View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Synthesis byproducts

cj187

Bluelighter
It seems that everybody considers the impurities in research chemicals to be completely harmless, but are they really? I never thought about it until recently, but it's a little odd that in the 5 years I've been browsing Bluelight I haven't once seen somebody question the safety of ingesting random synthesis byproducts. I recently got some MET that has a nasty chlorine-like smell. Are there any chemists here who know what that could be? When I buy a research chemical that's 97% pure, what exactly is the other 3%?

^^^I agree it?s pissed me off how little people seem to care about the purity of RC?s, so long as it makes you feel something then it must be legit..

When 5-MAPB was around I bought two batches, both from very reputable dealers (whatever the fuck that means).. Both tested nearly the same on reagents but one was a pure white shiny powder, the other a beige powder with an odd smell similar to vanilla/cherry.

The first white batch was active at 30-100mg and was an amazing substance. The other shit needed 300-400mg and never got close to the better batch in quality of effects.

People tried telling me up and down that the purity couldn?t possibly vary that much, it was all set and setting, blah blah.

Eventually the impure powder was left to the side for years and one day purified. When re-weighed after sitting, it had lost almost half its weight from evaporation of all the volatile precursors used. Further purification yielded an off white powder with similar properties to the first batch.

Estimated percentage purity after clean up.. MAYBE 10%! This was a vendor everybody swore was legit, perfect SoS rating, and they had garbage product.

I?ll repeat, so long as it feels like they ingested a drug, most could give a shit.

As far as psychedelics.. I?ve noticed, as have others, that darker/tanner 4-AcO-DMT is more potent as well as less happy-go-lucky compared to pure white product. This seems to be a commonality amongst tryptamines from what I?ve seen, degraded DMT and aged Mushrooms seem to have the same problem.

While some seem to enjoy the increase in potency, I myself prefer a less chaotic experience.

-GC

I've mentioned it in threads. Not even only synth byproducts but toxic metals from catalysts or reagents used was what worried me more than anything.

Truly sad the damage that millions are doing to themselves without even knowing all because of prohibition.

It's a a matter of time until the RC scene has a modern day recurrence of "the frozen addicts" type of situation

I admit I wondered why this topic doesn't have it's own thread yet, but it is an excellent question. I had tried only a few RC's, mostly some tryptamines and 2C's. And anything I had was from pre 2004. So I am out of the loop on the current quality of RC's. But I read posts here that have me scratching my head on the bravery of what people digest. I am sure there are some reputable vendors, but even they can make mistakes. Too many times I read "my vendor accidentally sent...."

I think the people that have their stuff tested are the wisest but I bet that would cost a good bit of money to test each and every batch. One post here talked of a byproduct of 3-MEO-PCP with possible cyanide like impurities. And people were posting they just took more because it didn't compare the their last batch. Yet it could be poisonous. ??

As I get older I have to pick wider things to trip on when I have time. I would take any RC given to me but won't go out of my way to buy any. But these days I usually stick to natural things like shrooms or cactus. And LSD if it is from someone I know and trust. But yeah, I have to pick my battles wiser as time goes by.

This is an interesting question indeed. Also, is there something the average user can do to improve purity? Like a wash or something?

Synthesis byproducts and "cuts" are an inherent risk of using unregulated drugs. Illegal as well as more grey-area type such as research chemicals. Potentially they can contain all sorts of nasty stuff such as heavy metals, carcinogenic impurities etc. There is no quality control, so we have no way of knowing. Another thing is that you need to know what you are looking for. You may have an HPLC purity of 98%, but that doesnt necessarily mean that the compound is actually 98% of the right stuff. The HPLC method used may not detect related impurities and it tells you very little about residual solvents, metallic impurities and inorganic impurities. The typical NMR experiment is not very accurate for measuring purity either. Alternatively one could do an assay of the compound against a certified reference standard, but I think the amount of vendors doing this is very low.
We must ask ourselves, what is the consequences for having no quality control? Very little, unless you have some immediately toxic impurity and people are dying like flies. The consumers buy the products anyway. And since they are produced by the tonne in some sketchy Chinese lab, proper quality control would presumably make the compounds several times more expensive. Furthermore, for most of the research chemicals around, we have no idea of the toxicology of the compound itself. They may be toxic as hell in the long term. Even when totally pure.
On the flip side a lot of the research chemicals are highly potent. And as for unwanted impurities, this is a good thing, since the impurities will also be ingested in much lower amounts than if you go through, say, a gram of powder in one sitting.

@Donvliet - All depends on the substance in question we want to purify. But most can be cleaned up doing a standard A/B purification.

I?ve been curious, is more complicated extraction techniques allowed on this site? So long as it isn?t technically synthesis talk? If yes, that could open up a lot of discussion.

-GC

Doing a couple of recrystallizations would not hurt.

Also you can buy a mel temp on ebay for like 40$ and get a very good idea of the purity of the compound by the size of the melting point range.

But you can do a melting point analysis to get an idea of putity.
You need the glass tubes for the mel temp
Grind compound very very fine.
A small amount into the glass capilary
Slowly turn the heat up and watch through the view finder.
The melting point range starts as soon as you see the very first sign of melting crystal until you have a liquid. Note the start temp abd the end temp.
You want the range to be 1-2degrees.
Pure compounds have a melting point range of just degrees The more impure the longer it takes to melt and the wider the temperature range

Thats not exclusive to Rc's, MDMA often has mercury and arsenic as impurities, opium sometimes has lead, lets not begin talking about cocaine and methamphetamine, all illegal drug use, concering drugs that were not made in a professional laboratory like opiates, carry the risk of toxic impurities, but the truth of the matter after extensive search is that for example the mercury thar can be found in MDMA is extremely unlikely to be harmful with moderate use.

@Donvliet - All depends on the substance in question we want to purify. But most can be cleaned up doing a standard A/B purification.

I?ve been curious, is more complicated extraction techniques allowed on this site? So long as it isn?t technically synthesis talk? If yes, that could open up a lot of discussion.

-GC

Extraction techniques are allowed, particularly in the case of purification, as that is the very essence of harm reduction. Synthesis of new substances is not allowed though.