Mental Health Suicide Risk

Toodlepip

Bluelighter
My Psychiatrist is aware of my suicidal thoughts. I have another appointment today with her, will I be sectioned knowing I'm a suicide risk

My Psychiatrist is aware of my suicidal thoughts. I have another appointment today with her, will I be sectioned knowing I'm a suicide risk
Honestly it all depends on how concerned your psychiatrist is for your welfare. If she is genuinely concerned that you are at a very real risk of harming yourself then yes she may have you sectioned. Medical and mental health professionals have a duty of care to section patients if they believe there is a real risk of harm to themselves or others. But it doesn't really happen that often.

For interest's sake, do you think you will attempt suicide in the near future?

Are they phone appointments? Or in person ?

Normally if you tell a health professional, regardless of their specialty, that you are suicidal they tend to get concerned. Most will at least section you for a 72 hour hold to assess the degree of your intentions. Many people with mental health problems speak of suicide but it is only because they don't know how to communicate what is REALLY bothering them.

Phone interviews aren't like seeing a patient in person. Doctors can take one look at a person and tell what is going on. Especially with mental health. From your other posts I can say that your laying in bed for 2 years and not taking care of your hygiene it might not be a bad idea to willingly take a 72 hour hold as a tool to figure out why you are behaving that way. Suicide can mean the person is in a crisis and just needs some help with their feelings. People that are generally going to kill themselves never say a word. They just do it. They just end their life and most people had no idea they were even considering it. The word suicide is a cry for help and if you are lucky you will get the right Dr. to assess your situation and help you. The wrong ones will just throw more meds at you. And from your latest posts the other day it sounds as if yoour previous Dr's have thrown more than 20 meds at you and none of them are helping.

If it's a phone interview why not suggest a 72 hour hold. If nothing else they will encourage you to shower, feed you well, get you up out of the bed and many other things. Who knows....it just might be the ticket. And what's 3 days compared to the rest of your life. You are miserable now so let someone help you.

It depends on how functional you are. Lots of people present with suicidal ideations but it doesn't mean they get sectioned. Many live normal lives and are suicidal. It's not a black and white thing. Some people are severely mentally unwell and yet they are all around us and we probably wouldn't even realize without taking a deeper look. Whether it does mean people get sectioned or not is up for debate and it's pretty controversial because of how it can be both a good and a bad thing, depending on how effectively psychiatric services respond to the threat. Some people talk about suicide and slip through the net. Some people don't talk about it but they get sectioned because of the current state they are in.

Ultimately, they can't stop suicides. And in the UK, where you are from judging from your location status in your profile, NHS psychiatric services are so overwhelmed they cannot keep those that truly are a suicide risk for all that long. My friends father was sectioned for all but a weekend and if he said to them that if he was released he would kill himself and they let him go. He killed himself and his son found him the next day hanging in his home. That's just one story.

The best advice is talk to them, keep talking to them, keep them in the loop all the time and be honest and most importantly, challenge them when you feel like they may not be taken your mental health seriously. They are so busy and their resources are so finite that their duty essentially is to minimize overloading of the hospital beds and juggle who they believe at the time to need the most support. They get that wrong a lot of the time and people get hurt or even die. You need to make them aware of everything and make sure you are pushing them to do their job and acknowledge the severity of your issues. If you feel like they are not you can escalate things and at this point things are on record and so they cannot deny the interactions you have had and the support you have told them you need. Many people don't believe they have a voice and so they don't take things further but there is quite a lot you can do to hold them accountable.

One of my first told me to call her later that day to update her on how I was doing after a concerning session.

I forgot to call her and got stoned with my friend who was mentally sound. We got a knock on the door as I was hitting the bong. It was the cops.

Long story short, if she tells you to contact her, do it.