• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Super cool things to do in NYC

Nice thread LuGo!

I cannot add much but if you end up in Central Park perhaps try to follow some of the birders. I saw a documentary about it which was really surprising.

(Although this may be a bad time of the year for birding)

Hope you have a good time.

Nice thread LuGo!

I cannot add much but if you end up in Central Park perhaps try to follow some of the birders. I saw a documentary about it which was really surprising.

(Although this may be a bad time of the year for birding)

Hope you have a good time.

I believe there are always interesting birds to see. It's nothing crazy but I often see blue jays and cardinals around my neighborhood.

I live right on the boarder of brooklyn and queens and we also have an owl in our neighborhood. Quite random as we only have a small park nearby. I'm sure the alley cats don't enjoy the rodent competition.

Honestly though, I quite enjoy just watching normal pigeons interact. Especially when it's mating season, they have a really funny mating dance they do.

Thank you so much for your contributions LuGoJ! This is definitely making our vacation easier to plan.

I'll be sure to check out what any birders are up to Mustapha. Hopefully no one will think we are stalking them ; )

I'll be sure to check out what any birders are up to Mustapha. Hopefully no one will think we are stalking them ; )

Ha, won't have to worry about that, these people are so zealous about birds you would have to drive a tank past them to get their attention.

Come to think of it, even though the birders would probably consider this blasphemous. Someone should show up with SmartBird during the prime birding season.

Last edited:
^^That smart bird is actually really cool and I could easily watch it all day!!

I've never heard of or seen Smartird before--thanks for posting that Mustapha! When they don't use slow motion filming and her wings are beating really fast they look a little frantic and it gave me a complete body memory of a period in my life when I had a lot of anxiety flying dreams but they always started out with huge effort and me thinking it wasn't going to work. It was all a matter of gaining enough altitude and enough momentum to glide but those first few moments were anxiety producing.;)

Heading to NYC in a couple of days. LuGoJ I appreciate all the info you've given me!!!! Thank you so much!

I've never heard of or seen Smartird before--thanks for posting that Mustapha! When they don't use slow motion filming and her wings are beating really fast they look a little frantic and it gave me a complete body memory of a period in my life when I had a lot of anxiety flying dreams but they always started out with huge effort and me thinking it wasn't going to work. It was all a matter of gaining enough altitude and enough momentum to glide but those first few moments were anxiety producing.;)

Hi herbavore,
I didn't want to upset our resident world controller so I changed my name to Sigmond. 8)

I am not sure if this is rare but I have never had a "flying dream", for some reason I usually end up in the ocean. Smartbird is an epic feat of engineering and thankfully it wasn't produced by Lockheed Martin.

Hope you have a great trip op.

Interesting website http://www.humansofnewyork.com/

Last edited:
Man, getting into the city was a nightmare. We had to go thru the Lincon Tunnel and for some reason Google Maps kept trying to avoid it. What a nightmare! I am seriously thinking about leaving my car parked until it is a time to leave.

Man, getting into the city was a nightmare. We had to go thru the Lincon Tunnel and for some reason Google Maps kept trying to avoid it. What a nightmare! I am seriously thinking about leaving my car parked until it is a time to leave.

That sucks!

If you can find lot that isn't crazy expensive that might not be a bad idea. It's pride weekend though so will be pretty busy.

That sucks!

If you can find lot that isn't crazy expensive that might not be a bad idea. It's pride weekend though so will be pretty busy.
I think the parking is associated with or subsidized by the hotel we are at. Getting ready to help celebrate the pride right now.