• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Substance Induced Psychosis_related studies

The Shadow Self

Bluelighter

Some interesting information for anyone interested.

Last edited:
I wish they wouldn't focus so much on this fucking nightmare and wacky old trainwreck of a diagnosis schizophrenia is. Docs throw this at everybody they fail to diagnose, and love to come up with the thing of 'drug abuse => schizo'. They should focus on the differences, like the fact that for many drug induced cases of psychosis the antipsychs don't work or can even worsen the symptoms. On how many cases avoid doctors and recover, or don't recover, without medication and psychiatric therapy.

I went through a decent variant of drug and sleep deprivation induced psychosis, including hearing voices and delusional thoughts and while I was in therapy, I only got the diagnosis schizophrenia AFTER it all resolved and I eventually lost the fight against myself not to ask for antipsychotics. I knew they say that psychosis comes in waves and I wanted to have something which could stop the delusions of they should ever happen again. THEN I got this diagnosis, and with it they denied me any more stims (not caring about that it wasn't stims but dissociatives). Was on a reputed psychiatric/addiction treatment center which I expected to do better.

Psychiatry is deeply flawed, not just saying this because of my own case but countless sad ones I've experienced and talked to while an inpatient (mostly voluntarily; the involuntary wards are horrible and in some seemingly developed parts of the world not too unsimilar to how Hollywood depicts them.

i know most cannabis users like to hide or just forget about side effects of it.but in my experience it wasn't like what they advertise about it.it was just a bad feeling plus some hallucinations.i guess people who like marijuana they have a desire to experience these kind of strange feelings.its not like its good for everyone but they tell people its like that maybe to grow their business.
i think its necessary to tell truth about what someone is using no matter we like it or not.

I wish they wouldn't focus so much on this fucking nightmare and wacky old trainwreck of a diagnosis schizophrenia is. Docs throw this at everybody they fail to diagnose, and love to come up with the thing of 'drug abuse => schizo'. They should focus on the differences, like the fact that for many drug induced cases of psychosis the antipsychs don't work or can even worsen the symptoms. On how many cases avoid doctors and recover, or don't recover, without medication and psychiatric therapy.

I went through a decent variant of drug and sleep deprivation induced psychosis, including hearing voices and delusional thoughts and while I was in therapy, I only got the diagnosis schizophrenia AFTER it all resolved and I eventually lost the fight against myself not to ask for antipsychotics. I knew they say that psychosis comes in waves and I wanted to have something which could stop the delusions of they should ever happen again. THEN I got this diagnosis, and with it they denied me any more stims (not caring about that it wasn't stims but dissociatives). Was on a reputed psychiatric/addiction treatment center which I expected to do better.

Psychiatry is deeply flawed, not just saying this because of my own case but countless sad ones I've experienced and talked to while an inpatient (mostly voluntarily; the involuntary wards are horrible and in some seemingly developed parts of the world not too unsimilar to how Hollywood depicts them.
Psychosis isn't what leads to schizophrenia. It's the repeated exposure to the substance to the point that it's actually caused that level of brain damage and it's permanent. This is also a distinction that needs to be made.

Psychosis isn't what leads to schizophrenia. It's the repeated exposure to the substance to the point that it's actually caused that level of brain damage and it's permanent. This is also a distinction that needs to be made.
oh please don't make people hopeless...i am sure there should be a way to reverse damage.maybe there will be some treatments in the future.
an interesting treatment i think a lot about it is hemispherectomy(removing one side of brain) and after doing it brain can repair itself and be like a normal one.its very strange how much healing potential there is.
but its usually on kids where they are at the growth age

oh please don't make people hopeless...i am sure there should be a way to reverse damage.maybe there will be some treatments in the future.
an interesting treatment i think a lot about it is hemispherectomy(removing one side of brain) and after doing it brain can repair itself and be like a normal one.its very strange how much healing potential there is.
but its usually on kids where they are at the growth age
If you're not to the point of drug (as in meth) indiced schizophrenia, then If suggest you use a lower and a selteady amount for the duration of any continued dependence. Big shocks up and down can be the split. They can induce psychoses all on their own and the psychological trauma of those is probably MORE powerful than actual demyelination. Demyelination is when the methamphetamine used a ton strips the white or grey matter off your neurons and you resemble a schizophrenic brain - worst case scenario.

If you're drug induced schizo and in meth, it's a double whammy. If you go into a psychosis it's a triple whammy. If your ptsd from the experiences of this is a quadratic mind fuck from tu netherdimensional heaven AND hell and all between - no mercy. (Psychobabble)

CBD products ingested like avape is neuroprotective. Drink lots of water (I mean water) and eat a balanced amount and take vitamins if needed. Some people disbelieve the efficiency due to low absorption but who cares tweaker you need off the vit T and onto the vit B bruh...

I'm not cool at all. But seriously. Homeostasis even in your amt of drug consumed prior to quitting and in everything else. Learn healthy self talk and CBT and DBT and stuff too. Being crazy is traumatizing, not being believed or caref about is worse, and it's a vicious cycle.

It does end for most without the nightmare scenario of permafried or dead. Harm reduction and healthy choices are always good on order no matter what.

Always believe things are getting better because you accomplished xyz. You don't need to be perfect.

All that .

Heh, reminds me of my own experience.

I remember when I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I had been seeing the shrink for 9 months, and one day he seemed frustrated, sort of paused for a minute, scratched his head, then threw up his hands and said "we'll call it drug induced schizophrenia".

It's sort of a catch all diagnosis for things they don't understand. That's why its called a spectrum now with other things like schizoaffective, schizotypal, etc.

I don't know, for the first few months of my psychoisis I definitely had classic schizophrenia symptoms, but these went away.

I think I'd just describe it as "drug induced brain damage", but this is too blunt of a medical term and not specific enough to prescribe for.

i know most cannabis users like to hide or just forget about side effects of it.but in my experience it wasn't like what they advertise about it.it was just a bad feeling plus some hallucinations.i guess people who like marijuana they have a desire to experience these kind of strange feelings.its not like its good for everyone but they tell people its like that maybe to grow their business.
i think its necessary to tell truth about what someone is using no matter we like it or not.
It takes some ball's to get stoned, btw a lot of lady smoker's showing there ball's recently ( smoking big cones publically all by them selves ). It used to be more of a guy among each other, dark coffeeshop drug.

And its not a guaranteed feel good drug that you nailed precisely. The first 20/ 30 minutes especially are more like a psychedelic test. Once you get used that effect lessens. But tolerance can be reseted by one day of abstinence. At least in my case.

In my youth a friend, a notorious heavy toker! That never had an psychose or was diagnozed schizophrenic before that event.

He got his first psychosis when we were on his first 'without parent's vacation'. Later on all factors about the cause of it were blamed on the weed. He had to go through detox during his admission mental institution.

Imo it was the shock of being outside his own enviroment. The anxiety of the holiday.
He mentioned, later on, not being able to sleep, we shared a cabin together with another friend. But I noticed nothing on the outside that would indicate the upcoming psychosis.
it was on the way back in the train. Another friend approached me, we were with 6 people, telling me ... is talking giberish. And after checking him out it was obvious there was something wrong with him.

At arrivel we contacted his dad. The fact he had an psychose was kept from us. it was months later via via we learned this. But he is doing OK now. Quit THC for good, which is a acomplisment worth noting as this guy was litterally a MJ addict. And Psychosis and Cannabis don't go together well.

Some interesting information for anyone interested.
Are the participant's screened for previous Cannabis use you think? It isn't mentioned as far as i can see.

My friend definitely got psychotic from smoking THC after his first psychose. As if there is a connection between the two.

If you're not to the point of drug (as in meth) indiced schizophrenia, then If suggest you use a lower and a selteady amount for the duration of any continued dependence. Big shocks up and down can be the split. They can induce psychoses all on their own and the psychological trauma of those is probably MORE powerful than actual demyelination. Demyelination is when the methamphetamine used a ton strips the white or grey matter off your neurons and you resemble a schizophrenic brain - worst case scenario.

If you're drug induced schizo and in meth, it's a double whammy. If you go into a psychosis it's a triple whammy. If your ptsd from the experiences of this is a quadratic mind fuck from tu netherdimensional heaven AND hell and all between - no mercy. (Psychobabble)

CBD products ingested like avape is neuroprotective. Drink lots of water (I mean water) and eat a balanced amount and take vitamins if needed. Some people disbelieve the efficiency due to low absorption but who cares tweaker you need off the vit T and onto the vit B bruh...

I'm not cool at all. But seriously. Homeostasis even in your amt of drug consumed prior to quitting and in everything else. Learn healthy self talk and CBT and DBT and stuff too. Being crazy is traumatizing, not being believed or caref about is worse, and it's a vicious cycle.

It does end for most without the nightmare scenario of permafried or dead. Harm reduction and healthy choices are always good on order no matter what.

Always believe things are getting better because you accomplished xyz. You don't need to be perfect.

All that .
Demyelination does not cause schizophrenia.

If it did, everybody with multiple sclerosis would be schizophrenic and they're not.

In fact, demyelination occurs in the brain all the time and re-myelination occurs in the brain all the time. Unfortunately, due to the inflammatory cytokines present in people with multiple sclerosis, autophagy and remyelination in the brain of people with MS. Is vastly reduced.

Demyelination does not cause schizophrenia.

If it did, everybody with multiple sclerosis would be schizophrenic and they're not.

In fact, demyelination occurs in the brain all the time and re-myelination occurs in the brain all the time. Unfortunately, due to the inflammatory cytokines present in people with multiple sclerosis, autophagy and remyelination in the brain of people with MS. Is vastly reduced.
When you start writing a response about dymelination of neurons in meth users long term resembling the already tattered neurons of the schizophrenic patient who did not ezpetiencr demyelination, we can talk

people nitpicking on stupid shit to be the Technically expert

Technically youre addressing the not even on subject part if these words dont nake sense dont worey beither did the respons3

Sorry @shugenja this is too close a follow up to the past intellectual jab to not take it like you are just razzing me now.

Sorry @shugenja this is too close a follow up to the past intellectual jab to not take it like you are just razzing me now.
Not really. It's just there's no actual causal link between demyelination and schizophrenia.

In fact, there are many demyelinating diseases that don't result in schizophrenia or psychosis. Multiple sclerosis, ALS, Guillain-Barre, etc.

Furthermore, amphetamine induced psychosis commonly occurs quite quickly in susceptible individuals without any evidence of demyelination or dysmyelination. Studies have shown that as little as 75 mg of amphetamine per day for one week is enough to cause amphetamine induced psychosis.

Furthermore, the current consensus is that the over release and reuptake inhibition of dopamine is the causative factor in stimulant and amphetamine and do psychosis.

The effectiveness of risperdone, and other dopamine antagonists that result in acute resolution of stimulant induced psychosis tends to support that hypothesis.

So yeah I'm challenging your statement that demyelination is the cause of stimulant induced psychosis or schizophrenia.

Not really. It's just there's no actual causal link between demyelination and schizophrenia.

In fact, there are many demyelinating diseases that don't result in schizophrenia or psychosis. Multiple sclerosis, ALS, Guillain-Barre, etc.

Furthermore, amphetamine induced psychosis commonly occurs quite quickly in susceptible individuals without any evidence of demyelination or dysmyelination. Studies have shown that as little as 75 mg of amphetamine per day for one week is enough to cause amphetamine induced psychosis.

Furthermore, the current consensus is that the over release and reuptake inhibition of dopamine is the causative factor in stimulant and amphetamine and do psychosis.

The effectiveness of risperdone, and other dopamine antagonists that result in acute resolution of stimulant induced psychosis tends to support that hypothesis.

So yeah I'm challenging your statement that demyelination is the cause of stimulant induced psychosis or schizophrenia.
I basically agree. But not why you think lol. I still think you're picking in a non issue in the logic here

Demyleniation to resemble schizophrenia suggests demyleniation did not occur with the schizophrenic case. No shit.