• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids switching from codeine to oxy

TheQueenG

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, this is my first post, so please be gentle.
All of my medications are prescribed for me.

I'm switching from taking 60mg of codeine six times a day, to oxy 10mg extended release twice a day with up to two doses of 60mg of codeine a day if I need it as a top up.
I have domperidone as an antiemetic if I start to feel nauseous.

I also take gabapentin three times a day, 10000uis of vitamin D, multivitamins, iron, calcium and vitamin K supplements, depakote, clonazepam and melatonin at night and Ritalin in the morning. I also have oxygen for my cluster headaches as needed daily. Yes, I rattle if you shake me.

What is the best way to transition from codeine to the oxy with as few side effects as possible?

Thanks in advance! :)

There really shouldn't be anything to this. Just choose the times each day when you plan on dosing the extended release morphine and try to stick to them. Use the codeine as needed, as your script allows.

What were you concerned about happened during the transition?

As I'm cutting down from six doses of 60mg a day to probably two doses, I don't want to have any withdrawal.

I'm starting a new job in two weeks and need to be prepared.

2 weeks sounds like plenty of time to work out any kinks before starting work. A bit more Gabapentin along with your Clonazepam should take the edge off and the Ritalin should give you a boost if your feeling sluggish after the possible rough couple of days while you stabilize on your new regimen. 360mg of Codeine to 20mg of Oxy might leave you feeling a little raw for a few days even with the 120mg of Codeine as a buffer, but it shouldn't be like a full blown cessation withdrawal. With all those other meds on board you shouldn't have too rough a time.

Best of Luck and leave an update if you feel like it. Welcome to BlueLight QueenG :)

Thank you ever so much, I appreciate it.

I didn't sleep very well last night/this morning. I'm 100% positive that's down to the oxy. I didn't drift off until around 5AM and that was after my clonazepam and melatonin (taken at 2), which usually knock me out within an hour.

But I must say, the pain is much better so far this morning.

The first day oxy can certainly keep you up most of the night. That's completely normal for me after not taking oxy for even a week. The next night though sleepy time is no problema what so ever.

Thank you!
Combatting nausea at the moment - thank goodness for antiemetics!

I've been topping up throughout the day with 30mg of codeine so it's not so bad.

IME 60 mg of codeine = 5 mg oxy. I think that is roughly what any opiate/opioid conversion charts will give, as well. So the difference in strength will be negligible. If anything you should get better results with the Oxy, even if its extended release, because its just a superior drug in terms of pain relief and euphoric effects.

If I had to predict what any side effects, I would doubt there to be any negative ones. You will likely have more energy and be in a better mood from the oxy.

Thank you ever so much, I appreciate it.

I didn't sleep very well last night/this morning. I'm 100% positive that's down to the oxy. I didn't drift off until around 5AM and that was after my clonazepam and melatonin (taken at 2), which usually knock me out within an hour.

But I must say, the pain is much better so far this morning.

When I first started using instant release oxycodone, I would need to take it 2-3 hours before bed or have a lot of trouble falling asleep. You are on an extended release pill so might want to take it 4-6 hours before bed.

Thank you! I'm definitely taking it earlier tonight.

I have felt sooo much better and able to do stuff, that's for sure. Thanks!

Thats not a surprise. Codeine is basically no different than taking morphine, possibly a even a bit harsher on the body so oxy is a better drug for that reason alone. Codeine is metabolized into morphine quite quickly, and the morphine is what provides the pain relief. Morphine is not the best long term option for pain relief, because it is metabolized into 2 different chemicals(morphine-3-gluconoride & morphine-6-gluconoride), The m-3-g is known to cause none desirable side effects, especially with chronic use of morphine in which it can potentially build up to toxic levels (but this rarely happens unless doing massive amounts or in people with kidney problems).