• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Substituting Kratom for Adderall when prescription runs out

V4838

Greenlighter
Hi. Can certain doses of Kratom substitute for Adderall? Is there any comparison? Asking for a friend who always seems to run out of his monthly Adderall prescription for ADHD a couple of weeks in advance and does not want to suffer any withdrawals. What's the best strain of Kratom for increased focus, alertness and energy? Does Kratom need any potentiators to be more effective? Thanks guys.

I know both Kratom and Adderall pretty well but the question you are answering is pretty hard and I'm not sure it has one answer and many people might have different opinions.

First, what do you want to use Kratom to substitute Adderall for?

ADHD?

Energy and Focus?

Kratom has never been approved for ADHD like Adderall has so I can't say that you should or should use it for that.

Have you ever used Kratom before? Cause it sounds like you haven't.

They have similarities and differences but I prefer Kratom but it's more addictive unfortunately.

Adderall is a pure stimulant with no opioid properties and any calmness it gives you will be as a result of some kind of mechanism relating to ADHD that I can't explain.

But Kratom strains vary and overall, Kratom is both a stimulant and depressant with mild opioid properties and many strains like middle of the road green strains like green malay or green borneo kind of feel like a mix of green tea stimulation and vicodin relaxing opioid properties, but lower doses are stimulating and higher doses more sedating.

Strains are not usually consistent across vendor.

You can't just straight up say "this strain is good for that", because what one vendor calls green borneo may be the same as another's White Maeng Da as another's Red Thai.

Kratom is still the wild west and the only way to know what's up is to pick a vendor and experiment.

I mean sure, there are common trends you could follow...like white strains like White Maeng Da are SUPPOSED to be the most stimulating (or other white strains), greens like green boreno, green Thai and Green Malay both stimulating and relaxing, and Reds like Red Thai or Red Borneo sedating, but you can't trust it will always be like that so you have to experiment.

Me personally, I have a weird reaction to stimulants like Adderall/Dexadrine/Vyvanse where they will only work for me under 2 conditions: 1) If I'm REALLY tired and haven't slept well 2) if I combine them with Kratom and the Kratom will kill the negative side effects.

If I sleep well and don't take Kratom and just take Dex/Adderall/Vyvanse I will actually feel a combination of tired and jittery and NOT be able to focus and I don't know why...so what I can tell you is they go GREAT together if you have the chance.

But...like, if we are talking about focus, alterness and energy, you can get all that from most white and green strains of Kratom, ESPECIALLY with some coffee or tea combined in there.

But the weird thing is you are asking about Adderall withdrawals and stopping them with Kratom and: 1) most people don't usually get Amp WDS unless they take a REAL lot 2) I don't know if there's real proof that Kratom can cover up or get rid of Amp WD, but I would not be surprised if it could cause Kratom is great for lots of stuff.

I find personally that Kratom potentiators don't work for me.

Be careful cause Kratom is addictive and tolerance goes up fast and I love it but soon you could be needing it daily and feeling tired and depressed without it.

There's no sure way to substitute one for the other, but, for example, if you have a hard day of work ahead of you and need focus and don't have Adderall I would personally feel for myself that a green or white strain like green malay, green borneo, green thai or White Maeng Da with some coffee would make you feel as good or really IMO better than Adderall.

Adderall has minor withdrawals compared to opiates, and make no mistake, kratom is an opioid. The worst that happens with adderall is you crash for a couple days and maybe feel a little off for another few days. Kratom withdrawals can be much more troublesome.

If your friend is running out that early they either need to scale back their usage or have their doctor increase the dose, maybe a little of both.

Kratom will only partially substitute for adderall and eventually when you get a tolerance to it the motivational effects completely disappear.