• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Subutex

VanOccupanther

Bluelighter
A question on precipitated withdrawal:
Does anyone know if you’d get the dreaded PRECIPITATED WITHDRAWAL if you took buprenorphine after only one day of taking opiates (maybe quite a lot) or do you have to have been taking an opiate for a while. I.e long enough for you to go in to withdrawal if you just stopped? Subutex is a strange drug for sure.

It varies. When I was on buprenorphine maintenance I could take opioids (I'm some sort of mutant who experiences no blocking effect from bupe even when I was on 16mgs/day or 32mg/every other day) and then next morning take my subs and never experienced PWDs.

Unfortunately there appears to be no hard and fast rule or guarantee with this issue and I have spoken to people who did similar things and did have PWDs

What I’ve found (with recent experimentation) is that if I take an opiate while I’ve been on bupe it does very little unless I’ve stopped taking bupe for quite a while (approx a week) but I can go straight back on bupe after each brief period on said opiate. I’m guessing the horrible precipitated withdrawals happen when you take a substance long enough to build a tolerance, so you’d be in a position where you’d get wds if you went cold turkey. So I can spend a couple of wasted days off bupe on something else (not getting high having spent plenty of money) and then painlessly get back on bupe as if nothing ever happened. Interesting (if frustrating!).