• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Supernatural religious beliefs are the enemy of world peace, as shown by 5000 years of war.

Neither does religion.

The Christian bible actually does, but not the way most read it.

It actually showed me that, if read right, there is no conflict between Christianity and nature.

Nature makes us sin, and so does Yahweh, and both would sing that sin as Christians do, that sin is a happy fault and necessary to both Christianity's and nature's ideology.

Regards
DL

Catholicism.

Sinner: Forgive me father for I have sinned.

Father: Pray tell how have you sinned my child (already getting a semi under his cassock)

Sinner: I fucked a young boy up the arse.

Father: And..?

Sinner: ... and he didn't like it

Father: well, thats his fuckin fault. You are forgiven my son.

Sinner: Fuckin top man. Fancy a spit roast?

Father: Yeh, send him round later...

Really.

What is your solution to the problem of evil?

Why does your god do evil?

Regards
DL

Evil is in your mind. I'm more interested in the solution to suffering.

Tell all of us -- when did you cease to suffer?

What is your solution to human suffering, right now, in this moment? Not somewhere in the future.

On religion as the primary driver of war, it is now often thought that the French Revolution and its attendant Terror was the product of the spread of Enlightenment values in the so-called Age of Reason. The decline in French religiosity probably reduced moral constraints leading to the emergence of rationally justifiable violence.

From that point, most major wars have had a very clear logical rationalisation and greatly increased casualties thanks to the application of scientific principles to mass killing - both military and civilian/

It’s also worth remembering that the philosophy of ‘just war’ which establishes criteria for war and sets limits to when and how it may be conducted was a major concern to Catholic theologians for more than 1,000 years and that intellectual history informs every thing from the Geneva Convention to the Rules of Engagement of each modern nation.

Outside of Europe other religions have had similar concerns. And similarly had their teachings corrupted by secular leaders im the pursuit of political goals via force of arms.

Catholicism.

Sinner: Forgive me father for I have sinned.

Father: Pray tell how have you sinned my child (already getting a semi under his cassock)

Sinner: I fucked a young boy up the arse.

Father: And..?

Sinner: ... and he didn't like it

Father: well, thats his fuckin fault. You are forgiven my son.

Sinner: Fuckin top man. Fancy a spit roast?

Father: Yeh, send him round later...
Too funny. Reminds me of a cartoon or meme (whatever the fuck they're called now) from some years back (looked for it online now but cannot find it).

Essentially a picture of a church in the background and a church sign in the foreground that read:

"If tired of sin come in". And a prostitute had scribbled on the bottom of the sign "if not call Jade [telephone number]"! :ROFLMAO: (Something like that anyway).

Last edited:
Aren't humans the enemy of world peace? It's not like removing all supernatural religion would make a violent species peaceful.
We always find something to kill each other over. Gods are just one dot at that infinite list.

I'd hardly call President Putin "silent"! 🇷🇺

You walked straight into that one! 😇
Yes, cause Putin is the only war-monger we have? 😄 Putin just proves my point. He isn't crusading for a god, that man is a fucking heathen.
Alas, it makes no sense whether we have religion or not. We'd still litter the face of the planet with corpses.

There's been something liek 268 years of recorded peace in the world over the past 5000 years.

We are not a peaceful species, no matter if we have gods or not.

Just to prove how little @Gnostic Bishop knows about history when he makes these grand claims about the role of religion in history, check out this comprehensive list of deaths per war for all the known wars in human history. Yep: all of them. I think it is remarkable how many of them are NOT connected to religion at all. The Mongol Conquests killed 40,000,000 people basically for sport, honour, and tribute. Dynastic changes in China regularly had death tolls between 10-20,000,000 (only bested by Mao’s scientific Great Leap Forward which killed 50,000,000 mostly through starvation. Everyone in most of those disputes was Confucian (or Muslim but fighting in support of Confucians against other Confucians)

Sure there were many Catholic priests present when Spain killed 8,000,000 Inca’s in the 15th Century. And the Spanish monarchs were staunchly Catholic. But it’s hard to blame religion for the deaths. The same goes for many other wars of conquest started by countries dominated by a particular religion.

Just to prove how little @Gnostic Bishop knows about history when he makes these grand claims about the role of religion in history, check out this comprehensive list of deaths per war for all the known wars in human history. Yep: all of them. I think it is remarkable how many of them are NOT connected to religion at all. The Mongol Conquests killed 40,000,000 people basically for sport, honour, and tribute. Dynastic changes in China regularly had death tolls between 10-20,000,000 (only bested by Mao’s scientific Great Leap Forward which killed 50,000,000 mostly through starvation. Everyone in most of those disputes was Confucian (or Muslim but fighting in support of Confucians against other Confucians)

Sure there were many Catholic priests present when Spain killed 8,000,000 Inca’s in the 15th Century. And the Spanish monarchs were staunchly Catholic. But it’s hard to blame religion for the deaths. The same goes for many other wars of conquest started by countries dominated by a particular religion.

Very nice post.

The thing I always wonder about:

Can you imagine what the world would be like had none of this happened from a pure resource standpoint? The exponential effect on the world's population is my point. Greta Thunberg would have had an aneurysm, and be a basket case, by now! :ROFLMAO:

It'd be a very interesting calculation for somebody who is up to the job. :unsure:

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ve always thought it interesting that in Europe at least you can have a major conflict that kills a significant percentage of the population right at the age they should be hugely economically productive, wiping out much of a major factor of production, yet longitudinally economic growth and human progress generally continues unabated.

In WW1 about 10 million soldiers died. Although the British economy wasn’t a shining light and there were recessions/depressions globally in the 1920s economic growth was continual. This greatly increased productivity - less workers (cos all dead) yet producing more GDP.

The effect was even stronger in the US after WW2 when 400,000 soldiers were killed and taken out of the economy. That just led to the Golden Age of Capitalism.

But even in countries with millions of dead things boomed. In the 1950s the GDP of the Soviet Union grew faster than that of the US for many years.

Obviously there is an ongoing technology effect improving productivity but the economic numbers strongly suggest that all those young men were superfluous to their economies. And, as we know from the history of the union movement and democracy in the West, in the pre-war years their growing industrial power was significantly shifting political power downwards in social terms because industry at that time required masses of skilled labor.