• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Switching to Lyrica, have some questions

xyz_andrew

Greenlighter
This is my first time posting here and really on this site. To give you some background I was prescribed Gabapentin but needed to stop taking it as it gave me terrible stomach problems. At one point I was taking 2400 mg/day. I last took Gabapentin in January and built up tolerance to it, thus the need to take more of the dose.

I was switched to Xanax but it doesn't produce the same result, and I need something like Gabapentin for my social anxiety as it worked very well. My doctor warned of the weight gain that can come with Lyrica and I'm worried about that because I just worked my butt off to lose some weight.

I'm also wondering about my tolerance from the Gabapentin, will that have any effect when I start taking the Lyrica? To start, I was prescribed 50mg 3x/day.

Lyrica is pregabs right? I'm not an expert in this field but I think that there is cross tolerance with gabapentin.
Going from 2400mg gaba to 150mg pregab seems silly and possibly dangerous? Silly doctor imo.

Yes Lyrica is pregabalin. I last took gabapentin in January of this year, I'm not currently on gabapentin, I'm switching from Xanax.

Yes Lyrica is pregabalin. I last took gabapentin in January of this year, I'm not currently on gabapentin, I'm switching from Xanax.
Ah sorry I misunderstood.
I don't know about the weight gain.
As for tolerance to the gabas, it will have dropped since January, probably not to zero, but quite a bit I would imagine.
How much Xanax are you on?

I’m on 1mg extended release per day of the Xanax.

How long does it pregabalin take to kick in after the first dose? Does it work like Xanax and it’s right away, or like your typically SSRI that takes weeks to see the effect.

I’m on 1mg extended release per day of the Xanax.

How long does it pregabalin take to kick in after the first dose? Does it work like Xanax and it’s right away, or like your typically SSRI that takes weeks to see the effect.

Nah, it kicks in pretty quick... Within a few hours in my experience.

Even faster if you snort it - but it wouldn't be very harm reduction-y for me to recommend that 😂 gives you nosebleeds too.
Taking it orally works fast enough. If you need a quicker onset you can take it sublingually. But I'm sure orally will work just fine for you 👍

Ok thanks, my doctor wasn’t clear about this so I’ll ask it here: is Pregabalin a drug I should only take as-needed or is it meant to be taken at a regular schedule each day?

Ok thanks, my doctor wasn’t clear about this so I’ll ask it here: is Pregabalin a drug I should only take as-needed or is it meant to be taken at a regular schedule each day?
I'm not a doctor and have never been prescribed them but what I've witnessed from my friends who get big boxes once a month you just take them as and when needed...
Unless you are taking them for pain management - if so then it's normally a schedule.

Hi Andrew,

I am currently on 225 mgs of Lyrica daily (75 mgs x3 a day), by prescription as part of a pain management strategy for roughly 1.5 years, and so far it has worked out well. The other medication I am on is 20mgs of oxycodone daily (5mgs of Percocet x4 daily). I am able to take low doses of both and they work synergistically that I have not had any dosage changes or increases in the past 18 months or so. The interesting thing is that at these I have only built a small amount of tolerance to both.......so my wisdom to you is that sometimes less is more.

Now I'm not saying 50mgs X3 a day is the right dose of Lyrica for you (judging by your prior gabapentin dosage), but I could see for example 100mgs x3 a day working out OK for you. Tbh, from what I've seen, daily dosages greater than 450 mgs of Lyrica daily seem to have negative consequences in terms of tolerance building and bad withdraw......so if you can keep your dose at 450mgs or lower, then I think Lyrica might be worth an honest try. Again, I really think it would be worth talking to your doctor about trying 300mgs daily. Just my two cents.

well i am on sublocade/1mg,klonopin & 1800mg of gabapentin--------i would assume i would need atleast 600-800-mg of lyrica something around there

well i am on sublocade/1mg,klonopin & 1800mg of gabapentin--------i would assume i would need atleast 600-800-mg of lyrica something around there
from trial and error sorry i have actually done this.