• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Tachyphalaxis

cletusSamboy

Bluelighter
How do you deal with tachyphalaxis regarding stimulants beside a break for a week or two? Few days ago I took 30mg dexedrine at lunchtime and had a strong effect with focus for 10 hours and insomnia well into the night but next day 30mg felt more like 5mg. Next day took another 30mg and it barely did anything. Not even a loss of appetite or insomnia or other side effects I usually get. Got annoyed at this so crushed and railed a 54mg ritalin which did absolutely nothing!

This phenomena is well known among crack smokers where no high is achieved after a few tokes of the pipe. Sux to get such dramatic tolerance so quickly but I guess this stops me from really abusing stims.

You might be able to pop some receptors back out again for a while using caffeine. But the system is still going to push back against that, and will likely make recovery that much harder. As you say, it's a well known phenomena. I experience it myself and time off is pretty much the only thing I find that works.

I believe some people have tried a few supps with reasonable effect - I think @G_Chem might have mentioned one he finds useful the other day in here, but my brain is like a sieve these days sorry.

Magnesium l-threonate is a good one to reduce stimulant tolerance. Nothing beats a break though at the end of the day.

-GC

Reactions: CFC
NMDA antagonists help much against stimulant tolerance (both long term and acute/tachyphylaxis). When I was prescribed methylphenidate and take it daily, tolerance would hit fast and hard, so that the starting dose of 18mg did next to nothing after a week. But with concomittant use of dextromethorphan ~50-150mg/d the concerta would remain effective for months at the same dosage. Side effects are a mildly trippy headspace which I actually loved. It is dose dependent, starting at around 100mg for me. And, obviously, stimulation respectively overstimulation when combined with too much caffeine.

Agmatine might work as well but I think it has a very poor bioavailability when taken orally.

NMDA antagonists help much against stimulant tolerance (both long term and acute/tachyphylaxis). When I was prescribed methylphenidate and take it daily, tolerance would hit fast and hard, so that the starting dose of 18mg did next to nothing after a week. But with concomittant use of dextromethorphan ~50-150mg/d the concerta would remain effective for months at the same dosage. Side effects are a mildly trippy headspace which I actually loved. It is dose dependent, starting at around 100mg for me. And, obviously, stimulation respectively overstimulation when combined with too much caffeine.

Agmatine might work as well but I think it has a very poor bioavailability when taken orally.

Magnesium is said to be a weak NMDA antagonist too!

-GC

How long before do you take the dxm? Will daily use of even moderate doses of dxm not eventually downregulate nmda receptors?

How long before do you take the dxm? Will daily use of even moderate doses of dxm not eventually downregulate nmda receptors?
I took the DXM together with the methylphenidate. There will probably be tolerance eventually but the evidence whether NMDArs do downregulate is conflicting, some say yes, some no. I was able to use dissociatives sporadically (some times a week ) for many months if not years until I began to use 24/7 and built tolerance.

Last edited:
Just please make sure not to take DXM along with any stimulants that release serotonin (like meth or especially MDMA). Serotonin syndrome can result which can be fatal. With methylphenidate/ritalin, it's just dopamine and norepinephrine so it's saf(er). Cocaine and DXM is also very dangerous.

I would use memantine instead of DXM, if possible. It doesn't have the dangerous drug interactions that DXM does. I also find it more pleasant than DXM, personally, but some people love DXM... I do not.

Reactions: CFC
Just please make sure not to take DXM along with any stimulants that release serotonin (like meth or especially MDMA). Serotonin syndrome can result which can be fatal. With methylphenidate/ritalin, it's just dopamine and norepinephrine so it's saf(er). Cocaine and DXM is also very dangerous.

I would use memantine instead of DXM, if possible. It doesn't have the dangerous drug interactions that DXM does. I also find it more pleasant than DXM, personally, but some people love DXM... I do not.
I used about 50mg meth about 48 hours ago. It feels all have worn off and I've now taken 135mg of dxm? Should be safe 48 after hours dosing and no stimulant effect noticeable?