• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Success using kratom for opiate withdrawal?

Stuck_x

Bluelighter
Hey guys,

Firstly let me start by saying ive read through the kratom megathreads.

i have been reading a lot about how kratom is a great withdrawal tool. Yet i dont seem to have found a thread that follows the whole withdrawal process, including getting off of the kratom.

I have also read about people withdrawing kratom itsself.

What i would like, is to hear personal experiences with this intriguing herb, especially from people who have used it to get clean.... And maybe even stayed clean.

Wonder herb or dependance trap?

For some people it's a great tool to combat withdrawals, I know it was for me.
Sadly, I am STILL using Kratom because long behold it has withdrawals too.
It's better than shooting dope though and I don't think the withdrawals would be nearly as bad.
What I am doing is just slowly taking less and less Kratom until I am out then just use some OTC medicines to help
withdrawals.

Thats fkr your response. Cani ask how long you used whilst withdrawing? & also, i know it's pretty much impossible to say. But Roughly, when do u feel u became dependant on the kratom?

The few times ive gone through withdrawal, i tend to then rely on something else. Which is why people say cold turkey is the best way I suppose

While I was withdrawaling from heroin and other substances,
I used Kratom 3 times a day at about 4 to 6 grams each dose.
It's kind of hard to say when I became dependant on the Kratom though,
since I was withdrawaling from other opiates while I was on Kratom.
I wake up with some anxiety in the morning but that's all really so I know
that the withdrawals won't be too bad.
It's worth a try honestly if you're trying to get off the harder stuff.
Kratom is pretty cheap and a great detox tool!
I have been on it for roughly almost 2 months now.

Well done for getting as far as you have, thats massive :D

as much as these forums are a lifesaver for many, i think because there are also a lot of younger user who've maybe not experienced what we have, can make the withdrawal from kratom sound awful & because we're already scared of withdrawal we all blow it out of proportion. Dont get me wrong, im not saying it's only young peope & im not saying its not true that theyre are 'easier' but the brain is a powerful thing & i think we make thing worse for ourselves cause we build it all up.

Any, i have purchased some kratom & its due to arrive tomorrow. I am hoping this is the best & last withdrawal i will go through, but we can never say never.

i also ordered a LOT. Im kind of thinking once its done its job, there should be a fair bit remaining, so if the ugly urged head appears, i can stave it off with the odd bit of kratom

Good job on making the leap!
You'll feel so much better, I promise.
It took about 3 or 4 days to adjust with Kratom.
It took about 85% of my withdrawal symptoms and then after a few days, I would actually feel a nice buzz off of it.
Just remember, don't use it too too long so you don't get addicted to the Kratom.
Regardless though, it's one of the easier things to come off of, better than coming off of a massive oxy or heroin habit ;)

Good luck to you mate and keep me updated on your journey!

I've been using kratom to get off suboxone, there's another thread similar to this made by Zerwas which has some good information. Anyway, I find it really works well, I even get a nice mood lift from it sometimes. I haven't gotten off the kratom yet but from what I have heard it's a walk in the park compared to kicking heroin.

I've also used it succesfully for myself and 12 others. We've gotten off opiates, but nearly all of that group is now dependent on kratom. It is a unique and persistent plant. I often say it's "the best addiction ive ever had" in that it does what it does non-destructively.. more like weed than anything else. But it is there. I'm going to try haentos to come off the kratom. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I would say though, that life on kratom is INFINITELY preferable to life on real opiates. to the point that id take a kilo of kratom over a KILO of oxy any day of the week(assuming Im on an island and can't trade/capitalize on the situation).
'

I agree with the above, life on kratom is so much better than life on opiates. I've found that opiates like heroin numb your emotions, to the point where when youre doing heroin every day it starts become all you think about because you cant enjoy normal things anymore since you cant really feel your emotions. so the only joy you have is the feeling when you shoot up and leaves you actually feeling down and depressed. kratom on the other hand, does not numb out your emotions nearly as much so you can actually live a normal life without constantly thinking about your next dose. sometimes i forget to take my next dose of kratom and only realize once i feel withdrawal creeping in,. when i was shooting heroin, i never "forgot" to shoot up.

