• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Sweetener high-fructose corn syrup tests show food addiction similar to cocaine addic

poledriver

Bluelighter
Sweetener high-fructose corn syrup tests show food addiction similar to cocaine addiction

A SUGARY syrup widely used in processed foods like biscuits can cause behavioural changes similar to the effects of cocaine, according to new research.

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), used as a sweetener and to improve the appearance of food after baking, was tested by a scientist investigating "food addiction".

The substance, which has previously been linked to rising rates of type-2 diabetes, was found to induce behavioural changes similar to the Class A drug cocaine in tests on laboratory rats.

Professor Francesco Leri, who carried out the research, said it suggested there was an addictive quality to foods that are high in sugar which could explain, at least partly, the current global obesity epidemic.

"We have evidence in laboratory animals of a shared vulnerability to develop preferences for sweet foods and for cocaine," he said.

"We are not rats, but our children do not think too much about the impact of sweets on their brain and behaviour.

"There is now convincing neurobiological and behavioural evidence indicating that addiction to food is possible."

Prof Leri, from the University of Guelph, Canada, said the food addiction hypothesis suggested people can be addicted to food just as one is addicted to drugs of abuse.

He studied the response of rats to foods containing unnaturally high concentrations of sugar, fats and taste enhancers, such as HFCS and foods like biscuits.

The research, presented overnight at the 2013 Canadian Neuroscience Meeting, argues that just as some people become addicted to cocaine after taking it and others do not, the same is true with foods like HFCS.

Those behind the food addiction hypothesis argue the simple fact that sugar-rich foods are more widely available does not explain why some people are obese and others are not.

They believe vulnerability to addiction, as in cocaine, could be an important factor.

HFCS has a greater proportion of fructose sugar than sucrose, which contains an equal amount of glucose.

Last November, a University of Oxford-led study found that countries that use large amounts of HFCS have higher rates of diabetes than those that consume little.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/li...et-foods-studied/story-fni0dgid-1226648805799

genetic preference for high fat/high sugar foods as sources of energy??? say it aint so

I don't believe in food/water/sex addiction, because these are biological processes necessary to life.

If you believe you're addicted to food, you're wrong: you actually need to eat food to survive.

I don't believe in food/water/sex addiction, because these are biological processes necessary to life.

If you believe you're addicted to food, you're wrong: you actually need to eat food to survive.

Food,water, sex in general is not really a good analogy IMO. And its not addiction as in addiction with bad w/ds. Like coke, Its more addiction in a way that you crave it to feel better and you cannot stop eating. I know that when I was out of opiates I went crazy after sweet caloric food. Made me feel better, less sleepy and it just stimulated my brain in a way that I kept wanting it. Some people are less susceptible to it I guess. I can see how it can also relate to foods with high concentration of fat. Once you start eating that and get used to it its hard to stop. Normal food or water is not like that. But foods, like drugs, that really spike certain levels of this or that in your body, I can totally see how they can make you crave it again and again once your body gets used to that high lvl of sugar and the energy/effect on your brain or high lvl of fat...

I would love to see an experiment with a powdered corn syrup or sth energetic like it some actual, perhaps a bit lower grade, coke. Cause coke is a subtle high compared to most drugs. I think lots of people wouldnt even notice much of a difference.

IME, sweets are undoubtedly habit forming.

After trying to remove any and all sugary snacks from my diet, there's always a period of about a week where I experience intense cravings for sweets. After that, all craving stops and I don't even think about them anymore. I swear I am not BSing you.

I quit butter/drastically reduced unhealthy food several days ago and there is withdrawal but not much so far. Granted I'm on meds.

Food addicts? Fucking pussies.

I love food. I'll stuff with loads of crap for a day, then very little for the next two days (max 400 calories) and it keeps me slim. ;)

Can't be good for metabolism though.

If there's food around which I can snack on without much effort, I will almost continuously snack until the foods gone. Mum once cut up a block of cheese in the fridge and it took me about 5 hours to eat it all. If there was an infinite supply of milkyways in my drawer, I would die of a heart attack in days. I suppose it's more compulsive eating than an addiction, because I couldn't care less if its not directly there in front of me

This is great news. How soon until we can start discriminating against these people in employment and housing?

On a more serious note my aunt basically ate herself to death. She was over 500 pounds for many years. Had to have several knee surgeries because the human body is not designed to be that large. Despite warnings from doctors she maintained the wait and her health and sanity slowly detoriarated over years. Maybe she was addicted to food. Maybe she just enjoyed fried chicken and didn't give a shit about death or thought it wouldn't happen to her. I don't know what drives people to over eat but I do know that some people have a very different relationship than I have to food. I just wish I was as impervious to drug addiction as I seem to be to food addiction.

Last edited:
Food addicts? Fucking pussies.

You are totally missing the point here (assuming that you are not being sarcastic).
Different people become addicted to different things.
Some to cocaine, some to sugary foods, some to gambling, some to mind games, some to certain attitudes, some to power or control...
Read some of the other posts here. One woman ate herself to death. This kind of story is exceedingly common.
It is not a contest to see who can be addicted to the most heinous chemical.
Nor is it a contest to see whose drug of choice has the worst withdrawals.
There is nothing manly or macho or strong or brave about thinking your addiction is worse than someone else's.
Some people get so addicted to food that they die over it.
Others never have any real attachment emotionally to food, but secretly wear (e.g.) women's underwear.
Each person is different.
Even down to a biochemical level, individuality is the name of the game.
Therefore, the idea of competing to have the strongest addiction is meaningless at best.
Open-minded understanding is the only way to get through this without seeing the entire thing through the lenses of our own biases.

On a more serious note my aunt basically ate herself to death. She was over 500 pounds for many years.

Was she able to stand up and walk at that weight? I'd imagine 500 Ibs = bed confinement?

Also, perhaps she was one of those unfortunate individuals in which their brains are abnormally wired into telling the rest of the body that it's always hungry?

She could walk short distances if she had too. It was pretty sad though she grew up wealthy she had all the resources to live healthy till 80 if she wanted.