its also used in pediatric departments of many u.s. hospitals for sedation and analgesia.
The sad part of that is they use a portion of the vial for a procedure and then throw the rest away....such a waste.

I don't think ketamine will be prescribed for depression. It will likely be administered after a psychiatric crisis (i.e. suicide attempt) in ER/psychiatric hospital settings. I think that would be a more approachable protocol.
Agreed. It also seems like something that would only be chosen for treatment resistent depression.
Doesn't seem like something they would go to before trying anything else.

Its also used in pediatric departments of many u.s. hospitals for sedation and analgesia.
The sad part of that is they use a portion of the vial for a procedure and then throw the rest away....such a waste.

This is true of any n every medication used by syringe in ER dept. They use your dose(s) and waste what's left because they can't keep an open vial.

So stupid.

Agreed. It also seems like something that would only be chosen for treatment resistent depression.
Doesn't seem like something they would go to before trying anything else.

Which is a bad idea, unfortunately. SSRI's can have long-lasting side effects, and in some people, increase suicidal ideation/depression. First-line treatments can be damaging.

Isn’t ketamine damaging to the kidneys? So long term use would really be viable as a treatment for depression.

This is true of any n every medication used by syringe in ER dept. They use your dose(s) and waste what's left because they can't keep an open vial.

So stupid.

It's a hospital, not a trap house. The sterility standards for intravenous administration are obviously going to be higher than what most people who inject drugs would be okay with.

It's a hospital, not a trap house. The sterility standards for intravenous administration are obviously going to be higher than what most people who inject drugs would be okay with.

Not only that, I imagine it won't incredibly tempting for some employees to dip into these partially used and difficult to track vials

Isn’t ketamine damaging to the kidneys? So long term use would really be viable as a treatment for depression.

Ketamine has long lasting benefits (one dose can alleviate depression for days, perhaps weeks and allegedly months).

You have to take it regularly for a long time to do bladder/organ damage.

Indeed.

Every time a needle goes into a vial you may/may not be introducing bacteria, viruses etc

Agreed but it seems wasteful.

Not only that, I imagine it won't incredibly tempting for some employees to dip into these partially used and difficult to track vials

Right and when I did observe it being done a couple of times (the disposal ), two nurses or one nurse and a chaperone nurse had to be present and both sign off on the disposal of the drug . Name amount time etc all documented.

It always struck me as odd too, why aren't they in single doses?

It always struck me as odd too, why aren't they in single doses?

That's what I mean by "it's stupid".I guess for example morphine. If a patient sprained their ankle n the ER DOC is kind and allows a 2mg dose while they wait on xrays to see if the ankle is broken.
Ok they learn its not broken....so the doc does not allow more doses of morphine n releases the patient w scrip for tramadol (again if he's even THAT generous ).
The patients bill reflects $350 in drugs provided in the ER. While all HE got was a 2 mg shot of morphine you must assume it was a 25mg vial to cost so highly and all that remaining drug was dumped down the goddam drain at St Whatever's hospital. It's sad

Agreed but it seems wasteful.

It would be highly impractical to have a wide range of different quantities in each vial.

It's not a big deal.

Some of the nurses/doctors may pocket half empty vials, take them home, dehydrate the liquid and do lines of it...if that helps you sleep better at night lol =D

Honestly that's very likely. Ketamine is a very addictive drug to the people who have a large propensity for it, and even if the healthcare workers aren't using it themselves they could very likely resell it.

Understood. I guess I never considered the potential for contamination. Derrrrr

Especially in a hospital which is notorious for MRSA, and the fact that there's always sick people around.

That's what I mean by "it's stupid".I guess for example morphine. If a patient sprained their ankle n the ER DOC is kind and allows a 2mg dose while they wait on xrays to see if the ankle is broken.
Ok they learn its not broken....so the doc does not allow more doses of morphine n releases the patient w scrip for tramadol (again if he's even THAT generous ).
The patients bill reflects $350 in drugs provided in the ER. While all HE got was a 2 mg shot of morphine you must assume it was a 25mg vial to cost so highly and all that remaining drug was dumped down the goddam drain at St Whatever's hospital. It's sad

The relatively insane high cost of medical care in the United States is due to an indifferent neo-conservative house and senate (which have lower approval ratings than Trump, and if you have a greater historical understanding of the profuse failures of our congress over the last 80 years you'll understand why even if you personally hate Trump more than congress), individual politicians who are taking bribes, and some hospitals which love to fleece the public.

It would be highly impractical to have a wide range of different quantities in each vial.

It's not a big deal.

Some of the nurses/doctors may pocket half empty vials, take them home, dehydrate the liquid and do lines of it...if that helps you sleep better at night lol =D

Honestly that's very likely. Ketamine is a very addictive drug to the people who have a large propensity for it, and even if the healthcare workers aren't using it themselves they could very likely resell it.

This most definitely happens, I can attest to it. I used to date a nurse, shed bring me vials of morphine home. Mmm sweet morphine

The sad thing is that there aeems to be zero common sense in the health sector, patient needs are not based on that patient anymore and the emphasis is on NOT prescribing anything rather than deciding WHAT needs prescribing.

Very sad indeed.

Agreed, all the above.

And Capt yes I'm sadly aware of the politics behind health'"care"' in the USA. It's disgusting.

Actually it does make me feel better to think of the meds as Swiped more often than drizzled down the drain.