• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone withdrawal intensity by length of use.

dopemegently

Bluelighter
I've got a question regarding

this issue; I've been on it eight years at 12mg. Can I expect a harder time than if I were using it say, for a year?

this could be rubbish, but I read on a post somewhere else that when your on a SOA, you'll get sick often. This poster said that this is the brain trying to get back to normal, but with a drug like suboxone it's medicated constantly, meaning it has no idea what it should be like without the opiate, so the process is far more difficult.
If this is true, could a decade-long user ever get back to normal?

I haven't been able to find a thread anywhere dealing exclusively with the length of use versus the intensity of withdrawal, and I only ask because I will soon be reducing, and I want to be prepared. BTW I'm not scientifically trained; I have no knowledge of brain chemistry.

Last edited:
Cool, you have been on subutex almost exactly as long as I was and at the exact same dose. I quit cold turkey last year, withdrawal lasted 2 months then another 3 months of PAWS. Then it was done, except restless legs that never went away :/

That's mostly what I'm worried about, the duration of it. I literally haven't been sick for such a long time, I can barely remember what it even feels like!

That's amazing you quit cold turkey after such a long time, I don't think I could so that. But maybe it's the best way.

That's mostly what I'm worried about, the duration of it. I literally haven't been sick for such a long time, I can barely remember what it even feels like!

That's amazing you quit cold turkey after such a long time, I don't think I could so that. But maybe it's the best way.

Very interesting question OP. I too have wondered about the correlation of length of Suboxone use vs. PAWS duration. From other recovery journals I've read, it seems that the long-term (10 years plus) Sub users often report PAWS lasting upwards of 1-2 years, but these success stories are hard to find and the forum I read most of them on is very anti-suboxone in general (subsux).

Personally, I quit off 8mg cold turkey 6 months ago after <1 year on subs. The PAWS still come here and there, but for the most part I think I'm in the clear.

I believe your age when you quit is probably the biggest factor for recovery. Younger brains tend to recover quicker, which may also be related to length of use.

Sorry for no definite evidence either way, just giving you some info I've gotten after researching this same question.

This is true, there are a hell of a lot of horror stories on the net about this. My key worker tells me it's all in the taper; ill be looking at a very long (two year plus) taper.. I know I'm not gonna play without paying for this long-term use, but I'm trying to stay positive and not panic; logic would tell me only the people who had trouble quitting are posting their stories, while the successful ones simply move past it.

Anyones brain can get back to normal eventually. However, the longer you use for, the more of a transition you will have to make.

As for the withdrawals, yes, length of use is a big factor in determining the severity of symptoms. That and dosage are the two major components.

i was on buprenorphine for ~15months, it has been 30 days since my last dose, and i still feel awful. no sleep which contributes to the already god awful depletion of energy. i feel like i dont have a soul; i dont feel human at all.

good luck man, getting of the subs is no easy task! the WD is not THAT intense, it just lasts foorrrrrrrrreverrrrrrrrr

Yea though it sucked, I don't believe it was the best way. Don't cold turkey long acting opiates it just sucks since the withdrawal lasts forrrrreeeeverrrr as stated above.

^yyeah you probably want to do a taper because suboxone wd last forrrrrrrrrreverrrrrrrrr... lol <3 toz

Yeah, I fell if I'd known about the true nature of this drug, I'd have run away screaming...

I find planning for the worst by taking proactive action helps when it comes to the fear and panic, so right now I'm in the process of researching and procuring drugs to (hopefully) alleviate withdrawal symptoms, while avoiding getting re-addicted to other stuff. That's the main reason I joined this forum, actually.

I've heard an out there theory that using a weak, short-acting opiate like codeine can help the brain readjust after suboxone disccontinuation, but I'd rather avoid this. I'm looking into kratom, loperamide and phenibut, but I understand these also have downsides.

Yeah, I fell if I'd known about the true nature of this drug, I'd have run away screaming...

I find planning for the worst by taking proactive action helps when it comes to the fear and panic, so right now I'm in the process of researching and procuring drugs to (hopefully) alleviate withdrawal symptoms, while avoiding getting re-addicted to other stuff. That's the main reason I joined this forum, actually.

I've heard an out there theory that using a weak, short-acting opiate like codeine can help the brain readjust after suboxone disccontinuation, but I'd rather avoid this. I'm looking into kratom, loperamide and phenibut, but I understand these also have downsides.

Taking anything is just going to prolong the process or worse, set you back.

Unfortunately, we did this to ourselves, and the only thing that actually works is time. I know no addict wants to hear that (I don't want to hear it myself whenever I say it in my own head to myself) but it's true.

It's the whole short-term pleasure versus long-term pain scenario, isn't it? I'm an addict; ill take the pleasure before the pain each and every time, and I'm just waking up to the fact I'm going to have to pay for my pleasure plus interest. I need to "man up" and stare this in the face, or I'll lose myself.

Personally when my time on sub is over im gonna try to step down with hydrocodone for a couple months. There is no possible way i would live through months long withdrawal. I cant even stand the mornongs i wake up semi sick when i forget to dose my sub. I just have a nasty feeling that a percentage of long term suboxone users will have PAWS lasting fucking years and years. I am really considering switching to methadone next year. At least we know the long term effects of that shit.

I hate that too. I get an icy-burning sweating feeling, and that's just if I'm late by 24 hours. We don't have hydrocodone in the UK, so I'm not sure if its a good idea or not.

