• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suddenly extremely sensitive to caffeine

George1012

Bluelighter
Good day to all. I have been a veteran caffeine consumer for years, multiple cups of coffee, energy drinks, caffeine gum and it hardly phased me. These were just nice pick-ups with flavor. Now I seem completely unable to handle any caffeine. A few short stories,

The other day I went to the local gas station like I usually used to every morning. I dispensed myself a 16oz cup of the mildest brew. After I drank it I was extremely jittery all day and anxious. I had restless leg syndrome, in my arms and legs. I chalked this up to the fact that the dispenser had just a little left, that this was the most 'concentrated' bottom of the barrel thing. Usually this gas station has weak sauce coffee so I didn't think much of it after.

Drank half a cold brew from starbucks this morning. This was much worse. Heated it in the microwave and added cream and sugar, drank it and 15 mins after finishing I became extremely lightheaded and a bit disoriented, like I was going to black out. I quickly drank a few cups of water and took some magnesium and it helped a little so I ate a bunch of food in hopes of counteracting the 'OD'. How can I once again enjoy this without these problems? Or does this happen with age?

Do you use sugar and drink your coffee on an empty stomach? I notice that I feel similar from this mocha coffee I get and sometimes makes me shaky if I don't eat. It might be a blood sugar issue. You could try having some breakfast beforehand. You could also switch to decaf to avoid the jitters.

I have always been like that with caffeine. When I was younger I could not drink coffee at all. Even decaf had too much caffeine. It would make my heart feel like it was exploding out of my chest. All the while I was smoking meth and snorting blow on the weekends. Now that I haven't done stimulants regularly for a few years I can now handle a small amount of coffee. Sometimes I suspect my past stimulant use contributed to my caffeine sensitivity. Have you been using any drugs lately that you do not normally use?

Odd that it used to effect you better but now you get jittery from it. I don't like how caffeine effects me either and if I can feel shaky from too much. Once in particular when I wasn't smoking weed I noticed it affected me a lot more profoundly, I'm not sure if the lack of smoking weed contributed to it but normally I'd be smoking daily and I was experiencing effects of withdrawal at the time.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I usually drink my coffee on an empty stomach in the morning and sometimes after dinner. This morning I had a little something before drinking that nasty cup that fucked me up. It tasted good but it was scary experience. Starbucks coffee in particular has done this to me before but not often. Sometimes I wonder why they're even allowed their drinks to have such a ridiculous caffeine content.

Come to think of it a few things might contribute. 1. I brew kava root teas. This is basically herbal Xanax. I make mine very strong. Sometimes I feel like I'm full on retarded wasted after a session. Its not made the way other teas are typically made. This tea has a weird reverse tolerance if you can get past the mucky taste. I've been drinking it for years now, every night. The worst side effects I've had are drying of skin, weight loss, some malnutrition, and increased sensitivity to other drugs but other then that we're great.

I also take a multi vitamin-mineral supplement which also contains other herbs like echinacea and turmeric, both of which have been known to drastically lower cannabis tolerance and probably caffeine tolerance. I'm more with the theory that the kava tea is just so tranquilizing that it makes anything caffeinated seem too stimulating, because I spend way more time 'under the influence' of kava then caffeine.

Sucks because I love drinking coffee

Duuuuude, George.... This just happened to me too. I had to give up coffee starting this past Saturday because it suddenly gives me panic attacks all day. I tried brewing weaker and weaker coffee with absolutely no improvement. Prior to this I could down a half gallon of delicious black mud without anything but some extra pep in the morning, which I've been doing for over a decade.

I switched to a giant watery cup of Earl Grey and that hasn't been so bad. I don't think my magnesium is low, which apparently caffeine depletes (I think), seeing as I eat a bunch of different greens, fruits and veggies everyday.

I knew I loved coffee but I never knew I would miss it this much. I have a really nice stainless steel 1.5L french press and a mid range burr grinder that I've been looking at with sad fuckin puppy dog eyes all week. I feel your pain.

You guys should try oolong tea. It still has some caffeine but doesn't punch you in the face like coffee. The effects last longer too. And its fucking delicious.

^ Yeah, try a nice cup of black, white or green tea. Much more gentle.

Or you could try adding some l-theanine to your coffee and see if it calms things down again.

I think the issue is hydration-nutrition. I slowly sipped a few cups of coffee over the last few days after eating and drinking properly and noticed no issues. The other day I had hardly eaten anything for three days and I was dehydrated. I also love black and green tea. Its a lot easier on me most of the time.

Yea I could see caffeine affecting you a lot worse on an empty stomach. I know people who can't drink coffee without eating something first for that reason.

I've had the same experience. I drank caffeine everyday for 10 years or so, no problems. Then I started doing meth, and my caffeine tolerance dropped insanely low. A sip of a Coca-Cola would make me feel like I was going to have a heart attack.

My advice:
1. If you're doing any stims recreationally, cut them out for a few days and see if it helps.
2. If you're on any stims or medications that raise your blood pressure and heart rate and you are PRESCRIBED these medications, DON'T STOP TAKING THEM. Tell your doctor, and strongly consider cutting caffeine out.

Just my advice, as someone who has been through it. Meth + Caffeine + Levothyroxine (prescribed to me, and can raise heart rate and blood pressure) = recipe for some long, sleepless nights. Best of luck!