• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Super cool things to do in NYC

Azure Cloud

Bluelighter
Going to be in the Big Apple during the last week of June to catch a show at Madison Square Garden. I will have my 14 year old son with me. We will be staying near Time Square.

Wondering what really cool stuff we could do that I have no idea about. The less expensive the better.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Going to be in the Big Apple during the last week of June to catch a show at Madison Square Garden. I will have my 14 year old son with me. We will be staying near Time Square.

Wondering what really cool stuff we could do that I have no idea about. The less expensive the better.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Is it your first time here or are you able to get around on the subway easily? I can suggest some stuff for you but most everything within the vicinity of where you are staying is a rip off. How much time do you need to fill? A few hours? An entire day of activities?

Is it your first time here or are you able to get around on the subway easily? I can suggest some stuff for you but most everything within the vicinity of where you are staying is a rip off. How much time do you need to fill? A few hours? An entire day of activities?
Yeah our first time there. I will have access to a rental car as well.

I figure we will hit the Jersey Shore one day. We will also do some museums and explore the city for the best pizzeria and Italian deli. I am looking for any suggestions running the gamet of filling a few hours to an entire day. We will Be there for 5 days.

Yeah our first time there. I will have access to a rental car as well.

I figure we will hit the Jersey Shore one day. We will also do some museums and explore the city for the best pizzeria and Italian deli. I am looking for any suggestions running the gamet of filling a few hours to an entire day. We will Be there for 5 days.

Oh ok! I'm happy you want to be mobile! So many people come and only want to stay within a 5 block radius!

First of all, I suggest using hopstop.com for subway and walking directions.

Pizza (these are all whole pie places, if you want to order by the slice I can suggest other places)

My pick for the best pizzeria is in staten island, a place called Denino's. I will warn you ahead of time, you have to drive there.. but you can go there on your way to or back from the jersey shore as you can go through staten island and then along the water in brooklyn back into manhattan. The plain pie is amazing but my personal favorite is the MOR pie (Meatball, Onion and ricotta)

If you don't want to go to staten island, you can go to Lombardi's in downtown manhattan. It's in Soho so it's kind of pricy and a bit of a tourist trap but it is supposedly the first pizzeria ever in NYC. I would definitely check out Soho and walk around there and the village. Expensive stores but it's just nice to check out the area, tons of people this time of year.

There is also Patsy's if you want to venture up to harlem. They are wonderful.

Italian deli

Di Palo's

Museums and other things to check out

Museum of Natural history

Tenement Museum (kind of depressing but crazy to see how immigrants lived back in the early days!)

Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty (if it's nice out these are worth checking out. The ferries are in downtown manhattan )

The highline is really cool if you have time. It's a long stretch of above ground railroad tracks that was converted into a large park, beautiful views of the river and new jersey.

Museum of modern art and the whitney are good but not sure if you or your kid is into art.

Walking tours are fun to do. They have cupcake store walking tours, ice cream walking tours, historical and informative walking tours, beer walking tours (leave the kid at the hotel! lol)

Definitely check out central park during the day, I would avoid at night currently. Some teens causing problems at night.

I would also check out china town if you are into seeing absolute chaos and insanity (Oand want to get fake hand bags and other counterfeit goods). You can check out Golden Unicorn or Jin Fong's if you want to try something different and have Dim Sum served by push cart. This is usually with communal tables so you will get to mingle with the locals that may or may not speak english :)

Brooklyn

I know people will kill me for saying this but I personally hate brooklyn. I grew up around there and see what it's turned into, complete yuppyville and I don't like it personally. Don't let my personal bias stop you from going there though, williamsburg is a really trendy neighborhood right now. With very popular restaurants.

Driving

Where are you from? If you have never driven in NYC, I must tell you, it is an experience. First, you cannot make a right on red in NYC. Second, People will start honking at you before the light turns green and will generally be aggressive drivers. This is just how it is. Drivers here have zero patience. Also, don't get stuck at an intersection because of traffic and cause gridlock. That's called "blocking the box", cops can give you a ticket and you can get two points if you are blocking the box.

