• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

switching 2mg Clonazepam to 1mg Alprazolam

madicalhorse

Greenlighter
Ok, hello again.
I have a questions, I've been using clonazepam for the past 2 years, 2 or 4 mg for a day.

Yesterday, my Dr wont let me prescribe clonazepam, I don't know why, he said to dangerous or so. So he switched to 1mg Alprazolam called Zypraz.

Today, I took 1mg of it, it's calmed me down a bit, but it's strange, it's like a bad trip but it doesn't....

Any advice? Thank you before

Tell your doc that the Alprazolam makes you feel weird and ask if you could change to another benzo or go back to clonazepam. That's probably your best bet.

OP, I'm afraid you're going to need to be much more specific. Your inappropriate use of an ellipsis basically makes a lack of information the defining characteristic of your post. It doesn't work in your favor that your post actually requires interpretation and guesswork to even understand what you're after. Could you be a little more specific? Are you aware that what your doctor has given you is of half the potency of your Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril)?

Agreed that more info is needed here. And Keif' makes an important point about the potency differences.

But OP, another important thing to note is that Clonazepam is pretty significantly longer acting than Alprazolam. By about roughly 3x the half-life.

Alprazolam is super popular, and was one of the most prescribed meds in the US for a while, if I'm not mistaken. But in my opinion, and in the opinion of many medical professionals I've spoken to, alprazolam is more appropriate for infrequent, but intense panic attacks. It hits quick, it hits hard, it should stop most anxiety attacks in their tracks, and then the effect goes away relatively quickly, at least compared to other benzodiazepines.

Clonazepam is more appropriate for regular & consistent usage, although most doctors will advise against LONG TERM regular usage. My doctor, for example, prefers to start anxiety patients on clonazepam, while also trying different SSRI's for long term therapy. Once an effective SSRI is established, the benzo is removed, or tapered off if physical dependence is a concern. Regardless, it's much longer lasting. It's quite common to take clonazepam before bed, and still feel some effects around lunch time of the next day. Of course, tolerance comes into play like any other controlled substance.

I say all of that to give you an idea of what may be appropriate based on the type of anxiety issues you have. But ultimately, you need to speak with your doctor. If the Alprazolam is having undesirable side effects, a reasonable doctor should be willing to work with you. If he's really against clonazepam (which I find odd, since alprazolam is generally considered to be one of the more "dangerous" and abuse prone benzos), there are other benzo options available, such as diazepam, lorazepam, etc..

Again, ultimately, this will be between you and your doctor. I would stop taking the Alprazolam now if the side effects are that intense, and give your doctor's office a call today. Good luck!

It's less than half... A compromise would make 2mg chronic Clonazepam equivalent to ~3mg alprazolam, and Clonazepam has a longer duration

If you are telling it straight(although is a bit murky) the Dr. seems like he has no idea about the powerful medications he is prescribing to you

Unfortunately it happens.

Take an equivalence chart, or better yet calculator w/ duration, if it does not tick him off you may have better shot at sticking with your clono, or at least getting an equivalent dose of another benzo(although since generally they don't want to prescribe over 100mg per day, let alone 150+ of Valium and rarely 8-12mg lorazepam per day(which would still be an adjustment) you probably can't go straight to something like Valium w/ your tolerance(or shouldn't w/out a reasonable dose)

Good point Lorne. Part of what does make this difficult is the fact that, although these drugs are of the same potency in a way, Clonazepam is a longer acting Benzodiazepine, while Alprazolam is a fast-acting Benzodiazepine. So, again, Lorne makes a good point that we need to account in some way for this difference.