• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

T O W N I E S

That shit happens here at least once a month, often more. A nearby area here supposedly has one of the top 3 murder rates by handgun in the country (in Arkansas!). Lots of crack business and such.

If you think your college town has crappy townies, I suggest watching the HBO documentary "Bangin' in The Rock", about the gangs that run the crack trade in Little Rock, Arkansas. Its a pretty good picture of what goes on. You probably don't thnk of AR as being high on the list when it comes to shit like that, but it is. People get gunned down/held up for their cars/raped/mugged by crackheads on Asher Ave so frequently that they have renamed sections of it, basically to confuse people from other towns so they don't avoid it and hurt business. Nothing like LA ghettos or anything... but pretty bad for the redneck south.

edit: i kant spel gewd

Last edited:
I go to school in Boston. At least that's how they advertise it. Its really technically in Roxbury, which had the worst homicide rate in the country about a decade or two ago. Its a ghetto, and we're in/on the border of it.

Last year we had three non-student guys enter some student's apartment and shoot him. We have muggings and kids get jumped ALL the time if they walk down the wrong street off of campus. Hell, even the RIGHT street.

I dunno if they count as townies tho.

I go to school at University of Illinois, which is located on the border of Champaign (extreme ghetto) and Urbana (extreme hicks). Lucky for me, our campus is beautiful and "trash free" but the moment you set foot outside...

You don't happen to go to NIU do you?
Exactly what I was thinking. Do all schools call the Greek area Greek Row or is it just NIU?

we call it greek row cuz theres one street that has about 15 greek organizations on it. the nearby streets have a few as well. i mean yah theres some scattered around the town here and there but the biggest ones are all pretty much on the same street.

ive been to many other schools, and they all have this similar gathering of frats and sorostibrothels - and dub it "greek row." i thought that was a pretty universal thing.

yeah so now i got this job at a fast food pizza place. now i get 10x the amount of townies. cant even fucking understand them, seriously this is what they talk like, "

" ahm warnt eh peetseh. mehm meehk eet tuu peetserhs. ahm warrrrnt uuhn weeht peerperrerrrni, ahun uuhn weeeht sausseehge. ahm awlso warnt uuhn farmly saaze ohv beerd steeks, ahuhn ehxtreeh sauuuse [HEAVY accent on all the 'u's]."

damn i gotta go through with that like 55,000 times a day now. i just pray that they have teeth when they come up to order.

There is no reason in the world for anyone to turn streets into waste sites. People are better than that. And whether or not 'townies' rebuke against the destruction of their hometowns , I would rather be a redneck than a drunken college kid.

Id be much more concerned with maintaining a peaceful and clean city than making a few extra dollars off some kids and a school. There are parts of the USA that resemble third world countries, believe it or not they WOULD indeed be able to survive without the kids.

Like I said, theres no reason to be messy and loud. If you take yourselves seriously, why party? Its school.

Haha. I live in a redneck area too. I can't go anywhere without hearing "Whut 'ta HAYLE's 'at o'va tar?!" and similar things. It gets old so fast.

Like I said, theres no reason to be messy and loud. If you take yourselves seriously, why party? Its school

stfu townie

me to a friend: ill pay you 1$ to puke on his porch

friend: make it 3$ and im game

happybunny- do you have a learning disability? Honestly, because if you do I won't go to hard on you.

We are not talking about a nice town that some stupid drunk college kid's fuck up. We are talking about little crappy towns that are there solely because those stupid drunk college kids are there. Without the kid's they are complaining about, they wouldn't have a town or a job.

I find myself in disagreement with that. Not all towns are solely dependent on a school for a source of income. Escpecielly rednecks, how much money do they actually need to survive in a trailor? They don't have rent and they probably get water from a river. And food is cheap when there are squirrels around. They're living wage, in its totality, is very low and I am assuming that they are completely self-suffecient.

I just don't like this attitude about oh Im a college kid I am so much better than anyone else. As long as people realize that they aren't as high and mighty as they seem, I'll stop disagreeing. The point though, is that people can't do anything they want because they think that the others are dependent on them.

Just because Im the only young person at my work, and in essence I am *needed* doesn't mean that Im going to go break things all over the place. Or just because we need oil from iraq doesn't mean they can do anything they want to us.

Is is that difficult to co-exhist?? The 'townies' do have a point, and it could have been said more eloquently, but regardless, they do have a point. If you were destroying another town, where the people spoke more eloquently would you have the same attitude?

I can't possibly fathom why my opinion (good ethics) would imply that I have a learning disorder. But hey. its a better than correcting my grammar at least.

^ just curious.. But did you go to college? Not trying to be rude here... just wondering

No disrespect meant to anyone in particular, but someone who chooses to remain ignorant deserves disrespect.

I've luckily never had to deal with the sort of situations listed in this post, but it seems like the towns built up around these schools have a pretty solid thread of anti-intellectualism, which then breeds retaliatory measures from the side of the students (a la THE WOOD's post a couple of replies back).

One doesn't need to have a degree to have any worth. One doesn't even necessarily need to be educated. But if one is a country-fried rube who has never attempted to see the world outside of their dirt farm, then it's kind of hard for someone who has put a little effort into their world-view, opinions, and knowledge to have any respect for their point of view. Especially when they're discriminating against said person because they are reminded of the fact that there is a huge world outside of their dirt farm, that they will likely never see.

And my apologies for bringing politics into this post, but happybunny: is "just because you need oil from Iraq" a justfifiable reason for you to do whatever you want to them? Try to practice your pluralism, it's a little one-sided.

actually this thread was pointing out how dumb it is to move in next to a volcano and then bitch constantly about how your flower garden gets covered in lava all the time.

One doesn't even necessarily need to be educated.

I beg to differ.

I go to school in North Philadelphia and all the "townies" think that the college students are good for here are stealing their wallets, books, laptops, bookbags and whatever else they can snatch and grab.

But honestly, I'm happy here. I'd rather watch my back all the time than have to deal with rednecks trying to get my in trouble all the time. we have cops all around here just because we're in a rough area, but they won't give you a hard time unless you're being belligerent. they have too many rapes and murders to take care of, quite literally.

THE WOOD- In general I would agree with you, but there are the occaisional exceptions which (IMO) prevent me from saying that "100% of the time someone needs to have completed at least X years of education before they are worthy of respect".

... how dumb it is to move in next to a volcano and then bitch constantly about how your flower garden gets covered in lava all the time.

Well put.

Wild1Xu said:
^ just curious.. But did you go to college? Not trying to be rude here... just wondering

I am typing this at college. I may be a freshmen, but I am a univesity student nonetheless.

I try to live my life in a way that doesn't interfere with the lives of others around me, or the others within the vicinity. This has not been a challenge to me thus far. I don't drink, nor am I rowdy. Suprise! I still have fun.