• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sudden severe anxiety from Opana insufflation

hiphopaddict

Greenlighter
I've been Rxd Generic Opana ER for several years. I have legitimate pain issues and it's always worked pretty well for me. Which brings me to my issue:

Like most pain patients I have good days and bad. On the particularly crippling days I sometimes will snort a bit of the crushed Opana powder. I'm sure you all know this increases the bioavailability considerably and also speeds up the drug's onset.

I've never had any issues with this until about 6 months ago. I started to feel extremely anxious as I snorted a few small lines of the Opana powder. It continued to get worse (anxiety-wise) little by little, until I eventually had to stop and was out my sinuses with a NetiPot. This issue continued on for about a week and then seemed​ to clear up on it's own.

This has continued every few months for some reason. It's really weird, and almost baffling to be honest. The other night the anxiety came on so quickly (and without warning) that I had a full blown panic attack. My brain was telling my body: "You're having a heart attack!!!" I knew better by checking my pulse and having my girlfriend check it too, but it was still very troubling. I will no longer be insufflating the drug OBVIOUSLY ?, but it's just so strange to me. Why does it only happen sporadically? I've looked at my diet and that's not a factor. I have a lot of food allergies so I eat a very regimented diet. No other medications have changed. I also forgot to mention I don't use illegal drugs or drink, so that's not a factor either.

Has anyone else had issues like this? Thanks in advance & thanks to the mod who moves this b/c I really have no idea...

Consuming a large amount of oxycodone esp where it hits you hard like that vs slowly orally can cause a massive release of histamine from mast cells causing effects similar to a allergic reaction sweating pounding hot flushy feeling out of breathing like your skin is on fire.

Additionally oxycodobe supresses breathing and even a slight decrease in breathing can cause a increase in co2 which your body senses and once it sees your not getting enough air and co2 is building your mast cells are releasing histamine sending signals all over uouve been poisoned help it can relay that to your brain where it basically pulls the equivilant of a fire alarm which sends signals to the basic lower parts of your brain to release adrenaline to try to get yourself able to overcome a percieved danger

This drug contains Oxymorphone not Oxycodone. Although, I guess when you take Oxycodone, your body breaks it down into Oxymorphone and a few other metabolites.

I suppose I do understand the histamine thing, but the randomness of it is still puzzling to me. I would think it would happen almost every time I it were truly an allergic (histamine) reaction.

Yes, I think it's from too much too quickly. This did not happen to me when taken orally, only from snorting.

Yeah, I think you're getting too high, too fast. I had a bad panic attack from snorting too much opana once. Took a xanax and it sorted me out.

Yes, I think it's from too much too quickly. This did not happen to me when taken orally, only from snorting.
Thanks for the reply, it does make me feel better knowing I'm not the only person who's dealt with this. I have tried searching for this online on multiple occasions, the only things that come up when searching keywords Opana or oxymorphone + anxiety + snorting/insufflating all relate to withdrawal symptoms. There are obviously entries on WebMD and other such sites that list anxiety as a side effect of the drug but that obviously doesn't apply to non-approved Ro.

Yeah, I think you're getting too high, too fast. I had a bad panic attack from snorting too much opana once. Took a xanax and it sorted me out.
Thanks. I didn't mention this before but I actually had a few panic attacks in high school. I was prescribed Klonopin and while it worked, it was a bitch to get off of. I'd classify my anxiety today as GAD, I do take an SSRI that has worked pretty well to control it. I definitely don't want to go back on Benzos full time. I may just see if my doc will scrip me a few to help me get through the rough spots like these few "panicky-feeling" spots I have every few months. Still strange to me though that it's so random. I usually go really slow when I snort Opana b/c it's so potent.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I usually take Benedryl when I snort Opana. I usually take 5 pills an hour give or take as it potentiates it significantly. Do you think that could be a factor?

Five pills a hour lol... yes benadyrl activates the sympathetic nervous zyzgem at that dose causing extremely rapid pulse

According to wikipedia anticjolinergics have these side effects benasyrl is a significant anticholinergic at ur doses Poor coordination
Dementia[13]
Decreased mucus production in the nose and throat; consequent dry, sore throat
Dry-mouth with possible acceleration of dental caries
Stopping of sweating; consequent decreased epidermal thermal dissipation leading to warm, blotchy, or red skin
Increased body temperature
Pupil dilation; consequent sensitivity to bright light (photophobia)
Loss of accommodation (loss of focusing ability, blurred vision – cycloplegia)
Double-vision
Increased heart rate
Tendency to be easily startled
Urinary retention
Diminished bowel movement, sometimes ileus (decreases motility via the vagus nerve)
Increased intraocular pressure; dangerous for people with narrow-angle glaucoma.
Possible effects in the central nervous system resemble those associated with delirium, and may include:

Confusion
Disorientation
Agitation
Euphoria or dysphoria
Respiratory depression
Memory problems[14]
Inability to concentrate
Wandering thoughts; inability to sustain a train of thought
Incoherent speech
Irritability
Mental confusion (brain fog)
Wakeful myoclonic jerking
Unusual sensitivity to sudden sounds
Illogical thinking
Photophobia
Visual disturbances
Periodic flashes of light
Periodic changes in visual field
Visual snow
Restricted or "tunnel vision"
Visual, auditory, or other sensory hallucinations
Warping or waving of surfaces and edges
Textured surfaces
"Dancing" lines; "spiders", insects; form constants
Lifelike objects indistinguishable from reality
Phantom smoking
Hallucinated presence of people not actually there

Five pills a hour lol... yes benadyrl activates the sympathetic nervous zyzgem at that dose causing extremely rapid pulse
Damn! It's the Benedryl! I've been popping these things like they were tic-tacs for years as I've always felt they were a great way to potentiate opiates. Especially if you want to keep your tollerance low. I do a week long full detox at least once every two months so it's much easier to do that if I'm not starting from a monstrous dosing point. I always thought Benedryl was one of the safest OTC drugs to use. It looks like I've been dancing with the devil for quite some time on this. I have used the prescription antihistamine Vistaryl (Hydroxyzine) in the same manner. I stopped taking it b/c it worked too well and I couldn't wake up the next day. I'd sleep through my alarms and everything else.

Guys thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate you. I feel like a complete idiot, but at the same time I have a great sense of relief. I'm almost positive the Benedryl was the problem. I'll report back either way.

Have a great night gentlemen?

https://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Diphenhydramine.shtml

Check out how crazy the reports are of people taking this.

Im honestly surprised you didnt start having extreme hallucinations and incoherent speach like

Hey whats up?

Spides walk but legs they have.

Dude wtf?

What? Futt? Cutt ? Luck?

Are you ok do you need to go to the hospital?

Hos pit talllllll pit pit tal hos pital pit fall i dare say how pitifil the broncos did today in the game of baseball i didnt watch nor see