• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Switching from buprenorphine to oxy - please help

BlueGrey1

Greenlighter
Hi, I have a question. I've been on buprenorphine - 16 mg per day (in two doses of 8 mg) for a month. I want to switch back to oxycodone, and I have a problem.

I'm wondering how to do it in a way that makes sense. I know that oxycodone won't start working for at least 48-72 hours, or maybe even longer, and I'm okay with that. I'm just wondering if, when I stop taking buprenorphine and start feeling the withdrawal symptoms, taking oxycodone at that point will alleviate the buprenorphine withdrawal, at least to feel normal? I'm not talking about the "oxy high."

I'm concerned because the receptors are blocked by buprenorphine, and until buprenorphine at least partially leaves the body, the effects won't be felt. I understand that. But will oxycodone alleviate the withdrawal from buprenorphine? Let's say I endure 36-48 hours from the last buprenorphine dose and then take oxycodone. I'm curious about this because going in the other direction might not be possible (due to the antagonistic action of buprenorphine when oxycodone is in the receptors).

Also, how does tolerance factor in? Before I set myself on these 16 mg, I was taking around 200-300 mg of oxycodone per dose. Does this tolerance decrease? Increase?

I would be very grateful for your help.

Yes the oxy can start to alleviate the withdrawal even before you will be able to feel full oxy effects,

Yes the oxy can start to alleviate the withdrawal even before you will be able to feel full oxy effects,
Oh, thanks for the response. Im now like 42h off bupe and starting to fell withdrawals. I will still be waiting. To 48h+ and than start with like 160mg oxy. What do you thing about it? Maybe tou know how the tollerance is affected in my case.

Receptor blockage isn't an exact science I have noticed. When I had a full 50mg Naltrexone tablet in my system it was supposed to block the effects for 24h to 72h but even before the 24h were over I felt the sedation from my heroin a bit, which was enough to take cravings away. I had to shoot up astronomical amounts but I did feel something. It's not safer use though because the blockage can rapidly decrease which can lead to an OD.

Receptor blockage isn't an exact science I have noticed. When I had a full 50mg Naltrexone tablet in my system it was supposed to block the effects for 24h to 72h but even before the 24h were over I felt the sedation from my heroin a bit, which was enough to take cravings away. I had to shoot up astronomical amounts but I did feel something. It's not safer use though because the blockage can rapidly decrease which can lead to an OD.
Thanks for answer. I must say i'm surprised by how long bupe works. I mean after 43h when i did my last dose, i fell not great but also im not dying. Im Just wondering when i will feel full WD. I Think im gonna wait to like 50h+ without bupe and then take 160mg oxy and see what happens. I was on bupe for a Month. 16mg a Day. Before that i used to pop like 200-300 mg per dose. Twice a Day. I will start with lower dosage. What do you Think about that? BTW i also was on naltrexone
But i had an implant. I was supposed to work 100 days. And i guess i didnt last that long. But as you say i also had to take huge amounts of dope and felt like 1/10 of a normal buzz..

Ok, so i took 160mg oxy like a half an hour ago. And i'm definitely feeling the effects.. It is pretty strong.

I waited around 47-48h from my last buprenorfine sniff (8mg). I was worried that i won't feel antything.

So in my case, after snorting 16mg buprenorphine a day for about 30 days, and then waiting 48h - 160 mg oxy is pretty strong. Before I started my bupre, 160 mg oxys were just taking the withdrawal away. If i wanted to feel, what i'm feeling right now i had to take like 320mg oxy. So i guess my tolerance has dropped?

It is really good to feel full opioid agonist again. And i find it pretty interesting that oxy's are working so strong on me rn. I thought that after huge amounts of bupe that i took i won't feel antything. And maybe in day 3-4 off bupe i will start to feel something. I guess it's different in every case..