Mental Health Switched from Xanax to Valium

Idontwanttobeok

Greenlighter
I was switched from alprazolam (1mg) 2/day to diazepam/Valium 10mg 2/day and even taking 35mg of diazepam at once I don’t feel much of any relief . Are my other meds Prozac and Prilosec/omeprazole blocking it’s metabolism into its stronger active metabolites? Please help.

I presume that you are referring to relief from anxiety.

The profiles of different benzos can vary quite a bit. Although Diazepam is possibly the most widely prescribed benzo (it certainly is in the UK) that doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best for anxiety, by comparing equivalent doses of different benzos. Etizolam for example is said to be 6 times more effective at treating anxiety than diazepam at an equivalent dose comparison. I've not looked it up, but I suspect something similar may be happening here with the Xanax. I mean that I suspect Xanax is more effective at treating anxiety than Diazepam on an equivalent dose by dose basis.

Diazepam is probably a solid middle of the roader, in that it lasts a long time and helps with sleep as much as anxiety. It's regarded as the "gold standard" by many, but that's possibly only because that is what they have got used to after being prescribed it regularly for a long time.

I don't think anti-depressant meds block the metabolism of benzos. Not in my experience. But tbh I've never looked this up, simply because I don't believe there is any correlation. I have experienced caffeine and nicotine reducing the effectiveness and duration of benzos and this would make sense as they have opposite effects.

Last edited:
I switched from Valium to clonazepam years ago and got better anxiety relief from the clonazepam

Yeah smoking itself can decrease the effects of benzos and caffeine. Other than that, I don't know of any enzyme inhibition in your case.

They like giving klonopin these days. Not entirely sure why, but I think it has better muscle relaxant properties than the others. Valium stays in your system for a way long time, but it really only works for fiveish hours, I thought, whereas klonopin works for more like eight. Xanax is great for working fast against intense anxiety, but it doesn't last long and can cause gnarly rebound anxiety.

Benzos are great for short-term anxiety, but if you can take them as-needed then that is preferable. Otherwise, there are people of whom stay on a constant benzo dose for years or longer. They continue to work, but not as well. Other than that, SSRIs are probably better for long-term. Again, there are people who get a lot of utility from benzos, so not to knock them, they just can lose efficacy and cause a mammoth-level (is that a word?) dependence. Just noting this, not to burn it into the ground or anything.

With valium though the idea is that if you lose your meds or for some other reason can't take them for a few days, then no big sweat. This wouldn't be the case with Xanax!

Valium= rapid onset (within 15 minutes)
valium= used to treat less severe anxiety disorders, alcohol and drug withdrawal, muscle spasms, and seizures
xanax= intermediate onset (15–30 minutes)
Xanax= used to treat severe anxiety and panic disorders

xanax = rapid onset

valium = intermediate onset

IME