You have to admit though, it would be fucking grand not to need to dose every single day. I only feel good for about 3 hours after I take it, then I feel nothing. I'm taking it to avoid getting sick, nothing more and nothing less. It just feels like there's so little payoff. (Knowing I can't use other opiates has eliminated cravings for me,though

I was on subs for two years. My highest dose was 8 mg I think and I was always tapering down, meaning I only kept the same dose for max 1 or 2 months. I don't understand why people would stop at any dose higher than 2 mg and suffer. I taped down to like .25 mg (basically a small crumb) before stopping and WD lasted only a week, and nothing too severe. Of course I've relapsed since then but that has nothing to do with the subs. They did manage to get me clean of H addiction without too much pain. I don't know how such a long time taking them will make your experience different, but I'd recommend tapering off gradually, to the point that in the last few days you're taking such a small dose that you're already getting some minor WD symptoms.

You from England too? me as well..I was on sub for 7 years...I am off for 7 weeks...It hasn't been that bad so far. I do have restless legs...I do take small doses of dihydrocodeine...The codiene isn't going to be that strong to fight sub withdrawals.

I tapered to 0.4 and was on low sub dose for last 4 years, I hope that played in my favour..

I don't think people suffer years and years of PAWS, I never met anybody to go through that...How do they hold out that long if its that bad? exactly.....

If people are going to switch to SAO-short acting opiates then they are better off doing it for 6 months, because its the aftermath we need to worry about, so they say....

Those who exercise regularly tend to recover faster..

That anti-sub website was created by a dude who more or less quit cold turkey from sub after 7 year use, so of course people will struggle if they get off like that...The sub is too strong to do cold turkey, it lingers on the receptors for a very long while, but having said sub is also too strong to taper too, unless someone wants to take a low dose 0.2 for 2 years, but who can do that?

I am hoping I do not get much in the way of PAWS...If I do I will battle through them...Am in my early 30s and do a lot of excericse, I was also on low dose of subs so am hoping this will limit my PAWS? we shall see.

I've got a question regarding this issue; I've been on it eight years at 12mg. Can I expect a harder time than if I were using it say, for a year?

Now, this could be rubbish, but I read on a post somewhere else that when your on a SOA, you'll get sick often. This poster said that this is the brain trying to get back to normal, but with a drug like suboxone it's medicated constantly, meaning it has no idea what it should be like without the opiate, so the process is far more difficult.
If this is true, could a decade-long user ever get back to normal?

I haven't been able to find a thread anywhere dealing exclusively with the length of use versus the intensity of withdrawal, and I only ask because I will soon be reducing, and I want to be prepared. BTW I'm not scientifically trained; I have no knowledge of brain chemistry.

I am on 9 days Bupe free, though it has been a struggle daily, I can feel things slowly getting better. I was having loads of anxiety so Xanax .5mg helped ease it slightly but did not completely mask it. I think the psychological dependency has been the most difficult element for me to endure.

The tapering method seemed to really simplify the physical symptoms. The experience has not been nowhere near as bad as I expected, especially compared to my previous withdrawl and attempts to get clean.

When I was taking the Bupe, I was content with my addiction being maintained by the meds but when I switched to Subutex, I found the cravings of the opiates returning gradually. I started to lose sight of the entire reason I started taking the bupe in the first place! I was slipping back in to old familiar habits. I was surprised by the fact that I was even able to even feel the oxymorphone and oxycodone. I was finding my habit once again doubled then soon after tripled. I wasn't wanting to be clean any longer and only dosed Bupe when it was my only option.

I'm struggling to find a way to eliminate the desire to medicate to escape. I am trying once again to detox. Without the Bupe, the desire and memory of opiates have returned. They have yet to consume me though.

When I tapered to 2mg Suboxone it was easier to jump off but I wish I had waited and tapered even lower. I was not aware tapering so low was possible. Anyways, as stated I been off 9 days and doing best I can. The battle to wake up and not need anything has consumed me once again. IMO mind over matter plays a big part in your recovery and success. For me, quitting has taken much practice but it is necessary in my desire to live dependent free. Best wishes with your journey.

Last edited:
Cheers for your stories raine, bobby jones, and southerndemise, it's helpful to hear from so many people who've tapered and quit this stuff (it's also kinda scary the sheer quantity of people who are on the stuff I'd be interested to hear if people felt they were in a position to make an informed decision when they got on the stuff; I'm not knocking it though- I believe it saved me from heroin addiction)

I do have access to tramadol, but I don't want to get trapped in that whole use-tolerance-heavier use cycle again. I remember the insecurity of getting sick and needing to dose every 3hours, not to mention the terror of discovering I've built a tolerance and would have to use larger amounts. (Started taking dihydrocodeine 60mgs at age 14, by age 18, I was on 1000 mgs, progressed to morphine, then h)

There is something to be said for a short 5 day withdrawal versus one that could last for months though...

Last edited:
I just want to add my 2 cents here. I’m not a medical professional but I have struggled with opiates for the better part of 20 years. I’m currently coming off buprenorphine of a maximum of 8mg daily now down to 2mg daily. When attempting any detox the number on thing to remember is stabilizing, our brains form connections and habits based on routines. If you can remember sobriety, how it feel, how you wake up in the morning, what you do before bed, how you feel with your loved ones, the way a good meal makes you feel joy, your brain will transition from the routine of opiates to the routine of none much much easier. Our satisfaction and joy comes from within ourselves. Dopamine from success and meals, oxytocin from helping others. Those two things are what you need to be sober. And if you are choosing to use opiates the single best advice I can give you is to not forget your routines of sobriety, remind yourself everyday you use, “if I was clean I would be doing this instead” and quitting anything will then be as simple as a decent reduction in dosage, as your neural connections will already be primed for the transfer. Love, Corey b.

dang you guys have big balls cahunas! i quit at .5mg and i still whine about that horrible sleepless restless achy emotion filled month. i watched moana with my kids like 10 times those first couple days and cried half a dozen times every time i watched it. lmao