Yeah I totally am in agreement with burn out and cdin. I'm real new to kratom, I'm taking it to get off subs (though I plan on staying on it for a while), and it's honestly working so much better than buprenorphine or methadone ever did in terms of curbing cravings and just being happy in general. 'Done and Bupe always left me feeling hollow inside, and felt kind of like a tease for what I really wanted (heroin), with kratom, the effects are less 'superficial' feeling, and I actually enjoy my monotonous existence in ohio somewhat (a lot more than I did before Kratom). I would also say that kratom is a great plant for ex-opiate addicts because there is a limit to what it can do for you after a while, and taking higher dosages will just make you feel sick. That being said, it seems that if you switch things up a bit (different strains, try making tea if you've been T&W'ing and vice versa) you can get good consistent effects from it. Or at least that's been my experience thus far. In a week I'm getting some more kratom, this time I plan on getting a few different strains rather than just bali. I'm also getting some kava, which I look forward to trying with the kratom.

And Burnout you're right on about heroin v kratom. With kratom your world does not start to rotate soley on it's use, and like you, I only take it when I start to feel withdrawals kicking in. With heroin, it was all I thought about, all my activities were surrounding heroin, etc.

Just know, it is hitting mu receptor, and as such, is gonna cause withdrawal. YMMV, but IME above 10g a day is where it gets to be a real habit. I've had to go up to 30g a day for pain before. Tapering is fairly straightforward, not terribly painful. but yah. below 10 is painful, but doable, above 10g it becomes like any other actual opiate.

Good to know thanks all. I guess if you're aware of the risks maybe you can plan better for the situation

I've been lurking for over 4 years, this group has always been my go to.
I guess now it's time for me to say something. ..
I'm detoxing from heroin. Had the Kratom for nearly 2 months, first attempts I didn't notice it helped. Anyhow, I had used Kratom during the last two days of using heroin and yesterday I forgot taking my dose of Kratom because I wasn't feeling too bad. All of a sudden, in the evening, I was in so much pain, trembling and just feeling like death.
That's when I realized: this damn stuff... it works! Parachooted a new dose, slept like a baby, no pain!
It's a God sent!

To all of you delaying your detox because you're scared of withdrawal : PLEASE give this a try!

You'll have to find the dose that works for you,though!

Hello Stuck_x. If you have never used Kratom before, familiarize your self with it. It doesn't matter atm what strain you ordered, just that you know how it makes you feel. I had some kind of powder Kratom ( according to the site I looked the name up on) it was more euphoric. Now when I eat it, when it kicks in (remember, this is all subjective) it felt warm, like hydrocodone and at some point near the end, it had a norepinephrine kind of stimulation left over on the come down. IMO, if you go into this substance with a mindset of strictly a maintainence/taper tool and not any recreational type of attitude and you can adjust your diet to handle some left over stimulation, you should be able to use this successfully for withdrawal, regardless of the type of Kratom or quality.

I wanted to give you a general idea. You may want to ask or research different strains, sample some, just don't get stuck in hype.

Last thing, I have noticed that if you take hot water and put a small amount of Kratom in the glass (teaspoon), the taste of Kratom wiil be fairly strong and allow you to use small amounts of Kratom helping the end of your taper while giving you the feeling of having a much larger dose.

That's interesting that you get the stimulant effects as the kratoms wearing off, because for me it's the exact opposite, but your totally right about comparing it to hydrocodone. I've also found that switching up the way you take the kratom actually helps keep the effects fresh, for instance, switching between T&W and tea. Another thing I realized after a while from taking kratom was that I was taking an unnecessarily high dosage, and that I'd get pretty much the same effects at a much lower dosage (kind of like buprenorphine), and then every once in a while if I double that dose I can get a pretty good buzz going. It's been 2 weeks now since I took any suboxone at all, and I honestly feel much better on kratom, in terms of maintenance. I have to dose more often then I would with Subs, but I don't mind that (after all I used to shoot up multiple times a day so whats drinking some horrible tasting tea-which brings me to my last point, if I soak the kratom in lemon/lime/orange juice for 45minutes or so I've found that the tea is way less bitter).

Update : been clean for a month, my husband followed suit two weeks after me. He was absolutely shocked at how much kratom helped! If course, you still do feel a bit of the sickness, but it's absolutely bearable! Haven't used Kratom for two weeks now, it was NOT a struggle to quit taking it.

^ Congrats! Stay strong during the paws phase! Good luck

- Hopeless

Amazing well done!! Todays the first day no krat for me, 6 days no subutex & 12 no H x