Last edited:
go walk the high line:

14433.jpg

it's great!

alasdair

Man I know there is a lot I have no idea about in NYC. I am wondering what bowling alley has the coolest cosmic bowling in New York City.

Man I know there is a lot I have no idea about in NYC. I am wondering what bowling alley has the coolest cosmic bowling in New York City.

Most of my favorite bowling alleys are gone but there are still some popular ones, i'm not sure about cosmic bowling though, you will have to call about that.

Bowlmor has two places I know of, one is actually in the port authority building, right near times square.

http://www.bowlmor.com/times-square/

The other is down at a place called chelsea piers, next to the hudson river. I think they even have indoor ice skating all year round. It's right near the highline too.

http://www.bowlmor.com/chelsea-piers/

Unfortunately they are a bit expensive though. There isn't really such a thing as cheap bowling in NYC anymore, as far as I know.

I forgot to mention there is also the Intrepid museum, which could be fun for the kid. It's an old air craft carrier with jets and everything. I'm not sure how much you guys like to walk, but it is possible to just walk from times square to the intrepid(20 minutes), then walk along the river through hudson park to the high line/chelsea piers. Only a few miles in total and really beautiful on a nice day. There are all sorts of interesting things to see along the way.

Here is a map, I've circled Times square, The Intrepid and The Highline/chelsea piers. That should be a day full of activities for not too much $$.

f2yspRq.jpg

The Intrepid

USS-Crossword1.jpg

Here are some pictures of hudson river park, it's 4.5 miles long in it's entirety.

hudsonriverpark_900x600_3.ashx

content_HudsonRiverPark-Tribeca.jpg

HRP_SunbatheBODY.jpg

If you want to bike it, there is a separate bike lane that goes along the river.

hudson_river_park_12june04.jpg

Let me know if there is anything else you want to see or food you want to try :)

Last edited:
^ Good on you for posting all that information. I'm sure it will really help :)

Thank you so much LuGoj, you've really gone above and beyond with the info. You really have been a huge help!

^ lol. any massive city with 10 million people can easily be summed up in two words.

lolfail.

alasdair

LuGoJ, your list is so great that I copied the link to this thread and sent it to my son who is on a round-the-country road trip (that started over a year ago!) and is due in NYC soon. They have a friend to stay with, and I'm not sure where she lives, but they will try to leave the camper van somewhere outside the city and use mass transit once they are there for a few days. I haven't been to NYC in over 20 years but your list made me want to go back. Azure, I hope you and your son have a fantastic time.:)

For a first trip the New York CityPass is good, if you'll do all the attractions in the booklet. It's 6 places for about $120 a person. Just know that the Metropolitan Museum of Art is a "pay what you want" museum so you could pay $5 each without the coupon book or whatever you wanted, so calculate that into your decision. Also the Guggenheim Museum is closed on Thursdays. For the Empire State Building don't talk to anyone in a uniform trying to up sell you. Expect a 20 minute line inside the Natural History Museum. Buy a 7 day subway pass and take it everywhere. Citymapper is an awesome app to go anywhere in NYC, it will show you the ways and how long each takes. Have a great trip!

^ thanks for the info johnny!!

I saw pictures from the observation level of the new world trade center - looks very freaking cool (floors 100-102 I think).

^ thanks for the info johnny!!

I saw pictures from the observation level of the new world trade center - looks very freaking cool (floors 100-102 I think).

The whole area down there looks really nice, worth checking out for sure. I seem to never think about it when people are visiting from out of town but I think that has more to do with me not trying to think about it all. I was very close to the towers when it happened and still have a lot of anxiety over it.

If you are going down there, the reflection pool etc is pretty nice. It's also near Battery Park(only 7 blocks or so) which is where to catch all of the ferries that go to the statue of liberty and Ellis island etc. It also just happens to be near city hall and wall street. Circled them all on the map for you.

4Z4AqG1.jpg

Plus the woolworth building is near there, one of my favorite buildings in NYC.
nyc-woolworth-bldg1.jpg

Last edited: