• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Suboxone

Binky7766

Bluelighter
I’ve just started taking suboxone Rx under the care of an MD for chronic pain. He said some people come off it after a few weeks and others opt to stay on it for life because it really helps them. Depends on the person.

What I’m wondering is, how long will it take for me to become officially addicted? I have been on it for 5 days so far, 8 mgs a day.

Also, if I add more to the prescribed daily dose, can I get high? I did feel a little high after my first dose. And I’d like to see if I can feel that way again. I know, typical.

Finally, I’m having surgery in August. Is it ok to take morphine or oxys post-surgery? Or will I need to stop the suboxone a few days beforehand?

Last edited:
More will make you more sedated really but after about 8mg for a few weeks not much difference in the high well maybe for a while but after 32mg the ceiling effect happens and it's just wasteful I've tried many times and that's what happens to most people anyways. But for a while you may get a high from it depending on what you have taken before and how much. Any other painkillers ? Would give a better idea of your tolerance.

Oh just noticed again you asked about oxy you won't feel that on subs I'm almost positive..no high anyways. It would take more than a few days if you will have a few weeks doses I'm sure..some people say they can..lucky them but a lotta people can't I guess unless slamming it and a lotta oxy.

More will make you more sedated really but after about 8mg for a few weeks not much difference in the high well maybe for a while but after 32mg the ceiling effect happens and it's just wasteful I've tried many times and that's what happens to most people anyways. But for a while you may get a high from it depending on what you have taken before and how much. Any other painkillers ? Would give a better idea of your tolerance.
I have a very high tolerance for opioids. If I doubled my dose from 8 mg film to 16 mg (2 films), will I catch a buzz? And any idea on my question about my upcoming surgery?

The "high" from Suboxone always felt more like poisoning to me. Sort of like when you take too much Benadryl. It doesn't have that clean euphoria that you would expect from something like Oxy. It's purely medicinal.

Exactly^ already wide awake and barely any sleep compared to being sedated and never enough sleep on bupe and the high always sucked aside from the first few times when it leveled me out to "normal" again.

The "high" from Suboxone always felt more like poisoning to me. Sort of like when you take too much Benadryl. It doesn't have that clean euphoria that you would expect from something like Oxy. It's purely medicinal.
I do know what you mean. The first time I did it, however, I did feel mild euphoria that lasted throughout the day. After that first time, I was not able to recapture that feeling. Now, when I take it, it definitely is more of a medicinal feeling.

So, I ask again, how long does one need to be on Suboxone before they are addicted to it? I’ve been on a week, so, if I stopped taking it now, would I go through a withdrawal? I’m curious because I have heard that the withdrawal from Suboxone is worse than heroin withdrawal.

A week shouldn't be too bad although because of the long half life of bupe it may last a while and u might not get any high for days since it will stack in your system each daily dose.

Finally, I’m having surgery in August. Is it ok to take morphine or oxys post-surgery? Or will I need to stop the suboxone a few days beforehand?
As long as you have bupe in your system, the other opioids won't work at reasonable dosages. So you don't have to stop (as in not getting precipitated wd) but need to if you want to be able to get relief from the more potent opioids.

So, I ask again, how long does one need to be on Suboxone before they are addicted to it? I’ve been on a week, so, if I stopped taking it now, would I go through a withdrawal? I’m curious because I have heard that the withdrawal from Suboxone is worse than heroin withdrawal.
I only took it a couple of times, so I can't speak from experience. But I do know that it has a crazy long half-life, and I've been through weeks of Methadone withdrawal before, so I imagine it's similar.

I’ve just started taking suboxone Rx under the care of an MD for chronic pain. He said some people come off it after a few weeks and others opt to stay on it for life because it really helps them. Depends on the person.

What I’m wondering is, how long will it take for me to become officially addicted? I have been on it for 5 days so far, 8 mgs a day.

Also, if I add more to the prescribed daily dose, can I get high? I did feel a little high after my first dose. And I’d like to see if I can feel that way again. I know, typical.

I have a similar question. I have spinal surgery in 3 weeks and I'm on 20 mg of Suboxone daily. They told me I would be in some significant post-op pain and I'm just wondering how much I need to reduce the Suboxone before the surgery in order to reap the benefits of the post op meds. Does anyone have any idea?

I do know what you mean. The first time I did it, however, I did feel mild euphoria that lasted throughout the day. After that first time, I was not able to recapture that feeling. Now, when I take it, it definitely is more of a medicinal feeling.

Yes your body is already physically addicted to it. I too have been on Suboxone for a little over a year and I will say even an 8 mg dose got me pretty high for a few hours but that's not so much the case anymore. Doubling your dosage might work once or twice in terms of getting a high but that's it. There is a ceiling effect. Concerning your surgery though, I am in exactly the same boat. You would need to be off the Suboxone completely for at least 3 days in order to feel any post-op meds. Suboxone can be a wonderful drug and it is helped me greatly but that's if you use it properly.

You won't get high off of the oxy for sure. Suboxone is a weird drug. I tried it when I was opioid naive and kept vomiting and nodded so hard it was scary to the point where I threw the rest of them in the trash.